Because you are here on this page, you must be trying to find out what are the best air purifiers to buy for your home or your office.
Yes, you’re in the right place!
Let’s not waste countless hours searching through any others of websites just to find the top rated air purifiers that fit your specific needs. Because in Breathe Quality:
- We do give honest reviews (both pros and cons) and a base comparison for all the air purifiers so anyone will guarantee to have the wisest choices.
- We do not (and we never) exaggerate one product just to let you click the links and buy that product blindly.
- Air purifiers are for everyone. Believing that, we will give you the best air purifiers in all price ranges. To know the exact price of your air purifier, just hit the Check price button.
- The list of best air purifiers is updated regularly. We need at least 2 weeks of continuous running to guarantee the best performance of one air purifier. If one new air purifier is released, we will keep updating our list. You will never find an outdated air purifier here.
On this page, you’ll find everything you need to quickly make the right decision on which air purifier to get in 2019. The 2019 allergy season is upon us, when at least 30% of the U.S is in medium to high status of pollen allergies. If you’re considering buying a new air purifier, keep in mind that our list is always up-to-date to serve you. Even if you want to hold off, you are welcomed back to check the list again for your top rate best air purifiers.
UPDATED: We have updated our list of best air purifiers in 03/03/2019. In Breathe Quality, we keep updating our posts whenever possible, and this update is the result of a 3-month consecutive experiment in our labs (we’ve tested 120+ air purifiers, which 40 of them are new). That’s why we can make sure that you will get the right air purifier for your needs. Our next update will be set for 3-6 months later, depending on the release of new products from the well-known air purifier brands. However, you don’t need to wait, because the air purifier market won’t change so quickly.
We know that not everyone has time to find, research, check reviews and ratings of air purifiers from a huge ton of websites. Therefore, this page aims at helping you, yes you, find the right air purifier for your needs in a quick and efficient way. We have read many other reviews in the whole Internet and rather find them outdated (some were written 2 years ago), or just sorted the most expensive or most popular air purifiers in top for the maximum benefits. Well, we never do it.
We promise, our wish is nothing but your healthy life!
Other helpful lists of best air purifiers you should read:
We hope this list of the top rated best air purifiers in 2019 is exactly what you’re looking for and that it not only saves you time trying to find the right device but also helps you get the most value for your money! Thank you!
Base Comparison Table of Best Air Purifiers in 2019
This Comparison Table of best air purifiers will help you have a quick overview of our list of Top 10 Best Air Purifiers in 2019. The factors for comparison in this table are the Filter Types of this air purifier, also we give the most concerned factors as the Room Coverage, and the filter replacement of this air purifier for you.
Remember that you should check the review for each air purifier. We will share all the knowledge about the pros and cons of them, also with other products from the same air purifier’s manufacturers. So even if you can’t find your favorite air purifier products in this table, please look up for the review of the same brand’s product. There you will find your favorite best air purifier in 2019 for sure.
Top 10 Best Air Purifiers in 2019 List
1) Rabbit Air MinusA2 – Our 2019 WinnerPreviously in our list: Rabbit Air MinusA2.
Even after testing a lot more air purifiers, right now, Breathe Quality is proud to announce that Rabbit Air MinusA2 is, again, our winner as the Best Air Purifier in 2019.
And why we consider it the best air purifier system for home available in 2019?
Rabbit Air is one leader in the U.S air purifier market, starting from 2004. Their Rabbit Air MinusA2 is the latest air purifier product to compete in the mid-range air purifier market. To perfect this product, Rabbit Air created a 6-stage purification & deodorization system to make the cleanest, freshest air possible in the world. Let’s dive into the power of this best air purifier.
- Pre-filter – The polluted air must pass through a pre-filter, there it will capture all large particles, along with dust mites and some of pet hair.
- Medium Filter – Traps large pollen, pet dander, mold and dust particles that is small enough to bypass the Pre-filter.
- Advanced BioGS HEPA Filter – It is a True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of all allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles down to 0.3 microns. Rabbit Air advances their air filter process, therefore prolong optimal filter efficiency and filter life of their HEPA Filter.
