This is the ultimate review to find out what are the best air purifiers to buy for your home or your office.
Yes, you’re in the right place!
Let’s not waste countless hours searching through any others of websites just to find the top rated air purifiers that fit your specific needs. Because in Breathe Quality:
- We do give honest reviews (both pros and cons) and a base comparison for all the air purifiers so anyone will guarantee to have the wisest choices.
- We do not (and we never) exaggerate one product just to let you click the links and buy that product blindly.
- The list of best air purifiers is updated regularly. We need at least 2 weeks of continuous running to guarantee the best performance of one air purifier. If one new air purifier is released, we will keep updating our list. You will never find an outdated air purifier here.
On this page, you’ll find everything you need to quickly make the right decision on which air purifier to get in 2020. Our best air purifier 2020 list has updated dramatically thanks to our work of testing more than 100 new air purifiers in the last year, for a total of 300+ air purifier reviews in our labs. If you’re considering buying a new air purifier, keep in mind that our list is the most up-to-date one to serve you.
Update: This is the BIG UPDATE of best air purifiers list for 2020, completed in 02/08/2020. In Breathe Quality, we keep updating our posts whenever possible, to make sure you will get the best air purifier in the market. The next update will be scheduled in March 25 (right before the pollen season), with information of special air purifiers and/or simply the new air purifiers in 2020. However, you don’t need to wait, because the air purifier market will never change so quickly, and all air purifiers in this list has proved to be worthy.
Picking up one of these top-tier devices is an expensive investment, as some of these air purifier prices start at $500, so you’ll want to take your decision seriously. But don’t worry: we’re here to guide you through the ins and outs of each…along with our professional opinion about where they rank compared to each other. Believing that air purifiers are for everyone, we will give you the best air purifiers in all price ranges. To know the exact price of your air purifier, just hit the Check price button.
Our idea of the best air purifier has a top-notch air purifying performance, yet is economical and safe to use. Most devices are certified and tested strictly by many governmental organizations like the Energy Star (under U.S EPA), AHAM (Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers) or/and CARB (California Air Resources Board). You won’t find weak and unsafe air purifiers with high cost to use on this list.
We know that not everyone has time to find, research, check reviews and ratings of air purifiers from a huge ton of websites. Therefore, this page aims at helping you, yes you, find the right air purifier for your needs in a quick and efficient way. We have read many other reviews in the whole Internet and rather find them outdated (some were written 2 years ago), or just sorted the most expensive or most popular air purifiers in top for the maximum benefits. Well, we never do it.
We promise, our wish is nothing but your healthy life!
Other helpful lists of best air purifiers you should read:
We hope this list of the top rated best air purifiers in 2020 is exactly what you’re looking for and that it not only saves you time trying to find the right device but also helps you get the most value for your money! Thank you!
Base Comparison Table of Best Air Purifiers in 2020
This Comparison Table of best air purifiers will help you have a quick overview of our list of Top 10 Best Air Purifiers in 2020. The factors for comparison in this table are the air filter types of this air purifier, we also give the most concerned factors as the room coverage, and the filter replacement of this air purifier for you.
Remember that you should check the review for each air purifier. We will share all the knowledge about the pros and cons of them, also with other products from the same air purifier’s manufacturers. So even if you can’t find your favorite air purifier products in this table, please look up for the review of the same brand’s product. There you will find your favorite best air purifier in 2020 for sure.
Top 10 Best Air Purifiers in 2020 List
1) Rabbit Air MinusA2 – Our 2020 WinnerPreviously in our list: Rabbit Air MinusA2.
And why we consider it the best air purifier system for home available in 2020?
Rabbit Air is one leader in the U.S air purifier market, starting from 2004. Naturally, the flagship Rabbit Air MinusA2 is the big standout here with even better performance than others in the mid-range air purifier market. To perfect this product, Rabbit Air created a 6-stage purification & deodorization system to make the cleanest, freshest air possible in the world. Let’s dive into the power of this best air purifier.
- Pre-filter – The polluted air must pass through a pre-filter, there it will capture all large particles, along with dust mites and some of pet hair.
- Medium Filter – Traps large pollen, pet dander, mold and dust particles that is small enough to bypass the Pre-filter.
- Advanced BioGS HEPA Filter – It is a True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of all allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles down to 0.3 microns. Rabbit Air advances their air filter process, therefore prolong optimal filter efficiency and filter life of their HEPA Filter.
- Customized Filter – Double the protection with a variety of customized filters for specific needs like Germ Defense, Pet Allergy, Odor Remover, or Toxin Absorber.
- Activated Carbon Filter – Eliminates odors, smokes and chemical vapors.
- Ion Generator – The last line of defense is an ionizer to capture even the tiniest particles of pollutant and trap them into other filters. Can be switched on/off.
Just going by the specs, the Rabbit Air MinusA2 has 5 different mechanical filters and one ionizer to be extremely powerful, meanwhile the common air purifier only makes use of 2 to a maximum of 4 filters for air purification. However, this air purifier doesn’t just show off lots of air filters. The bottom line is the high quality of each filter in the MinusA2.
