Picking the best air purifier in 2021 is sometimes an expensive and complicated decision, as the best air purifiers deliver great airflow to clean large spaces, the performance you need to catch even the microscopic pollutants and the endurance to last many years. We’ve seen a huge selection of new air purifiers over the year, and this is our definitive list of the best air purifiers you can buy right now.
Let’s not waste countless hours searching through any other websites just to find the top rated air purifiers that fit your specific needs. Because in Breathe Quality:
- We do give honest reviews (both pros and cons) and a base comparison for all the air purifiers so anyone will guarantee to have the wisest choices.
- We do not (and we never) exaggerate one product just to let you click the links and buy that product blindly.
- We’re constantly updating our best air purifiers list to make sure you’re buying the absolute top air purifying system for your needs. It takes us at least 2 weeks of continuous running to guarantee the best performance of one air purifier. Last update is 8/2/2021.
When it comes to buying a new air purifier, some people may prefer to have the largest room coverage possible, along with the most advanced specs. And others want a solid mid-range air purifier that delivers all the basics without feeling cheap. To help you pick the best air purifier for you, we test hundreds of devices in the lab and in the real world to make our recommendations.
Our idea of the best air purifier has a top-notch air purifying performance, yet is economical and safe to use. Most devices are certified and tested strictly by many governmental organizations like the Energy Star (under U.S EPA), AHAM (Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers) or/and CARB (California Air Resources Board).
There are price considerations in our list, and we’ve factored that you can get the best air purifier for what you pay for. Our ranked air purifier list has something for everyone, including great bargains under $500 and under $200. Plus, there are some really great air purifier deals if you follow our deal. Just hit the Check Price button.
We know that not everyone has time to find, research, check reviews and ratings of air purifiers from a huge ton of websites. Therefore, this page aims at helping you find the right air purifier for your needs in a quick and efficient way.
We promise, our wish is nothing but your healthy life!
Other helpful lists of best air purifiers you should read:
We hope this list of the top rated best air purifiers in 2021 is exactly what you’re looking for and that it not only saves you time trying to find the right device but also helps you get the most value for your money! Thank you!
Base Comparison Table of Top 15 Best Air Purifiers in 2021
This Comparison Table of best air purifiers will help you have a quick overview of our list of Top 15 Best Air Purifiers in 2021. The factors for comparison in this table are the air filter types of this air purifier, we also give the most concerned factors as the room coverage, and the filter replacement of this air purifier for you.
Remember that you should check the review for each air purifier. We will share all the knowledge about the pros and cons of them, also with other products from the same air purifier’s manufacturers. So even if you can’t find your favorite air purifier products in this table, please look up for the review of the same brand’s product. There you will find your favorite best air purifier in 2021 for sure.
Top 15 Best Air Purifiers in 2021
1) Blueair HealthProtect 7770i – Our 2021 WinnerPreviously in our list: Rabbit Air MinusA2.
The Blueair HealthProtect 7770i is the best air purifier you can buy today, while the smaller (and slightly less capable) HealthProtect 7470i is so similar that we’ve lumped two together.
Blueair is a powerhouse in the air purifier industry, marking 20 years in this market. And the company has outdone itself with the four new HealthProtect models launched in last year, and if you are a fan of the Classic family from this brand, the flagship Blueair HealthProtect 7770i could well be the best air purifier for you. It’s packed with power and comes with a stylish new design, though Blueair devices are still at the more expensive end of the scale.
- Smart Filter – The ultimate Blueair HEPASilent Ultra technology help remove 99.97% of pollutants such as pollen, dust, pet dander, mold spores, viruses and bacteria down to 0.1 microns. It will destroy the viruses and bacteria instead of trapping them only.
The flagship HealthProtect 7770i is one of the few air purifiers released last year of course, which means you’re future-proofed when it comes to next-gen air purifying performance. The HEPASilent Ultra technology is more powerful than you’re really going to need, as it can remove and kill 99.97% of viruses and bacteria, dust, pollen, dander and mold, as well as eliminate VOC, and odors down to 0.1 microns. As tested, the new HEPASilent can clean better than any H13 True HEPA filter, while uses 55% less energy and has a 10% lower noise.
We also really like the flatter design that Blueair has introduced for the Blueair HealthProtect 7770i this year. It lets in more air, and the air purifier can deliver a higher CADR rating which blows away all other high-end machines. It can bring more clean air to every corner of the room.
Not only does the Blueair HealthProtect 7770i boast an unmatched performance, its smart features make it the best air purifier. Say goodbye to the old-styled air purifier, because you need to control your indoor air quality smarter.
And don’t forget that the best-in-class performance of this Blueair HealthProtect 7770i is certified by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM), so you get the most complete air purifier for the money and the highest personal fan power yet.
Here is the pros/cons of Blueair HealthProtect 7770i:
- Best-in-class performance (better than HEPA H13 filter)
- Unmatched fan power (top in list)
- Modern and stylish design
- Peak technology to reduce the noise level and maximize the airflow
- Top-class customer service
- Great mobility
Review: Blueair HealthProtect 7770i Review.
Other Blueair top considerations:
2) Levoit Core 300 – The Best Budget Air PurifierPreviously in our list: Levoit Core 300.