- Customized Filter – Double the protection with a variety of customized filters for specific needs like Germ Defense, Pet Allergy, Odor Remover, or Toxin Absorber.
- Activated Carbon Filter – Eliminates odors, smokes and chemical vapors.
- Ion Generator – The last line of defense is an ionizer to capture even the tiniest particles of pollutant and trap them into other filters. Can be switched on/off.
To decide the performance of one air purifier, we must both check the quantity and the quality of its air filters. As you can see, Rabbit Air MinusA2 is extremely powerful because of its 6-layer air filtration, meanwhile the common air purifier only makes use of 2 to a maximum of 4 filters for air purification. However, this air purifier doesn’t just show off lots of air filters. The bottom line is the high quality of each filter in the MinusA2.
Rabbit Air MinusA2 uses not only one but twice the pre-filtration. With both the Pre-filter and Medium filter, it will reduce most of large and medium pollutant objects. Remember that the pre-filter of MinusA2 is washable and permanent to use.
Through the double pre-filtration and thanks to the Advanced BioGS technology, the True HEPA filter will only need to capture the as small as 0.3 microns particles. Most importantly, it increases the efficiency and lifetime of MinusA2’s True HEPA filter so it can last up to 2 years. You will profitably reduce the annual cost of HEPA Filter replacement.
Expert tip: Why you need True HEPA filter instead of normal HEPA filter? Why you need to replace it? Find your answer in this article.
The double protection layer with True HEPA filter in the Rabbit Air MinusA2 is a Customized filter. If you have serious allergies or asthma for a specific reason, you can tailor to fit your needs. Each filter (Germ Defense, Pet Allergy, Odor Remover, or Toxin Absorber) is specially engineered to trap and reduce different types of germs, chemicals, odors and allergens. Together with the Activated Carbon filter, made of high-grade granular activated carbon, the Rabbit Air MinusA2 can effectively reduce all types of smoke, chemicals and common household odors.
As the last line of defense, the Ion Generator will remove even the tiniest particles of pollutants by trapping it back in other layers. We have recorded that the amount of ozone is about 0.002 ppm, which is 25 times less than the 0.05 ppm maximum ozone safety standard set by California Air Resource Board, so MinusA2 will never irritate asthma and respiratory issues. However, if you don’t like this function, you can easily turn it off with a simple button.
Overall, on a scale of 0-10, we will no doubt give Rabbit Air MinusA2 a perfect 10 score. We also gave survey to hundreds of people who suffered from serious allergies and asthma and asked them the before/after using MinusA2 experience. 100% of them rated MinusA2 as the life saver. It is incredible, right?
Rabbit Air MinusA2 is not only powerful inside, it is beautiful outside. You can choose the front panel from many different artistic design choices, from Vincent Van Gogh, Claude Monet, Katsushika Hokusai to original designs by Rabbit Air’s creative team. Moreover, you can mount this air purifier on your wall, making it a perfect art.
MinusA2 comes with three editions. The first is SPA-700A, which covers up to 700 sq ft (around 65 sq m). The bigger (covers up to 815 sq ft) has two editions: SPA-780A (with no Wi-Fi connection) and SPA-780N (Wi-Fi enabled). With Wi-Fi enabled, the SPA-780N can be controlled via an iOS application.
Fun fact: the model name give you exactly the area it can cover, for example, SPA-700A covers 700 sq ft and so on.
One more thing we will love this air purifier is because of its silence. To reduce the noise level, instead of decreasing the air filters, Rabbit Air improves their fan with an advanced technology. You will have a both quiet and powerful air purifier, all without a need for regular maintenance.
If you still have doubt for this air purifier, you should look below. Thanks to the low power consumption, a long-term investment in Rabbit Air MinusA2 will reduce both the annual filter cost and energy cost of you.
Here is the pros/cons of Rabbit Air MinusA2:
- Top-notch performance
- Advanced Air Filtration process
- Smart Features like Sensor and Wi-Fi Capability
- Lowest overall annual filter cost and energy cost
- Ultra Quiet
- Saves space by mounting on the wall
- Artist Series is really amazing
- 5-year warranty
- Basic cost of filter replacement is high
- No Android app for Wi-Fi version – SPA-780N
Review: Rabbit Air MinusA2 Review.