Rabbit Air MinusA2 uses not only one but twice the pre-filtration. With both the Pre-filter and Medium filter, it will reduce most of large and medium pollutant objects. Remember that the pre-filter of MinusA2 is washable and permanent to use.
Through the double pre-filtration and thanks to the Advanced BioGS technology, the True HEPA filter will only need to capture the as small as 0.3 microns particles. Most importantly, it increases the efficiency and lifetime of MinusA2’s True HEPA filter so it can last up to 2 years. You will profitably reduce the annual cost of HEPA Filter replacement.
Expert tip: Why you need True HEPA filter instead of normal HEPA filter? Why you need to replace it? Find your answer in this article.
The double protection layer with True HEPA filter in the Rabbit Air MinusA2 is a Customized filter. If you have serious allergies or asthma for a specific reason, you can tailor to fit your needs. Each filter (Germ Defense, Pet Allergy, Odor Remover, or Toxin Absorber) is specially engineered to trap and reduce different types of germs, chemicals, odors and allergens. Together with the Activated Carbon filter, made of high-grade granular activated carbon, the Rabbit Air MinusA2 can effectively reduce all types of smoke, chemicals and common household odors.
As the last line of defense, the Ion Generator will remove even the tiniest particles of pollutants by trapping it back in other layers. We have recorded that the amount of ozone is about 0.002 ppm, which is 25 times less than the 0.05 ppm maximum ozone safety standards set by the California Air Resource Board, so MinusA2 will never irritate asthma and respiratory issues. However, if you don’t like this function, you can easily turn it off with a simple button.
Rabbit Air MinusA2 is not just powerful, it is a perfect art to be mounted in your home. You can choose the front panel from many different artistic design choices, from Vincent Van Gogh, Claude Monet, Katsushika Hokusai to original designs by Rabbit Air’s creative team.
Smart technologies are applied in this modern air purifier, too. Via Wi-FI, you can control this air purifier both by your smartphone or voice control, like Alexa. The MinusA2 covers a huge space from 700 to 815 square feet, all by itself, thanks to the advanced Smart Sensor. It can change the fan power automatically depending on the current air quality.
One more thing you will love this air purifier is because of its silence. To reduce the noise level, instead of decreasing the air filters, Rabbit Air improves their fan with an advanced technology. You will have a both quiet and powerful air purifier, all without the need for regular maintenance.
If you still have doubt for this air purifier, you should look below. Thanks to the low power consumption, a long-term investment in Rabbit Air MinusA2 will reduce both the annual filter cost and energy cost of you. That’s why the MinusA2 is marked as an Energy Star product.
Here is the pros/cons of Rabbit Air MinusA2:
- Top-notch performance
- Advanced Air Filtration process
- Smart Features like Sensor and Wi-Fi Capability
- Lowest overall annual filter cost and energy cost
- Ultra Quiet
- Saves space by mounting on the wall
- Artist Series is really amazing
- 5-year warranty
- Quite low fan power for the price
Review: Rabbit Air MinusA2 Review.
Rabbit Air also provides another good air purifier that we will certainly save a slot in this list if not for the MinusA2: the Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0. This air purifier is also powerful with the BioGS HEPA Filter technology from Rabbit Air in 2020, with a cost of nearly half of the MinusA2. With a 4-stage air filtration and a coverage of 625 square feet, Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 is still a good air purifier to pick.
Are you convinced? If yes, please check the review of Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 SPA-625A.
Review: Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for baby.
2) Levoit Core 300 – Best Portable Air Purifier under $100Previously in our list: Levoit LV-H132.
Fun fact: The Levoit Core 300 quickly becomes the Amazon’s Choice, and beats its own brother – Levoit Vista 200 to be our new best air purifier for under $100.
At the moment, Levoit is the top-of-mind air purifier brand in every corner of the United States. First, they have lots of high-quality budget air purifiers, and the Levoit Core 300 is the most up-to-date device in 2020. Second, this air purifier is the only device strictly tested and certified by Energy Star, AHAM and CARB to be efficient and safe to use.
Winning Reddot Award and many other world-renowned awards for design, the Levoit Core 300 is the best budget portable air purifier with a powerful air cleaning system.
- Pre-filter – This nylon preliminary filter is able to capture large particles of pollutants. You need to vacuum this filter regularly because it is only effective for a short time.
- True HEPA Filter – A True HEPA Filter can reduce 99.97% down to 0.3 microns dust mites allergens, virus particles, pollen, bacteria particles. Can be customized:
- Pet Allergy – For anyone with extreme allergies with pets
- Toxin Absorber – For areas with high level of smoke, VOCs, or chemicals.
- Mold & Bacteria – For moisture-heavy environments.
- Activated Carbon Filter – It is great at eliminating odors and smoke in your home.