Even when Levoit released the new smart Levoit Core 200S this year, the old Levoit Core 300 still has taken this year by storm in terms of praise, with the hot new device winning critics over worldwide with its brilliant balance of features, quality and performance for a very attractive price point. This is the only Levoit device till date strictly tested and certified by the Energy Star, AHAM and CARB to be efficient and safe to use.
Winning Reddot Award and many other world-renowned awards for design, the Levoit Core 300 is the best budget portable air purifier with a powerful air cleaning system.
- Pre-filter – This nylon preliminary filter is able to capture large particles of pollutants. You need to vacuum this filter regularly because it is only effective for a short time.
- True HEPA Filter – A True HEPA Filter can reduce 99.97% down to 0.3 microns dust mites allergens, virus particles, pollen, bacteria particles. Can be customized:
- Pet Allergy – For anyone with extreme allergies with pets. Levoit also makes a special version of Levoit Core 300 for this feature: the Levoit Core P350.
- Toxin Absorber – For areas with high level of smoke, VOCs, or chemicals.
- Mold & Bacteria – For moisture-heavy environments.
- Activated Carbon Filter – It is great at eliminating odors and smoke in your home.
There are loads of things to love about the Levoit Core 300. It has the best True HEPA filter we’ve ever used and costs considerably less than some of its competitors. This original HEPA filter, just like the high-end Rabbit Air MinusA2, can be customized to fit your personal needs. If you have serious problems with allergies and asthma, you shouldn’t skip this air purifier. Its True HEPA filter meets the strict standards to remove 99.97% of dust, smoke, odor, mold spores, pet dander and particles as small as 0.3 microns.
At its price point, the air purifier is only for small room’s use. However, it has better fan power than most other competitors, solidifying the device as a winner. It’s also an even better deal now that the Core 200S is out, as Levoit will continue to maintain their position in the budget range. It’s worth mentioning that its CADR rating at 140 cfm is still the best at around $99.
However, the air purifier doesn’t have any smart features, so you can only control the device manually. Perhaps you should wait for the upcoming Core 300S to roll.
Here is the pros/cons of Levoit Core 300:
- Customized, high-quality HEPA filter
- Impressive fan power for the price
- Clean and compact design
- Nearly silent operation
- No Smart features
- A bit bigger for a night stand
Review: Levoit Core 300 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for bedroom.
Other Levoit top considerations:
3) Winix A230 – The Best Portable Air Purifier under $100
You no longer have to pay $300 or more to get the best benefits of Winix lineup. The Winix A230 retains the best features of Winix’s flagships, with only minor compromises, making this one of the best air purifiers for the money.
This air purifier features exactly the same air cleaning system as the top-tier devices of the Korean manufacturer.
- Pre-filter – The fine mesh pre-filter can reduce the largest airborne particles in your air.
- True HEPA filter – The True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
- Activated Carbon Filter – The air filter can adsorb VOCs and household odors from cooking, pets, and smoke.
- Winix PlasmaWave – The exclusive Winix technology to safely destroy the pollutants. Can be switched on/off.
Of course at its price point, the Winix A230 is only for use in small rooms. However, Winix AM230 delivers a high CADR rating of 145 cfm, which is top-tier for a $100 device. We really like the smart sensor on this air purifier, which is quite accurate for a single air sensor. It isn’t quite as good as those dual sensors on the high-end models, but it works and delivers strong results, so at the bargain price we feel that is a very fair trade-off.
The signature PlasmaWave technology is featured in this Winix A230, and it can neutralize bacteria and viruses easily, without emitting ozone that is harmful to your health. Together with the in-house air filter, Winix A230 can clean your air much better.
We bet that $10 makes no difference in your buying decision, then the Winix AM230 is by far the best portable air purifier under $100 (sorry Levoit Core 200S).
Here is the pros/cons of Winix A230:
- Additional line of defense with PlasmaWave ions
- Strong performance on budget
- Smart Sensor
- More restricted in placement
- A bit noisier than the Core 300
Review: Winix A230 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for baby.
4) Blue Pure 411 Auto – The Best Smart Air Purifier Bang for your Buck
The Blue Pure 411 is once the best budget air purifier in any list, thanks to its simplicity. Just one-touch button play, and the device will take care of everything for you. Its 360° air inlet removes the strict rules for placement, without compromising performance. So far, the air purifier is the best budget air purifier this Swedish premium brand offers.
Blueair surprised everyone when it released the Blue Pure 411 Auto late on in last year, with the air purifier delivering the best core Blue family functionality along with the dual smart sensors but for the same price as the old no-smart one.
New Blue Pure 411 Auto will modify the classic air filter of Blue family to improve the HEPASilent technology. You now have 3 stages of air filtration in just one pack.
- Pre-filter – It’s worth noting that the fabric pre-filter of Blue Pure 411 Auto is outside the air purifier. This is one great advantage of this pre-filter, because you can easily check the status of it to vacuum or wipe the contaminants out immediately.
- Particle Filter – Instead of using a True HEPA filter, Blue Pure 411 Auto runs a polypropylene fibers filter to help capture 99% of all allergens like dust, dust mites, pet dander, pollen and fungi (HEPASilent technology).
- Activated Carbon Filter – The air filter is added inside the Particle filter and effective against smoke, odors, gases and VOCs.
For a Blueair device, even the most affordable device is actually nothing like a budget device, as it is still loaded with premium hardware and features. Take the new HEPASilent technology, for example – it has the same performance as other True HEPA filters while operating more quiet and energy-saving.