Rabbit Air also provides another good air purifier that we will certainly save a slot in this list if not for the MinusA2: the Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 SPA-625A. This air purifier is also powerful with the BioGS HEPA Filter technology from Rabbit Air in 2019, with a cost of nearly half of the MinusA2. With a 4-stage air filtration and a coverage of 625 sq ft, Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 is still a good air purifier to pick.
Are you convinced? If yes, please check the review of Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 SPA-625A.
Review: Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 Review.
2) Levoit LV-H132 – Best Portable Air Purifier under $100Previously in our list: Levoit LV-H132.
Fun fact: Levoit LV-H132 is the #1 Best Seller air purifier in Amazon.
Though the original price tag is $109, Levoit always try to keep the actual price in Amazon of this Levoit LV-H132 as low as possible (from $30 to $40 OFF). It explains most of the popularity this air purifier got, especially when the closest competitors, the AeraMax 100 and Blue Pure 411, can’t keep the price under $100.
With their favorite quote: “One less snooze = a morning walk around the block”, the American brand Levoit is building up a very active community for air cleaning purposes. Their most favorite air purifier in the market – the Levoit LV-H132 comes with a 3-stage air filtration system:
- Pre-filter – This fine preliminary filter is able to capture large particles of pollutants. You need to vacuum this filter regularly because it is only effective for a short time.
- True HEPA Filter – A True HEPA Filter can reduce 99.97% of down to 0.3 microns dust mites allergens, virus particles, pollen, bacteria particles.
- Activated Carbon Filter – It is great at eliminating odors and smoke in your home.
There are not many certified True HEPA air purifiers in this low-range segment. More than this, the performance of LV-H132 is about 10% better than other HEPA-type filters, and therefore is one best air purifier for the price. If you have serious problems with allergies and asthma, or you just want an affordable best device, this air purifier is the right one for you. Its True HEPA filter meets the strictly standards to remove 99.9% of dust, smoke, odor, mold spores, pet dander and particles as small as 0.3 microns.
The Levoit LV-H132‘s design is small and elegant, with 2 main color editions: Black and White. This compact True HEPA air purifier is mostly suitable for small bedroom and for personal use. The room coverage of LV-H132 is only 100 sq ft.
We believe this air purifier is one of the best devices for your babies. The Nightlight function and Quiet Mode of Levoit LV-H132 is really great to bring a safe and sound sleep to your children.
Here is the pros/cons of Levoit LV-H132:
- True HEPA Filter for $100
- Small size, perfect for a nightstand
- Generally quiet
- Small coverage of room area: 100 sq ft
- No Smart features like filter replacement indicator or timer
- Only 1-year warranty
Review: Levoit LV-H132 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for bedroom.
LV-H132 is not the only portable air purifier from this brand. Last year, Levoit released the Levoit LV-H126 – which has an even better price to get. However, we found a high drop of efficiency after many thorough comparison tests between LV-H132 and LV-H126.
If you are willing to spend more than $200, you will have an air purifier with the better fan power, the larger room coverage and a necessary Smart Sensor. With the new Smart Sensor, your air purifier will detect the real-time indoor air quality, then automatically adjust the fan power to suit the environment. This feature is mostly used in the high-end air purifiers, which you don’t need to manually control your air purifier anymore. Here you are with the Levoit LV-PUR131 and Levoit LV-H133.
Now, in 2019, Levoit finally brought out the Levoit LV-H134 – as an ambitious move to seize the mid-range market. This air purifier is at the moment the best machine of Levoit, in terms of both the fan power and the high performance. It can cover a room 710 sq ft.
3) Coway AP-1512HH – Best for Performance and ValuePreviously in our list: Coway AP-1512HH.
Coway is still holding the No.1 position in Korean Air Purifier’s market in 2019. As always in the top of Amazon 2019 Best Seller for air purifier, Coway AP-1512HH is a favorite air purifier with an amazing performance rating. We have seen lots of reviewers who spoke high of this device.