There are not many certified True HEPA air purifiers in this low-range segment. More than this, the performance of Levoit Core 300 is about 30% better than even the previous Levoit LV-H132, with nearly the same price. If you have serious problems with allergies and asthma, or you just want an affordable best device, this air purifier is the right one for you. Its True HEPA filter meets the strict standards to remove 99.97% of dust, smoke, odor, mold spores, pet dander and particles as small as 0.3 microns.
Not only the internals, Levoit Core 300 has triple the fan power of old LV-H132, and as a result, it can cover a much larger space – up to 215 square feet (double the room coverage of old LV-H132).
Timer and LED indicator for filter replacement are missing in LV-H132? Not anymore, we will have these advanced features in this new Levoit Core 300.
We believe this air purifier is one of the best devices for your babies. The Nightlight function and quiet mode of Levoit Core 300 is really great to bring a safe and sound sleep to your children.
Here is the pros/cons of Levoit Core 300:
- True HEPA Filter for under $100
- High fan power
- Small size, perfect for a nightstand
- Generally quiet
- Slightly more expensive than old Levoit LV-H132
Review: Levoit Core 300 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for bedroom.
Levoit Core 300 is not the only portable air purifier from this brand. The Levoit Vista 200 and Levoit LV-H132 are still available to get, and they all have smaller size than the Core 300. However, we found a high drop of efficiency after many thorough comparison tests between the Core 300 and these aforementioned air purifiers.
With the recent drop in price, we recommend to check the Levoit LV-PUR131 and Levoit LV-H133, too. They are packing a lot of high-end smart features for only under $200. For example, we will have the Smart Sensor, to detect the real-time indoor air quality, then automatically adjust the fan power to suit the environment.
3) Coway AP-1512HH – Best for Performance and ValuePreviously in our list: Coway AP-1512HH.
Coway is still holding the No.1 position in Korean Air Purifier’s market in 2020. As always in the top of Amazon 2020 Best Seller for air purifier, Coway AP-1512HH is a favorite air purifier with an amazing performance rating. We have seen lots of reviewers who spoke high of this device.
Why is Coway Mighty Air Purifier AP-1512HH so highly rated in almost all air purifiers’ review websites?
Mainly due to this important 4-stage air filtration:
- Pre-filter – A washable pre-filter will help you capture the large particles of contaminants, from pet hair, human hair and mold.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This filter works its best to deodorize and trap harmful gas to keep your place fresh and odor-free.
- True HEPA Filter – The high-performance composite True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% down to 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
- Ionizer – Vital ionize can trap even the tiniest airborne particles and send it back to other filters. Can be switched on/off.
The Coway AP-1512HH is no longer the flagship of the Korean manufacturer, but it is still the recommended air purifier for anyone on a tight budget. While being affordable, the air purifier utilizes a progressive technology like any $300-$400 air purifiers, such as Oransi Max or Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0.
But the superior part of this air purifier is the Smart features. The Coway technology allows their air purifiers to automatically adjust the airflow speed based on the air quality status via the Smart Sensor in Eco Mode. Also, the unique Eco Mode technology can shut down the fan when it detected no air pollution, perfect for saving energy. Certified by Energy Star for being energy efficient, it is safe to say Coway AP-1512HH is the best for both performance and value you can get.
Moreover, the room coverage of this air purifier is impressive with 360 square feet at maximum. With such power, it is reasonable why the Coway AP-1512HH has won a lot of certificates and awards, including the British Allergy Foundation Seal of Approval.
The Coway AP-1512HH is really high efficient for its small compact size. We even have one in our home, and after 1 year using, its reaction to odors and cooking smells is still one of the best.
Some reviewers complained that the display light on the top is too bright, and it can’t be turned off. It is true. So if you have problems with light, please do not set the air purifier in your bedroom.
No more saying, this is the best value air purifier you can get in low-range budget.
Here is the pros/cons of Coway AP-1512HH:
- Amazing performance rating
- Advanced air filtration process
- Smart Features like Smart Sensor and Eco Mode
- Low power consumption
- Small-size and lightweight
- Large room coverage of 360 square feet
- 3-year warranty
- The top light can’t be turned off
- The ionizer emits a little ozone
Review: Coway AP-1512HH Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for dust.
You can also look for the Coway AP-1216L, which is the tower air purifier of this Korean manufacturer, and it only covers a smaller of 330 square feet. The technology of Coway AP-1216L is basically the same with our Coway AP-1512HH. It is slightly cheaper than the AP-1512HH, though.
In addition, if you want to taste the high-end features of Coway AIRMEGA lineup, you should search for the Coway AP-1512HHS, which is the new upgrade to the Coway AP-1512HH.
4) Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover HPA300 – High Performance RatingPreviously in our list: Honeywell HPA300.
Fun fact: Honeywell is claimed to be more than 130 years of Innovation, such a long-history brand.
Honeywell is not just an air purifier’s brand. In fact, this Fortune-100 company invents and manufactures technologies for a lot of world’s challenges like energy, security, productivity and so on.