The new premium fabric colors are inspired by the natural landscapes of Scandinavia, and the Blue Pure 411 Auto is not only your best smart air purifier on budget, but also the most gorgeous one.
Again, we must highlight that the Blue Pure 411 Auto has dual air sensors. It will read dust and odor individually, and change the fan speed accordingly to keep your indoor air clean. Such high-end air sensor isn’t quite popular at its price point. Heck, even the more expensive Coway AP-1512HH only has a single air sensor.
Here is the pros/cons of Blue Pure 411 Auto:
- Next-level performance with HEPASilent
- Affordable price
- Dual air sensors
- The fabric pre-filter is easier to get dirty
Review: Blue Pure 411 Auto Review.
Top Blue Pure considerations:
Related post: Best air purifiers for allergies.
5) Coway AP-1512HH – Best for Performance and ValuePreviously in our list: Coway AP-1512HH.
Coway is holding the No.1 position on the South Korea air purifier market in 2020, and this is one of the best air purifier companies in the world, beating Samsung right in the domestic market for air purifiers alone. The most favorite Coway AP-1512HH is the top pick selected by a lot of reputable reviewers for its amazing performance and high value for the money.
So, why is Coway Mighty Air Purifier AP-1512HH so highly rated in almost all reviewer websites?
Mainly due to this important 4-stage air filtration:
- Pre-filter – A washable pre-filter will help you capture the large particles of contaminants, from pet hair, human hair and mold.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This filter works its best to deodorize and trap harmful gas to keep your place fresh and odor-free.
- True HEPA Filter – The high-performance composite True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% down to 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
- Ionizer – Vital ionize can trap even the tiniest airborne particles and send it back to other filters. Can be switched on/off.
Coway AP-1512HH‘s performance is of a very high standard, going head-to-head with even any air purifiers in the $300-$400 range, such as Oransi Max or Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0. It could handle everything we threw at it, while keeping a low cost that is recommended for anyone on a tight budget.
The unique selling point of this Coway AP-1512HH is the impressive Eco Mode, to shut down the fan when it detects no air pollution, which is perfect for saving energy. As an Energy Star rated air purifier, the Coway AP-1512HH is meant for long-term investment, with both low annual filter and energy costs.
It has a Smart Sensor, to automatically adjust the airflow speed based on the air quality status. The room coverage of this air purifier is impressive at 360 square feet, based on 4 air changes per hour rating. With such power, it is reasonable why the Coway AP-1512HH has won a lot of certificates and awards, including the British Allergy Foundation Seal of Approval.
One of the few things we didn’t take much of a shine to is the display light on the top, as it is too bright and can’t be turned off. If you are sensitive to light when sleeping, perhaps you need to cover the top light.
Here is the pros/cons of Coway AP-1512HH:
- Amazing performance rating
- Super low cost for maintenance
- Compact size and lightweight
- The top light can’t be turned off
- Only single air sensor
Review: Coway AP-1512HH Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for dust.
Other Coway top considerations:
6) Winix AM90 – Dual Air Sensors for Better Air Quality ReadPreviously in our list: Winix AM90.
For the Winix, this is a must-look brand when looking for an air purifier in your home. With more than 15 years experience in the U.S market, the Korean-based brand is the ultimate solution for any kinds of pet allergies, packing with the high-end tech for a surprisingly low price.
Being certified by the Energy Star, AHAM and CARB for its great performance, the Winix AM90 delivers the exclusive air filtration system made only by the South Korean company.
- Pre-filter – The polluted air must pass through a built-in pre-filter. This pre-filter will help capture the large objects of contaminants, such as pet hair and even some kinds of pet dander and skin.
- Activated Carbon Filter – The air filter can adsorb household odors from cooking, pets, and smoke and reduce VOCs.
- True HEPA Filter – The True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
- Winix PlasmaWave – The exclusive Winix technology to safely destroy the pollutants. Can be switched on/off.
Winix AM90 features the unique technology of Winix – PlasmaWave, to produce both positive and negative ions (in plasma state). Then it will generate the Hydroxyls to neutralize any kinds of airborne pollutants such as viruses, bacteria, germs, odors, and chemical gases (VOCs). This technology can basically kill even the tiniest biological particles, as small as 0.1 microns.
The combination of both True HEPA Filter and PlasmaWave technology is the reason why this Winix AM90 is so powerful against most toxic contaminants. Moreover, not like the ionizer filter, the PlasmaWave won’t irritate asthma and respiratory issues. That’s why PlasmaWave is considered the safest technology to combat with the smallest bacteria.
Mix these air filtration systems all together and throw in a high fan power, and you come out with an air purifier that can cover 360 square feet without any problem. The Winix AM90 is verified by the AHAM, and it matches the performance with both Coway AP-1512HH and Honeywell HPA300 in the same price range.
But the headline act is the Smart features, which is the reason to buy the Winix AM90 over other air purifiers. You can control this air purifier via Wi-Fi, both by your smartphone and Alexa’s voice commands. Also, you will have a Smart Sensor, to adjust the fan speed accordingly to the environment’s need.
Here is the pros/cons of Winix AM90:
- Fantastic performance rating
- Unique PlasmaWave technology can safely kill viruses
- Dual air sensors
- Impressively quiet
- Possible problem with Wi-Fi connection
- Lacks of exclusive anti-bacterial treatment
Review: Winix AM90 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for pets.