Why is Coway Mighty Air Purifier AP-1512HH so highly rated in almost all of air purifiers’ review websites?
Mainly due to this important 4-Stage air filtration:
- Pre-filter – A washable pre-filter will help you capture the large particles of contaminants, from pet hair, human hair and mold.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This filter works its best to deodorize and trap harmful gas to keep your place fresh and odor-free.
- True HEPA Filter – The high-performance composite True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of down to 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
- Ionizer – Vital ionize can trap even the tiniest airborne particles and send it back to other filters. Can be switched on/off.
However, having a lot of air filters is just one side of the coin. The bottom line is the top-notch performance rating of this air purifier under the low-range segment. We have 3 clear winners when testing all under $300 air purifiers in 1 hour, and clearly the Coway AP-1512HH is one of them.
But the superior part of this air purifier is the Smart features. The Coway technology allows their air purifiers to automatically adjust the airflow speed based on the air quality status via the Smart Sensor in Eco Mode. Also, the unique Eco Mode technology can shut down the fan when it detected no air pollution, perfect for saving energy. With an already low power consumption, with Eco Mode, it is safe to say Coway AP-1512HH is the best for both performance and value you can get.
Moreover, the room coverage of this air purifier is impressive with 360 sq ft at maximum.
With a small compact size, the Coway AP-1512HH is really high efficient. We even have one in our home, and after 7 months using, its reaction to odors and cooking smells is still one of the best.
Some reviewers complained that the display light on the top is too bright, and it can’t be turned off. It is true. So if you have problems with light, please do not set the air purifier in your bedroom.
No more saying, this is the best value air purifier you can get in low-range budget.
Here is the pros/cons of Coway AP-1512HH:
- Amazing performance rating
- Advanced air filtration process
- Smart Features like Smart Sensor and Eco Mode
- Low power consumption
- Small-size and lightweight
- Large room coverage of 360 sq ft
- 3-year warranty
- The top light can’t be turned off
- The ionizer emits a little ozone
Review: Coway AP-1512HH Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for dust.
It’s hard to find a Coway’s fan without using Coway AP-1512HH, but to give a honest review for the best air purifier, we will give the last two items of them. Coway AP-0512NH is also a compact like Coway AP-1512HH, but with a smaller size and smaller coverage. Comes with Therapy 6 Sounds developed by Doctors, this one is the most suitable for baby’s bedroom.
Coway AP-1216L is a tower air purifier, only covers a smaller of 330 sq ft. The Technology of Coway AP-1216L is basically the same with our Coway AP-1512HH.
At the moment, Coway is under the new air purifier brand named AIRMEGA. The new products are mostly for mid-range to high-range segment. Let’s take a look at these AIRMEGA 300S and AIRMEGA 400S to see if it could fit you more than the Coway AP-1512HH.
4) Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover HPA300 – High Performance RatingPreviously in our list: Honeywell HPA300.
Fun fact: Honeywell is claimed to be more than 130 years of Innovation, such a long-history brand.
Honeywell is not just an air purifier’s brand. In fact, this Fortune-100 company invents and manufactures the technologies for a lot of world’s challenges like energy, security, productivity and so on.
Honeywell HPA300 is a powerful device with only 2-stage air filtration system:
- Pre-filter – The pre-filter has Activated Carbon filter in it. This will both help adsorb VOCs, gases, odors and trap larger particles.
- True HEPA Filter – The powerful True HEPA filter can capture up to 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns pollutant particles like pet dander, mold, viruses, bacteria and pollen.
There is no doubt that Honeywell is using the best True HEPA filter technology in the world. With only one layer of True HEPA filter, Honeywell HPA300 is still on par with Coway AP-1512HH in terms of the power. As we can see below, this True HEPA filter is capable of capturing the 0.005 microns viruses.
To reduce the size of this air purifier, Honeywell has combined both the pre-filter and activated carbon filter. However, this pre-filter needs to be replaced after 3 months. This is a big minus to Honeywell HPA300 because of the high filter replacement cost.