Honeywell HPA300 is another budget option for you to get, with a powerful, ozone-free air cleaning system that is certified by the Energy Star and CARB to be very efficient.
- Pre-filter – The pre-filter has Activated Carbon filter in it. This will both help adsorb VOCs, gases, odors and traps larger particles.
- True HEPA Filter – The powerful True HEPA filter can capture up to 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns pollutant particles like pet dander, mold, viruses, bacteria and pollen.
There is no doubt that Honeywell is using the best True HEPA filter technology in the world. With only one layer of True HEPA filter, Honeywell HPA300 is still on par with Coway AP-1512HH in terms of power. As we can see below, this True HEPA filter is capable of capturing the 0.005 microns viruses.
To reduce the size of this air purifier, Honeywell has combined both the pre-filter and activated carbon filter. However, this pre-filter needs to be replaced after 3 months. This is a big minus to Honeywell HPA300 because of the high filter replacement cost.
While standing in the low-range segment, Honeywell HPA300 utilizes a very high fan power, as well as fantastic CADR and ACH that even surpasses the mid-range air purifiers. As a result, this machine can handle a very large area up to 465 square feet, verified by AHAM.
Unfortunately, this air purifier has a high noise level due to the powerful fan. And while being the best seller of this company, the Honeywell HPA300 lacks many important Smart features.
Our verdict is Honeywell HPA300 is still one of the best air purifiers we’ve put through its paces to date, earning even good reviews praising its build and performance versus cost.
Here is the pros/cons of Honeywell HPA300:
- Lacks of Smart Features
- High cost of filter replacement
Review: Honeywell HPA300 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for allergies.
If you find the 465 square feet not necessary, Honeywell provides a variety of selections for air purifier, being the smallest Honeywell HPA100 (with 155 square feet) or the medium Honeywell HPA200 (with 310 square feet).
Basically, all Honeywell’s products share the same technology, only with the difference in the size and the room coverage. So before purchasing any Honeywell’s products, please check your room’s area again. If you want the smart features, you should buy the Honeywell HPA250B or the Honeywell HPA8350B.
Fun fact: The model names of Honeywell give you exactly the room capability of air purifier (higher means larger). The white-version’s name is the black model number plus 4. Example: if Black model is HPA100 then White model is HPA104 and so on.
5) Winix AM90 – The Unique Korean Air Filtration SystemPreviously in our list: Winix HR1000.
While the previous Winix holder of this position is still better with the 5-stage air cleaning system, the fact that you don’t need the anti-microbial coating that much in real-world use, and the Winix AM90 is much newer, and comes with a strong deal to make it our new best air purifier.
For the Winix, this is a must-look brand when looking for an air purifier in your home. With more than 15 years experience in the U.S market, the Korean-based brand is the ultimate solution for any kinds of pet allergies, packing with the high-end tech for a surprisingly low price. The Winix AM90 packs the signature air filtration system from this brand, being certified and tested by both the CARB and Energy Star for its great performance.
- Pre-filter – The polluted air must pass through a built-in pre-filter. This pre-filter will help capture the large objects of contaminants, such as pet hair and even some kinds of pet dander and skin.
- Activated Carbon Filter – The air filter can adsorb household odors from cooking, pets, and smoke and reduce VOCs.
- True HEPA filter – The True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
- Winix PlasmaWave – The last line of defense, which can further reduce the amount of pollutants. Can be switched on/off.
Winix AM90 features the unique technology of Winix – PlasmaWave, to produce both positive and negative ions (in plasma state). Then it will generate the Hydroxyls to neutralize any kinds of airborne pollutants such as viruses, bacteria, germs, odors, and chemical gases (VOCs).
The combination of both True HEPA Filter and PlasmaWave technology is the reason why this Winix AM90 is so powerful against most of toxic contaminants. Moreover, not like the ionizer filter, the PlasmaWave won’t irritate asthma and respiratory issues. That’s why PlasmaWave is considered the safest technology to combat with the smallest bacteria.
Though the Winix AM90 doesn’t have the latest Anti-Microbial Coating like the previous Winix HR1000, it is much better in tech aspect, because the device can be controlled both by Wi-Fi and Alexa voice control. If you can get a deal for this air purifier from Breathe Quality, this could be the smart air purifier with the lowest price point, and that’s great, right?
The Winix AM90 still holds the same fan power as the predecessors, so it can cover a room of 360 square feet without any problem. It is AHAM verified with 4X ACH and powerful CADR rating to clean most of large rooms.
Last but not least, we must take into account other Smart features, mainly the excellent Smart Sensor. Combining with these smart control options, Winix AM90 truly gives you the most value for the money.
Here is the pros/cons of Winix AM90:
- Fantastic performance rating
- Unique powerful and safe PlasmaWave Technology
- Smart features like Smart Sensor and Wi-Fi connectivity
- Impressively quiet
- Possible problem with Wi-Fi connection
- Put the device away from other electronics
Review: Winix AM90 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for pets.