Other top Winix considerations:
7) Blue Pure 311 Auto – Best Cheap Air Purifier for Most PeoplePreviously in our list: Honeywell HPA300.
The Blue Pure 311 Auto is the best cheap air purifier in the world. That’s because it delivers a near-flagship Blue experience but does so for a fraction of the cost. Indeed, the Blue Pure 311 Auto is so cheap that it rings in for under half that of the flagship Blue Pure 121, and for that reason alone it demands checking out by any prospective air purifier upgrader.
The core air filtration system remains the same for every member of Blue family. You just get the bigger air filter and more powerful fan system.
- Pre-filter – The high-end fabric pre-filter can capture most of the largest pollutants like dust and pet hair.
- Particle Filter – Instead of using a True HEPA filter, Blue Pure 311 Auto runs a polypropylene fibers filter to help capture 99% of all allergens like dust, dust mites, pet dander, pollen and fungi (HEPASilent technology).
- Activated Carbon Filter – The air filter is added inside the Particle filter and effective against smoke, odors, gases and VOCs.
It really does deliver in terms of modern air purifier experience, too, with the new smart sensor that you won’t have in other members of the Blue family. That means that this air purifier delivers a high-end HEPASilent technology-level of power and energy efficiency, which combined with the core nature of simplicity as a Blue device. That makes using the Blue Pure 311 Auto an absolute joy.
Yes, the Blue Pure 311 Auto cuts a few corners when compared to the flagship Blueair devices, but its fan power is by far better than most air purifiers at the $200 range. Considering just how remarkably cheap the air purifier is, and that all its components deliver strong performance, it is really hard to overlook it.
Just like the Blue Pure 411 Auto, we have a new set of premium fabric pre-filter, inspired by the natural landscapes of Scandinavia. For anyone who needs a new air purifier, we suggest at least checking out the device before pulling the trigger, as you might be surprised at just how much quality Blueair has laid down here for, comparatively, very little money.
Here is the pros/cons of Blue Pure 311 Auto:
- Best value per price with performance
- Attractive new design
- Dual air sensors
- Very quiet
- Small air quality reading
- The fabric pre-filter is easier to get dirty
Review: Blue Pure 311 Auto Review.
Other honorable Blue Pure considerations:
8) Airthereal AGH550 – High Performance Rating
Airthereal first made its name by offering very good air purifier specs at very good prices, so it’s fitting that it’s now back in that groove with the latest Airthereal AGH550. The fantastic mid-ranger of this company is verified by both the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) and Energy Star.
Its air filtration system is nearly identical to the most powerful Levoit device – the Levoit LV-H134. Let’s take a look at the air filtration system of Airthereal AGH550.
- Pre-filter – An aluminum mesh preliminary filter covers the True HEPA filter, to prolong the life time of the core filter, by trapping the large objects of pollutants like fur, hair and large dust. It is 100% recyclable.
- True HEPA Filter – With the True HEPA filter, this air purifier can capture 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
- Activated Carbon Filter – The real power of Airthereal AGH550 is inside the carbon filter, as a combination of Nano mineral, Cold catalyst, Photo catalyst and Molecular Sieve carbon. It will adsorb the odors, chemicals and smoke from the indoor air.
Starting at just less than $300, you will get a powerful CADR rating of 300 cfm, which is capable of dealing with medium to large rooms. That’s not to mention the advanced EC motor found in the core of the Airthereal AGH550, which trims the energy cost down.
It uses a laser sensor for better and quicker air quality reading, as it needs less than 10 seconds to deliver the report to the users. This smart sensor just simply beat all other aforementioned budget air sensors, and it is actually on par with the top-end air purifiers.
Some compromises have been made to get the Airthereal AGH550 to this price: its True HEPA filter lives much shorter than other competitors. To be fair, it means the air filter is just good rather than great.
Here is the pros/cons of Airthereal AGH550:
- Certified performance with advanced Carbon filter
- High fan power
- Very accurate laser sensor
- Short filter life time
- Smaller build for tower device
Review: Airthereal AGH550 Review.
Other Airthereal top considerations:
9) Vornado PCO575DC – The Best Air Purifier for Killing VirusesPreviously in our list: GermGuardian AC9200WCA.
As an U.S brand for manufacturing only high-quality air purifiers, Vornado is making a lot of good to great air purifiers using UV-C light filtration and PCO (Photo Catalytic Oxidation) technology, which is able to render the mold spores, viruses and bacteria useless. Among many devices, the Vornado PCO575DC is the most powerful air purifier, with many certifications of the Energy Star, AHAM and CARB for high performance, energy efficiency and safety.
- Pre-filter – A permanent, washable pre-filter screen captures large dust particles and pet hair, mostly to help extend the True HEPA filter life.
- True HEPA filter – Vornado PCO575DC uses True HEPA filter to filter up to 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns particles like household dust, pet dander, mold spores and plant pollen.
- Activated Carbon Filter – The honeycombed carbon filter adsorbs odors, freshening the air inside your home.
- Silverscreen Chamber – Using an UV-C light filter, this Silverscreen technology can destroy and disable the harmful gases, Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), viruses and bacteria.