While standing in the low-range segment, Honeywell HPA300 utilizes a very high fan power, as well as fantastic CADR and ACH that even surpasses the mid-range air purifiers. As a result, this machine can handle a very large area up to 465 sq ft.
Unfortunately, this air purifier has a high noise level due to the powerful fan. And while being the best seller of this company, the Honeywell HPA300 lacks of many important Smart features.
Our verdict is Honeywell HPA300 is still one of the best air purifiers we’ve put through its paces to date, earning even good reviews praising its build and performance versus cost. Additionally, the price is coming down due to the fact that there is new flagship named Honeywell HPA600B for high-range space.
Here is the pros/cons of Honeywell HPA300:
- Lacks of Smart Features
- High cost of filter replacement
Review: Honeywell HPA300 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for allergies.
If you find the 465 sq ft not necessary, Honeywell provides a variety of selections for air purifier, being the smallest Honeywell HPA100 (with 155 sq ft) or the medium Honeywell HPA200 (with 310 sq ft).
Basically, all Honeywell’s products share the same technology, only with the different in the size and the room coverage. So before purchasing any Honeywell’s products, please check your room’s area again. If you want the smart features, you should buy the Honeywell HPA250B or the Honeywell HPA600B.
Fun fact: The model names of Honeywell give you exactly the room capability of air purifier (higher means larger). The white-version’s name is the black model number plus 4. Example: if Black model is HPA100 then White model is HPA104 and so on.
5) Winix HR1000 – Best Solution for Pet OwnersPreviously in our list: Winix WAC9500.
If you have pets at home, you must encounter more than one time the pet problems like pet hair, pet odors and pet dander. We all love our pets, but we need a solution for these pet allergies and odor troubles.
Winix is also a must-look brand when looking for an air purifier in your home. With more than 15 years experience in the U.S market, the Korean-based brand is the ultimate solution for any kinds of pet allergies, especially with their best air purifier – the Winix HR1000.
- Pre-filter – The pre-filter will help capture the large objects of contaminants, such as pet hair and even some kinds of pet dander. Just like other high-end machines, the pre-filter is washable.
- True HEPA Filter – The True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of down to 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
- Anti-Microbial Coating – Though this is not a physical filter, it helps prevent the growth of mold on the surface of the True HEPA filter.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This Activated Carbon filter will eliminate odors and smokes, also reduce the common household chemicals.
- Winix PlasmaWave – The last line of defense, which can further reduce the amount of pollutants. Can be switched on/off.
Winix HR1000 features the unique technology of Winix – PlasmaWave, to produce both positive and negative ions (in plasma state). Then it will generate the Hydroxyls to neutralize any kinds of airborne pollutants such as viruses, bacteria, germs, odors, and chemical gases (VOCs).
The combination of both True HEPA Filter and PlasmaWave technology is the reason why this Winix HR1000 is so powerful against most of toxic contaminants. Moreover, not like the ionizer filter, the PlasmaWave won’t irritate asthma and respiratory issues. That’s why PlasmaWave is considered the safest technology to combat with the smallest bacteria.
The Winix HR1000 has a better efficiency than the previous Winix WAC9500, because of these two reasons. First, the latest Anti-Microbial Coating is improved in the new Winix HR1000, to prevent the mold growth on the True HEPA filter. Second, this air purifier has a better AHAM verified room coverage, up to 400 sq ft. Right now, with 5X ACH and a better CADR rating, the Winix HR1000 is the most hunted air purifier of this brand.
The last but not least, we must take into account the new Smart features. Winix HR1000 serves both the excellent Smart Sensor and Smart Wi-Fi connectivity function. For an air purifier under $300 (in Amazon), this could be the best one with high-end features.
Here is the pros/cons of Winix HR1000:
- Fantastic performance rating
- Unique powerful and safe PlasmaWave Technology
- Smart features like Smart Sensor and Wi-Fi connectivity
- Impressively quiet
- Good area coverage of 284 sq ft
- Some still claim that PlasmaWave irritate asthma
- Electromagnetic interference from certain electronics may cause product malfunction
Review: Winix HR1000 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for pets.