Besides the Winix AM90, you can get many excellent products from Winix, like the trio of Winix C535, Winix 5300-2 and Winix 5500-2. They all have the relatively same performance of the 3-stage air filtration from this company. Moreover, you still have the Smart Sensor from the latest products in these air purifiers.
6) GermGuardian AC9200WCA – Best Value for the PricePreviously in our list: GermGuardian CDAP5500BCA.
The low-range segment is always the most competitive field of air purifier market. In this segment, the Guardian Technologies rises as the most well-known name for affordable air purifiers. As an U.S brand for manufacturing only high-quality air purifiers, the GermGuardian AC9200WCA is the most affordable flagship with certification of Energy Star, AHAM and CARB for high performance, energy efficient and safe to use.
Fun fact: Guardian Technologies allows dogs in their office.
- Pre-filter – A normal pre-filter screen that can capture large dust particles and pet hair, mostly to help extend the True HEPA filter life.
- True HEPA filter – GermGuardian AC9200WCA uses True HEPA filter to filter up to 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns particles like household dust, pet dander, mold spores and plant pollen.
- Activated Carbon Filter – The Activated granular carbon filter reduces odors from pets, smoking, cooking along with harmful VOCs emitted from a variety of household products and chemicals.
- UV-C Light – The latest GermGuardian UV-C light bulb to kill germs without the use of chemicals and produces no ozone or chemical sprays. It can also kill airborne bacteria, viruses and mold spores.
The GermGuardian AC9200WCA is the latest attempt of this company to compete in the mid-range segment. It combines both the True HEPA filter and an UV-C Light to not just capture the pollutant objects but also kill the germs and bacteria inside them. The UV-C light, which is harmless to us, can disrupt the core DNA of the germs and viruses, and destroy them totally.
Thanks to the new fan power, this air purifier is excellent for a better room coverage of 335 square feet, also with AHAM verification. Through many rigorous tests, we can confirm the fan power of this GermGuardian AC9200WCA is even better than the Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0.
Here is the pros/cons of GermGuardian AC9200WCA:
- Great performance rating
- Powerful air filtration process
- Best Deal for low-range segment
- 5-year warranty
- Quite noisy at the highest setting
- No Smart features
Review: GermGuardian AC9200WCA Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for mold.
As we stated above, Guardian Technologies is the leader in low-range budget air purifiers. At the moment, they have 2 in top 20 of Amazon Best sellers for Best Air Purifier: GermGuardian AC4825 and GermGuardian AC4300BPTCA.
For the price, the GermGuardian AC5250PT and the GermGuardian CDAP4500BCA are also the top choices to pick. Honestly, we don’t find any differences among the low-range devices of this brand, and you should only choose the most affordable deal.
7) AIRMEGA 400 – Best Bang for the BuckPreviously in our list: Oransi EJ120.
AIRMEGA is the lineup of Coway‘s most expensive air purifiers, and the big perk is that it comes with high-end Max2 air filter that does improve the performance while emitting no ozone. The AIRMEGA 400S is by far the flagship of Coway, but the standard AIRMEGA 400 backs almost all the same top-end features into a lower price tag. Let’s take a first look at the powerful air filtration system of this AIRMEGA 400:
- Pre-filter – A powerful washable pre-filter is available to help you capture large objects of contaminants. Remember to dry the pre-filter in the shade before re-installing it.
- Max2 filter – A combination of both Activated Carbon Filter and True HEPA filter, this filter can both capture up to 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns. It also reduces more than 99 percent of volatile organic compounds and reduces fumes such as NH3 and CH3CHO.
AIRMEGA 400 inherits the patented high-quality True HEPA filter from Coway, and forms it into an all-in-one Max2 filter for simple installation. Coway removes the ionizer completely, to guarantee an ozone-free air purifier, which is also certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
The AIRMEGA 400 is a great air purifier itself, and it isn’t shadowed by its Wi-Fi siblings, thanks to the poor attempts at making application by Coway. We recommend you to buy the non-Wi-Fi version for a much lower price, while maintaining the high-end specs.
This air purifier is suggested to use in an up to 1560 square feet by the manufacturers, and yes, AIRMEGA 400 has a truly high fan power with CADR rating of 340 Dust/ 350 Smoke/ 400 Pollen (cfm). Moreover, it is certified by the Energy Star, so you can run the device 24/7 without worrying about the electricity bill.
Though it doesn’t have the Wi-Fi connection feature, AIRMEGA 400 still has a Smart Sensor to help you just set it and forget it. The sensor can give feedback on the air quality indicator, as well as adjust the fan automatically to match the environment’s needs.
Here is the pros/cons of AIRMEGA 400:
- Top-notch performance rating
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Remarkable Technology and Fan Power
- Impressive quiet
- 3-year warranty
- App receives many negative reviews
- High cost filter replacement
Review: AIRMEGA 400 Review.
Related post: Best large room air purifiers.