If you are facing problems with the viruses, bacteria and mold spores – which are the biological contaminant particles, traditionally, we’d be pointing you towards an air purifier with UV-C light filter. The UV-C light, which is harmless to us, can work with titanium dioxide and disrupt the core DNA of the germs and viruses, and destroy them totally. Moreover, the patented Silverscreen technology of Vornado PCO575DC can even break down the Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) from chemicals.
Vornado PCO575DC doesn’t only have this UV-C bulb to be efficient, the device also features the high-quality and superb True HEPA filter and Activated Carbon filter. Its jaw-droppingly good performance is associated with a high CADR-rating fan power, verified by the AHAM.
As one of the highest-ranking air purifiers in 2021, the Vornado PCO575DC has up to 10 fan speeds, and its power will change accordingly to its high-end Smart Sensor. This high-end feature runs the air purifier for you automatically, conducted by very accurate dual air sensors.
Here is the pros/cons of Vornado PCO575DC:
- Impressive performance rating
- High ACH rating for thorough cleaning
- Advanced technology for killing viruses
- Accurate dual air sensors
- A bit low CADR rating
- Too many filter replacements to remember
Review: Vornado PCO575DC Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for mold.
Other Vornado top consideration:
10) Sharp FX-J80UW – The Best Japanese Air Purifying Technology
The presence of Sharp may be pretty low in our U.S market, but in Asia, this company has a high reputation in making air purifiers, which rivals even Coway in terms of performance and price. A company with more than 100 years of foundation and development like Sharp is well-known for making advanced Plasmacluster technology, which is able to completely destroy the viruses and bacteria. The Sharp FX-J80UW is the priciest of the Sharp family, and it shows.
Sharp’s HEPA filter is considered as the most popular HEPA filter being used in any air purifier companies that can’t afford making in-house air filter. To be fair, its air filtration system is simple but powerful.
- Activated Carbon Filter – It helps reduce the pet odors and smoke, as well as some common household chemicals.
- True HEPA Filter – The True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns particles like pollen, dust, pet dander, smoke, germs, bacteria, viruses, odors, mold, and fungus.
- Plasmacluster Technology – This technology is one kind of ionizer, which can further reduce the amount of pollutants. Can be switched on/off.
Of course it’s a stunning air purifier to look at, something you would expect from Sharp at this stage. Inside you have some of the best internal components you’re going to find in an air purifier in 2021: a high-end True HEPA filter can last for 2 years, as well as one of the best and most exclusive air filtration technologies in the world.
Moreover, Sharp FX-J80UW can reduce 90.2% of MS2 viruses, 94% of E. Coli, up to 84.3% of staphylococcus epidermidis bacteria, 87.7% of mold and fungus in just 4 hours. This is a certified test made by 17 honorable labs around the world.
Don’t forget the hefty CADR rating of 360 cfm here either, ensuring the air purifier will be able to clean and clean no matter which size your room is. It’s hard to find any fault in what the Sharp FX-J80UX offers, especially this air purifier has top-notch smart features like Wi-Fi capabilities and dual laser air sensors. The flagship can even read the indoor humidity and temperature, greatly helping you control your indoor air quality.
Just like any high-end air purifiers in this best air purifiers list, the Sharp FX-J80UX is certified by both the AHAM and Energy Star for its high performance at low energy cost.
Here is the pros/cons of Sharp FX-J80UW:
- Top-notch performance
- Advanced air filtration process
- Great Smart features
- High-density Plasmacluster for better air cleaning
- Support is harder
Review: Sharp FX-J80UW Review.
Other Sharp top considerations:
11) Rabbit Air MinusA2 – The Old Best Air Purifier but Still Good
Rabbit Air MinusA2 is the Best Air Purifier in 2020 for most people. It packs everything yo remains one of the best air purifiers in 2021, even though it has been replaced by the new Blueair HealthProtect 7770i. At its price range, it is still an excellent choice as it’s much more affordable than the Blueair. The MinusA2 is also doing something truly different from the other rival flagships. Whereas competitors have rushed to clone the 360° cylindrical design, Rabbit Air has taken a dramatically different approach with its wall-mounted design.
Ranked in the Inc. 5000 magazine as one of the fastest-growing privately held companies in the U.S, Rabbit Air has developed a very distinctive air purifier with an incredible 6-stage purification & deodorization system.
- Pre-filter – The polluted air must pass through a pre-filter, there it will capture all large particles, along with dust mites and some of pet hair.
- Medium Filter – Traps large pollen, pet dander, mold and dust particles that is small enough to bypass the Pre-filter.
- Advanced BioGS HEPA Filter – It is a True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of all allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles down to 0.3 microns. Rabbit Air advances their air filter process, therefore prolong optimal filter efficiency and filter life of their HEPA filter.
- Customized Filter – Double the protection with a variety of customized filters for specific needs like Germ Defense, Pet Allergy, Odor Remover, or Toxin Absorber.
- Activated Carbon Filter – Eliminates odors, smokes and chemical vapors.
- Ion Generator – The last line of defense is an ionizer to capture even the tiniest particles of pollutant and trap them into other filters. Can be switched on/off.
The ultimate Rabbit Air MinusA2 is standout with 5 different mechanical air filters and one ionizer, which, just going by the specs, is second to none. You should know that common air purifiers only have 2 to 3 mechanical air filters, and even the high-end air purifiers stick with the traditional 3-layer air purification system. In addition, the bottom line is the high quality of each filter in this MinusA2.