The AIRMEGA lineup of Coway has only air purifiers for mid-range to high-range, and they all run with high fan power. The AIRMEGA 400 can cover 1560 square feet, while the AIRMEGA 300 drops to only 1256 square feet. Luckily, their price points all drop down at the moment, so you can get the top-class flagships much easier.
Review: AIRMEGA 300 Review.
8) Blueair Classic 605 – A bit more for Ultra PerformancePreviously in our list: Blueair Classic 480i.
If you are still reading, you have already aimed at mid-range to high-range air purifiers. Beside the high-quality air filter, the air purifier is nothing but a powerful fan to suck in the air from your whole room. The more powerful the fan is, the more expensive your device will be.
Blueair is a powerhouse in air purifier industry, marking of 20 years in this market. It is not a surprise if you have heard the well-known name of Blueair. Right now, the Blueair device that impresses us the most is the Blueair Classic 605. Let’s look at the powerful air filtration of this machine, which is completely safe for being complied with CARB’s standard.
- Particle/SmokeStop filter – You can choose from the Particle Filter with the power to capture 99.97% of pollutants such as pollen, dust, pet dander, mold spores, viruses and bacteria down to 0.1 microns. Otherwise, you can pay more for SmokeStop Filter, which is most likely the combination of True HEPA filter and Activated Carbon filter.
It is the 2020 trend that high-range air purifiers are using only one alone air filter. This all-in-one air filter will help users install the air filter much easier. By combining both mechanical and electrostatic filtration, the Blueair Classic 605 has high efficiency against even the as small as 0.1 microns airborne particles. Moreover, with the SmokeStop air filter, made of magnesium dioxide and copper oxide impregnation, Blueair Classic 605 can adsorb most of the common gaseous pollutants like Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), traffic exhaust, smog, odors, and smoke.
The Blueair Classic 605 doesn’t have the Smart Sensor like the previous Classic 480i. But with only $50 more expensive, this air purifier is the flagship of the well-known Classic series in Blueair family. It is certified by AHAM to clean a room of 700 square feet with very high fan power: 400 Dust/ 450 Smoke/ 450 Pollen (cfm). As high fan power as the Blueair Classic 605 is, it is energy efficient with a certification of Energy Star. Believe us, this air purifier has a much better performance/energy rating than any members in Blueair family.
Blueair not only focuses on the performance of their air purifiers, but also improves the Smart features for their modern machines. Blueair Classic 605 makes use of a perfect Wi-Fi enabled connection. By downloading the Blueair Friend app and connecting it to the Classic 605, you can control this air purifier using an Android or iOS smartphone. Moreover, Blueair Classic 605 can be used with Voice Control of Alexa.
If you want to put a stop to your allergies and asthma symptoms, this is one of the best deals you could get.
Here is the pros/cons of Blueair Classic 605:
- World class performance rating
- Wi-Fi Enabled Connectivity feature
- Peak technology to reduce the noise level and maximize the air flow
- 5-year warranty
- Quite noisy at the highest setting
- No Smart Sensor
Review: Blueair Classic 605 Review.
In the Blueair Classic family, we will have air purifiers from all ranges of room coverage. The Blueair Classic 205 can cover only 280 square feet. The Blueair Classic 405 is much of a downgraded version of this Blueair Classic 480i, is able to cover 430 square feet. Finally, the Blueair Classic 480i is the only air purifier in this family with an integrated Smart Sensor.
Also, we are happy to show you the Blueair Sense+, an eye-catching expression of modern style. With the well-known technology of Blueair, you will have a Blueair Classic in a more modern design and smaller room coverage (186 square feet).
9) Alen BreatheSmart 75i – Best for Customer ServicePreviously in our list: Alen BreatheSmart.
As the upgraded version of last year’s best air purifier – the Alen BreatheSmart, the Alen BreatheSmart 75i is the best flagship of the Alen company, also earned the Consumer Digest’s Best Buy. Finally, we have a True HEPA air purifier from this brand, which is backed up by the lifetime warranty policy.
Fun facts: AlenCorp is the only company offering a lifetime warranty. Their motto is “put the customers first”.
Let’s see the 3-stage air cleaning system to meet your needs in the Alen BreatheSmart 75i:
- Pre-filter – A washable pre-filter to help capture the large objects of pollutants like dust, pet hair and pollen.
- True HEPA Filter – There are 4 types of True HEPA filter for you to choose from:
- Pure – The standard True HEPA filter of Alen BreatheSmart 75i, which is able to capture 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns pollutant particles such as dust, dust mites and pollen.
- Fresh – The next level HEPA filter will improve the first Pure, with the addition of Activated Carbon filter, to deal with the household odors and chemicals. This air filter is necessary for people who are sensitive to VOCs.
- Pet – Without the Activated Carbon filter, the Pet air filter uses the Alen’s patented Molecular Conversion Powder to ensure heavy pet odors are destroyed at a molecular level.
- Heavy Odor – Alen BreatheSmart 75i changed the Molecular Conversion Powder in the Pet air filter to make the new Heavy Odor filter, which can remove the household odors from smelly kids/teenagers, kitchen garbage, and other everyday activities.