Together with the low annual filter replacement, Rabbit Air MinusA2 is Energy Star rated, with the lowest annual energy cost for its fan power. So to say, you will get a smart long-term investment for using the Rabbit Air MinusA2.
Smart features play a very important role in using the Rabbit Air MinusA2, as you will mostly hang the device on wall. The air purifier is ready to be controlled via smartphone or any voice commands.
Admittedly, that wall-mounted design makes the Rabbit Air MinusA2 a good picture for your home. You can customize the outside of the air purifier to match your interest.
The only downside is, with so many mechanical filters, Rabbit Air MinusA2 just delivers a low CADR rating to protect the fan’s motor. However, with the cutting edge Brushless DC motor, this air purifier is able to keep up with even huge space from 700 to 815 square feet. It is impressively quiet, too, so you can run it even while sleeping.
Here is the pros/cons of Rabbit Air MinusA2:
- Still top-class performance
- Advanced air filtration process
- Smart, stylish design
- Low operation cost
- Low CADR rating for the price
- Too many air filters to change
Review: Rabbit Air MinusA2 Review.
12) AIRMEGA 400S – Still One of The Best Air Purifiers in The World
AIRMEGA is the lineup of Coway‘s most expensive air purifiers, and the big perk is that it comes a with high-end Max2 air filter that does improve the performance while emitting no ozone. The AIRMEGA 400S is by far the flagship of Coway, using all the top-end features with a good price tag. Let’s take a first look at the powerful air filtration system of this AIRMEGA 400S:
- Pre-filter – A powerful washable pre-filter is available to help you capture large objects of contaminants. Remember to dry the pre-filter in the shade before re-installing it.
- Max2 Filter – A combination of both Activated Carbon Filter and True HEPA filter, this filter can both capture up to 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns. It also reduces more than 99 percent of Volatile Organic Compounds and reduces fumes such as NH3 and CH3CHO.
AIRMEGA 400S inherits the patented high-quality True HEPA filter from Coway, and forms it into an all-in-one Max2 filter for simple installation. Coway removes the ionizer completely, to guarantee an ozone-free air purifier, which is also certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
This air purifier is suggested to be used in an up to 1560 square feet by the manufacturers, and yes, AIRMEGA 400S has a truly high fan power with CADR rating of 340 Dust/ 350 Smoke/ 400 Pollen (cfm). Moreover, it is certified by the Energy Star, so you can run the device 24/7 without worrying about the electric bill.
The AIRMEGA 400S has both Smart Sensor and Wi-Fi capability to help you just set it and forget it. The sensor can give feedback on the air quality indicator, as well as adjust the fan automatically to match the environment’s needs.
Here is the pros/cons of AIRMEGA 400S:
- Top-notch performance rating
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Remarkable Technology and Fan Power
- Impressive quiet
- High cost filter replacement
- Price fluctuation
Review: AIRMEGA 400S Review.
Related post: Best large room air purifiers.
Other honorable AIRMEGA considerations:
Review: AIRMEGA 300 Review.
13) Alen BreatheSmart 75i – Best for Customer ServicePreviously in our list: Alen BreatheSmart 75i.
As the upgraded version of the previous flagship – the Alen BreatheSmart, the Alen BreatheSmart 75i is the best flagship of the Alen Corp, also earned the Consumer Digest’s Best Buy. Finally, we have a True HEPA air purifier from this brand, which is backed up by the lifetime warranty policy.
Let’s take a look at the 3-stage air cleaning system to meet your needs in the Alen BreatheSmart 75i:
- Pre-filter – A washable pre-filter to help capture the large objects of pollutants like dust, pet hair and pollen.
- True HEPA Filter – There are 4 types of True HEPA filter for you to choose from:
- Pure – The standard True HEPA filter of Alen BreatheSmart 75i, which is able to capture 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns pollutant particles such as dust, dust mites and pollen.
- Fresh – The next level HEPA filter will improve the first Pure, with the addition of Activated Carbon filter, to deal with the household odors and chemicals. This air filter is necessary for people who are sensitive to VOCs.
- Pet – Without the Activated Carbon filter, the Pet air filter uses the Alen’s patented Molecular Conversion Powder to ensure heavy pet odors are destroyed at a molecular level.
- Heavy Odor – Alen BreatheSmart 75i changed the Molecular Conversion Powder in the Pet air filter to make the new Heavy Odor filter, which can remove the household odors from smelly kids/teenagers, kitchen garbage, and other everyday activities.
- Ionizer – The ionizer is used to improve the efficiency of this Alen BreatheSmart 75i. Can be switched on/off.
The Alen BreatheSmart 75i is the first time the brand’s True HEPA air purifier was seen as a real rival to the Rabbit Air MinusA2. With 4 different types of True HEPA filter, Alen BreatheSmart 75i is ready to deal with any types of pollutant particles, while being safe with limited ozone emission from the ionizer.
It has better fan power than every predecessor sharing its brand, with the largest room coverage of 1300 square feet. However, with the WhisperMax technology, Alen BreatheSmart 75i is undoubtedly quiet. This air purifier also generates soothing pink noise – a frequency proven to help you sleep 25% better. A great air purifier for the bedroom, right?