- Ionizer – The ionizer is used to improve the efficiency of this Alen BreatheSmart 75i. Can be switched on/off.
The Alen BreatheSmart 75i is the first time the brand’s True HEPA air purifier was seen as a real rival to the Rabbit Air MinusA2. With 4 different types of True HEPA filter, Alen BreatheSmart 75i is ready to deal with any types of pollutant particles.
It has better fan power than every predecessor sharing its brand, with a large room coverage of 1300 square feet. However, with the WhisperMax technology, Alen BreatheSmart 75i is undoubtedly quiet. This air purifier also generate soothing pink noise – a frequency proven to help you sleep 25% better. A great air purifier for bedroom, right?
The device is still an absolute looker with 15 panel color options including of white, blue, brushed bronze and stainless, black, rosewood, natural maple and more to match your personal style.
Finally, we will have the high-end features in this air purifier, such as the Smart Sensor with an LED light indicator. It adjusts BreatheSmart 75i’s cleaning power to achieve the best air quality while saving energy and maximize filter life. That’s why the air purifier also achieves an Energy Star rating.
Here is the pros/cons of Alen BreatheSmart 75i:
- Customizable color options
- Great Air filtration process, with True HEPA filter
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- WhisperMax technology – better silence
- Lifetime warranty
- Customized color options
- Bigger than average air purifiers
- High-range cost
Review: Alen BreatheSmart 75i Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for office.
It is fair to say with around $700, Alen BreatheSmart 75i is the flagship of AlenCorp. If you can’t afford to pay for the True HEPA version of this brand, you can have a look for its predecessors. The Alen BreatheSmart and Alen BreatheSmart FIT50 don’t have the True HEPA filter, but are also capable of removing the impurities.
10) IQAir GC MultiGas – High-range representativePreviously in our list: IQAir GC MultiGas.
In this high-range segment, only the bulky machines which can cover a large area have a chance to compete in. IQAir is that giant, with the foundation to be 50 years ago, and one active partner of the American Lung Association.
Let’s look at the product IQAir proudly claim to be the #1 Air purifier for smoke, odors and MCS – IQAir GC MultiGas. This air purifier features four stages of superior filtration as below:
- HyperHEPA filter – The first stage of filtration features a powerful pre-filter, which can capture 99% of particles down to 0.3 microns, and 95% of particles as small as 0.003 microns.
- Cartridge-based activated carbon filter – Made with the highest quality ABS plastics, this filter can remove VOCs and odors effectively.
- Cartridge-based chemisorption – This stage destroys harmful chemicals, such as formaldehyde, by an oxidation process inside a chemically active alumina pellet.
- Post-filter sleeve – A post-filter sleeve wraps each gas cartridge to prevent media dust from being released.
Instead of trying to prolong the lifetime of True HEPA filter with a pre-filter, IQAir GC MultiGas implement the HyperHEPA technology to increase the particulate loading capacity by 13%. As a result, your air filter will run for a good one year.
Next, their two cartridge-based adsorptions are responsible for destroying any harmful chemicals in smoke. This process is backed up with an unique 3D UltraSeal no-leakage design to prevent air from escaping back into the room without being drawn through the GC MultiGas filters.
The bottom line is the most powerful, energy efficient New Edition fan. With an astonishing high CADR rating of 300 cfm and up to 776 cfm, IQAir GC MultiGas is a powerhouse in the area of 1125 square feet. Moreover, the new fan design reduce the sound pressure, making this air purifier as quiet as possible.
As a high-end machine, IQAir GC MultiGas also has many smart features like Smart Sensor, intelligent filter life monitor, Advanced timer and Advanced fan speed selection. This air purifier can be controlled via a remote controller.
For the performance rating of IQAir GC MultiGas, there is no better test than how the IQAir president – Frank Hammes had stepped in a chamber full of smoke within 10 minutes. We don’t dare to test it at home, and we warn you not to try this.
Here is the pros/cons of IQAir GC MultiGas:
- Perfect performance rating
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Remarkable Technology and Fan Power
- Smart Features like Smart Sensor
- Extra large room coverage: 1125 square feet
- Impressive quiet
- Low power consumption
- 5-year warranty
- High-range cost
Review: IQAir GC MultiGas Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for smoke.
If you are a non-smoker, perhaps you should look for the IQAir HealthPro Plus. It is claimed to be #1 air purifier for allergies and asthma. Instead of using an ABS cartridge to adsorb the chemicals and VOCs like GC MultiGas, IQAir HealthPro Plus purifies the air with a normal 3-layer filter. The difference is HealthPro Plus is using the next level of HyperHEPA filter to capture 99.97% down to 0.3 microns, and 99.5% of 0.003 microns particles.
Meanwhile, IQAir Atem is one of the best personal air purifiers. This air purifier is small enough to fit in your carry-on, and has perfect size for your work space. If you are convinced by the high-range devices of IQAir, you should check the price right now.
Buying Guide for Best Air Purifier in 2020
Above is a complete list of the top 10 air purifiers in 2020 that are the most outsell in the market. This guarantees that no matter which one you choose in this top 10, you’ll enjoy a really great long-term investment for your health. If you are still uncertain of why you should have an air purifier, you should have known Air pollution is dangerously high for almost half of the US. Yes, we are not as safe as you think.
Now, you should have read our complete best air purifier’s buying guide to better prepare before giving decisions. You’ll see, we’ve done everything to make sure you don’t make any mistakes.
We hope that this list of the best air purifiers has been a valuable guide for you to help you make a good buying decision.
Here is a buying guide for you to choose the right air purifier:
Choosing the right filter types
The classic Air purifier comes with a HEPA filter. Some may have other filters for specific needs, here are the terminology and definitions:
Pre-filter – An essential feature of air purifiers that use a HEPA style filter. The pre-filter captures large dust and pet dander to help prolong the lifetime of the main filter. Most pre-filters are washable and reusable and last a lifetime.
True HEPA Filter – This is the highest standard air filter you can get for a best air purifier. In order to carry this label, the filter must meet strict regulations set by the United States Department of Energy (DOE) and capture at least 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns. A true HEPA filter needs to be replaced after 6 months to 1 year, and you should use a suitable replacement for your air purifiers.
Activated Carbon (or Charcoal) Filter – This filter can adsorb odorous particles and gases. That’s why it can remove the smells produced by smoke, pets, cooking, chemicals, etc.
Ionic Filter (or Ionizer) – This filter emits negative ions to charge small particles like dust, pollen and bacteria and collect them into a plate.
UV-C Light – The Ultra Violet light destroy bacteria and virus by sterilizing them. The UV-C Light (UV Light type C) is harmless to humans.
Advanced BioGS HEPA Filter – A technology from Rabbit Air, to help prolong the life of the main True HEPA filter.
Permanent HEPA Filter – A technology from Hamilton Beach, to make their HEPA-type filter be cleaned by vacuum, therefore you don’t need to replace their HEPA filter.
HEPA-type Filter – This filter is a lower quality version of a True HEPA filter and doesn’t meet the standards set in place by the U.S. DOE mentioned above.
Choosing the right size air purifier
It is highly recommended to check your air purifier’s size and room capability. The size of an air purifier is varied, and if you do not have room for your new air purifier, it would be a disaster.
Room capability, or how well your air purifier can cover is also a crucial factor. You know, air purifier is not an one size fit all machine. Most air purifier is designed for a small room of 100 to 400 square feet. For a larger room, you will need an additional air purifier or larger coverage one. Otherwise your air purifier will not meet your demands, and cost you much more energy than normal.
Knowing some terminology in air purifier
ACH Stands for “Air Changes Per Hour”
The ACH rating, stands for Air Changes per Hour, tells you how many times the device can exchange the air within a room with clean, fresh air every hour. For example, 4X means the device cleans air four times per hour.
Common ACH ratings in best air purifier you’ll see are 4x, 5x, 6x, etc
Remember that the advertised ACH for air purifier is normally when you use the maximum fan speed.
CADR Stands for “Clean Air Delivery Rate”
Developer by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM), CADR, stands for Clean Air Delivery Rate, tells exactly how well an air purifier can clean the air within a particular size room.
For example, an air purifier with a CADR like this: dust/500 cfm, pollen/640 cfm, and smoke/500 cfm (or 500 Dust/500 Smoke/640 Pollen) will normally have a coverage from 700 to 800 square feet.
Knowing your problems and how air purifier fix them
1, To help with your allergies
Each year, about 2000 people are diagnosed with nasal cavity in the United States. Airborne allergens wreak havoc on the immune system and cause many unpleasant symptoms like eye irritation, coughing, sneezing, painful headaches and more.
True HEPA filter air purifiers are the best one for you. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for allergies List.
2, To reduce asthma
One again, you should aim at True HEPA Filter. If you have any problems with ion, stop using your Ionizer filter immediately. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for asthma List.
3, To prevent dust
For better air purifier’s filter life, you should use the one with pre-filter. Air purifier with a HEPA filter will help prevent dust as much as possible. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for dust List.
4, To trap pet hair and dander
All of HEPA air purifiers (especially True HEPA ones) can capture pet hair and dander with no difficulty. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for pets List.
5, To remove smoke and odors
You must look for an Activated Carbon filter (or Charcoal filter) to help remove all the smokes and smells. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for smoke List.
6, To protect your babies in nursery
Babies are born with an immature immune system and have underdeveloped defense mechanisms. However, they breathe in double the amount of air (and polluted air) more than any adults. If one parent has allergies to airborne contaminants, there’s a 25% chance that a child will also be allergic. That’s why you need to find the best ones in Best air purifier for baby List to protect your precious little one.
We hope you have found your best air purifier right now. Thank you for reading.
Rating Breathe Quality
- Average ratings for this post