The device is still an absolute looker with 15 panel color options including of white, oak, brushed bronze and stainless, black, rosewood, natural maple and more to match your personal style.
Finally, we will have the high-end features in this air purifier, such as the Smart Sensor with an LED light indicator. It adjusts BreatheSmart 75i’s cleaning power to achieve the best air quality while saving energy and maximizing filter life. That’s why the air purifier also achieves an Energy Star rating.
The fact of the matter is, it doesn’t get much better than the predecessors anymore, because you can get the True HEPA filter for any Alen air purifiers at the moment.
Here is the pros/cons of Alen BreatheSmart 75i:
- Customized color options
- Solid built
- WhisperMax technology – better silence
- Lifetime warranty
- More expensive at less additional value
Review: Alen BreatheSmart 75i Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for office.
Other Alen top considerations:
14) IQAir GC MultiGas – High-range RepresentativePreviously in our list: IQAir GC MultiGas.
In this high-range segment, only the bulky machines which can cover a large area have a chance to compete in. IQAir is that giant, with the foundation to be 50 years ago, and one active partner of the American Lung Association.
Let’s look at the product IQAir proudly claim to be the #1 Air purifier for smoke, odors and MCS – IQAir GC MultiGas. This air purifier features four stages of superior filtration as below:
- HyperHEPA filter – The first stage of filtration features a powerful pre-filter, which can capture 99% of particles down to 0.3 microns, and 95% of particles as small as 0.003 microns.
- Cartridge-based activated carbon filter – Made with the highest quality ABS plastics, this filter can remove VOCs and odors effectively.
- Cartridge-based chemisorption – This stage destroys harmful chemicals, such as formaldehyde, by an oxidation process inside a chemically active alumina pellet.
- Post-filter sleeve – A post-filter sleeve wraps each gas cartridge to prevent media dust from being released.
Instead of trying to prolong the lifetime of True HEPA filter with a pre-filter, IQAir GC MultiGas implement the HyperHEPA technology to increase the particulate loading capacity by 13%. As a result, your air filter will run for a good one year.
Next, their two cartridge-based adsorptions are responsible for destroying any harmful chemicals in smoke. This process is backed up with an unique 3D UltraSeal no-leakage design to prevent air from escaping back into the room without being drawn through the GC MultiGas filters.
The bottom line is the most powerful, energy efficient New Edition fan. With an astonishing high CADR rating of 300 cfm and up to 776 cfm, IQAir GC MultiGas is a powerhouse in the area of 1125 square feet. Moreover, the new fan design reduces the sound pressure, making this air purifier as quiet as possible.
As a high-end machine, IQAir GC MultiGas also has many smart features like Automated Start, intelligent filter life monitor, Advanced timer and Advanced fan speed selection. This air purifier can be controlled via a remote controller. However, the IQAir GC MultiGas doesn’t have a built-in sensor, so you can’t use the Auto Mode for this air purifier.
For the performance rating of IQAir GC MultiGas, there is no better test than how the IQAir president – Frank Hammes had stepped in a chamber full of smoke within 10 minutes. We don’t dare to test it at home, and we warn you not to try this.
Here is the pros/cons of IQAir GC MultiGas:
- Perfect performance rating
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Remarkable Technology and Fan Power
- 5-year warranty
- High-range cost
- No Smart Sensor
Review: IQAir GC MultiGas Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for smoke.
If you are a non-smoker, perhaps you should look for the IQAir HealthPro Plus. It is claimed to be #1 air purifier for allergies and asthma. Instead of using an ABS cartridge to adsorb the chemicals and VOCs like GC MultiGas, IQAir HealthPro Plus purifies the air with a normal 3-layer filtration system. The difference is HealthPro Plus is using the next level of HyperHEPA filter (H12/13) to capture 99.97% down to 0.3 microns, and 99.5% of 0.003 microns particles.
Review: IQAir HealthPro Plus Review.
15) LG PuriCare AS560DWR0 – A bit more for Ultra Performance
If you are still reading, you have already aimed at the ultra-luxury high-range air purifiers. The LG PuriCare is the best premium air purifier you can get for your home. As an air purifier certified by the Asthma & Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA), the LG flagship is one of your top choices to combat allergy and asthma from air irritants.
It seems we don’t need to introduce anything about LG – an electronics giant in South Korea. Its air purifier flagship is very powerful with a traditional 2-stage air cleaning system.
- True HEPA filter – The main HEPA filter that captures 99.97% of down to 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
- Activated Carbon Filter – The deodorization filter catches odors, smoke and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) like formaldehyde.
Since the LG PuriCare AS560DWR0 has the latest SmartThinQ technology of LG, it can sync your air quality with your Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa for voice control. You can also download the LG app to make changes from your smartphone.
The air purifier is truly distinctive with its clean booster. LG PuriCare can push air up to 24 feet quickly by using this feature. It tilts the fan up to 55 degrees and can rotate up to 70 degrees to direct clean air exactly where you need it. This also promotes the most even distribution quickly.
Together with high CADR rating of 365 cfm, the air purifier is able to evenly distribute clean air for a room of 500 to 1000 square feet. The best part? LG PuriCare AS560DWR0 can go as low as 25 decibels (db), which is quieter than even the whisper.
Finally, as an Energy Star air purifier, you can use the device 24/7 without worrying about your energy bill.
Here is the pros/cons of LG PuriCare AS560DWR0:
- Streamlined, 360° design
- Bursting with enjoyable features
- High-quality build
- Powerful Turbo Mode
- 10-year warranty for motor
- Very expensive
- Fan power isn’t industry-leading
Review: LG PuriCare AS560DWR0 Review.
Other LG top considerations:
Buying Guide for Best Air Purifier in 2021
Above is a complete list of the top 15 air purifiers in 2021 that are the most outsell on the market. This guarantees that no matter which one you choose in this top 15, you’ll enjoy a really great long-term investment for your health. If you are still uncertain of why you should have an air purifier, you should have known that most of our cities are breathing unhealthy air (updated 6/18/2021) and the air pollution is increased in 2020 despite of COVID-19 restrictions. Yes, we are not as safe as you think.
Now, you should have read our complete best air purifier’s buying guide to better prepare before giving decisions. You’ll see, we’ve done everything to make sure you don’t make any mistakes.
We hope that this list of the best air purifiers has been a valuable guide for you to help you make a good buying decision.
Here is a buying guide for you to choose the right air purifier:
Choosing the right filter types
The classic Air purifier comes with a HEPA filter. Some may have other filters for specific needs, here are the terminology and definitions:
Pre-filter – An essential feature of air purifiers that use a HEPA style filter. The pre-filter captures large dust and pet dander to help prolong the lifetime of the main filter. Most pre-filters are washable and reusable and last a lifetime.
True HEPA Filter – This is the highest standard air filter you can get for a best air purifier. In order to carry this label, the filter must meet strict regulations set by the United States Department of Energy (DOE) and capture at least 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns. A true HEPA filter needs to be replaced after 6 months to 1 year, and you should use a suitable replacement for your air purifiers.
Activated Carbon (or Charcoal) Filter – This filter can adsorb odorous particles and gases. That’s why it can remove the smells produced by smoke, pets, cooking, chemicals, etc.
Ionic Filter (or Ionizer) – This filter emits negative ions to charge small particles like dust, pollen and bacteria and collect them into a plate.
UV-C Light – The Ultra Violet light destroy bacteria and virus by sterilizing them. The UV-C Light (UV Light type C) is harmless to humans.
Advanced BioGS HEPA Filter – A technology from Rabbit Air, to help prolong the life of the main True HEPA filter.
Permanent HEPA Filter – A technology from Hamilton Beach, to make their HEPA-type filter be cleaned by vacuum, therefore you don’t need to replace their HEPA filter.
HEPA-type Filter – This filter is a lower quality version of a True HEPA filter and doesn’t meet the standards set in place by the U.S. DOE mentioned above.
Choosing the right size air purifier
It is highly recommended to check your air purifier’s size and room capability. The size of an air purifier is varied, and if you do not have room for your new air purifier, it would be a disaster.
Room capability, or how well your air purifier can cover is also a crucial factor. You know, air purifier is not an one size fit all machine. Most air purifier is designed for a small room of 100 to 400 square feet. For a larger room, you will need an additional air purifier or larger coverage one. Otherwise your air purifier will not meet your demands, and cost you much more energy than normal.
Knowing some terminology in air purifier
ACH stands for “Air Changes Per Hour”
The ACH rating, stands for Air Changes per Hour, tells you how many times the device can exchange the air within a room with clean, fresh air every hour. For example, 4X means the device cleans air four times per hour.
Common ACH ratings in best air purifier you’ll see are 4x, 5x, 6x, etc
Remember that the advertised ACH for air purifier is normally when you use the maximum fan speed.
CADR stands for “Clean Air Delivery Rate”
Developed by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM), CADR, stands for Clean Air Delivery Rate, tells exactly how well an air purifier can clean the air within a particular size room.
For example, an air purifier with a CADR like this: dust/500 cfm, pollen/640 cfm, and smoke/500 cfm (or 500 Dust/500 Smoke/640 Pollen) will normally have a coverage from 700 to 800 square feet.
Knowing your problems and how air purifier fix them
1, To help with your allergies
Each year, about 2000 people are diagnosed with nasal cavity in the United States. Airborne allergens wreak havoc on the immune system and cause many unpleasant symptoms like eye irritation, coughing, sneezing, painful headaches and more.
True HEPA filter air purifiers are the best one for you. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for allergies list.
2, To reduce asthma
One again, you should aim at True HEPA Filter. If you have any problems with ion, stop using your Ionizer filter immediately. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for asthma list.
3, To prevent dust
For better air purifier’s filter life, you should use the one with pre-filter. Air purifier with a HEPA filter will help prevent dust as much as possible. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for dust list.
4, To trap pet hair and dander
All of HEPA air purifiers (especially True HEPA ones) can capture pet hair and dander with no difficulty. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for pets list.
5, To remove smoke and odors
You must look for an Activated Carbon filter (or Charcoal filter) to help remove all the smokes and smells. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for smoke list.
6, To protect your babies in nursery
Babies are born with an immature immune system and have underdeveloped defense mechanisms. However, they breathe in double the amount of air (and polluted air) more than any adults. If one parent has allergies to airborne contaminants, there’s a 25% chance that a child will also be allergic. That’s why you need to find the best ones in Best air purifier for baby List to protect your precious little one.
We hope you have found your best air purifier right now. Thank you for reading.