Winix HR1000 is the best product you can buy from Winix at the moment. But if you can afford the price, you can look for the trio of Winix C535, Winix 5300-2 and Winix 5500-2. They all have the relatively same performance of the 3-stage air filtration from this company. However, you still have the Smart Sensor from the latest products in these air purifiers.
Or if you are not a fan of the Wi-Fi-enabled air purifiers, you can look for the previous Winix WAC9500, one of our best air purifiers last year. It is good, but for the price, you will have more with the new Winix HR1000, honestly.
6) GermGuardian AC9200WCA – The best GermGuardian air purifier to datePreviously in our list: GermGuardian CDAP5500BCA.
The low-range segment is always the most competitive field of air purifier market. In this segment, the Guardian Technologies rises as the most well-known name for affordable air purifiers. As an U.S brand for manufacturing a variety of products ranging from air purifier, humidifier to spa therapy, their GermGuardian air purifiers are always staying high in the consumers’ list for many years (currently they have 2 in top 20 Amazon Best seller for Air purifiers).
Fun fact: Guardian Technologies allows dogs in their office.
GermGuardian AC9200WCA is the latest product in 2019 of this brand. This device is currently the best one of GermGuardian using the powerful 3-stage air cleaning system. Let’s see how we get with this air purifier:
- Pre-filter – A normal pre-filter screen that can capture large dust particles and pet hair, mostly to help extend the True HEPA filter life.
- True HEPA Filter and Activated Carbon Filter – GermGuardian AC9200WCA uses double the normal quantity of True HEPA filter and Activated Carbon filter, to double the filtration for up to 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns particles like household dust, pet dander, mold spores and plant pollen. The Activated granular carbon filter reduces odors from pets, smoking, cooking along with harmful VOC’s emitted from a variety of household products and chemicals.
- UV-C Light filter – The latest GermGuardian UV-C light bulb to kill germs without the use of chemicals and produces no ozone or chemical sprays. It can also kill airborne bacteria, viruses and mold spores.
The GermGuardian AC9200WCA is the latest attempt of this company to compete in the entry-level of mid-range segment. It combines both the True HEPA filter and an UV-C Light to not just capture the pollutant objects but also kill the germs and bacteria inside them. The UV-C light, which is harmless to human, can disrupt the core DNA of the germs and viruses, and destroy them totally.
Thanks to the new fan power, this air purifier is excellent for a better room coverage of 335 sq ft, also with the great ACH and CADR ratings. Through many rigorous tests, we can confirm the fan power of this GermGuardian AC9200WCA is even better than the Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0.
Here is the pros/cons of GermGuardian AC9200WCA:
- Great performance rating
- Powerful air filtration process
- Best Deal for low-range segment
- 5-year warranty
- Quite noisy at the highest setting
- No Smart features
Review: GermGuardian AC9200WCA Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for mold.
As we stated above, Guardian Technologies is the leader in low-range budget air purifiers. At the moment, they have 2 in top 20 of Amazon Best sellers for Best Air Purifier: GermGuardian AC4825 and GermGuardian AC4300BPTCA.
For the price, the GermGuardian AC5250PT and the GermGuardian CDAP4500BCA are also the top choices to pick. Honestly, we don’t find any difference among the low-range devices of this brand, and you should only choose the most affordable deal.
7) Blueair Classic 480i – Still a Great Air PurifierPreviously in our list: Blueair Classic 605.
If you are still reading, you have already aimed at mid-range to high-range air purifiers. Beside the high-quality air filter, the air purifier is nothing but a powerful fan to suck in the air from your whole room. The more powerful the fan is, the more expensive your device will be.
Blueair is a powerhouse in air purifier industry, marking of 20 years in this market. It is not a surprise if you have heard the well-known name of Blueair. Right now, the Blueair device that impresses us the most is the Blueair Classic 480i. Let’s look at the powerful air filtration of this machine:
- Particle/SmokeStop filter – You can choose from the Particle Filter with the power to capture 99.97% of pollutants such as pollen, dust, pet dander, mold spores, viruses and bacteria down to 0.1 microns. Otherwise, you can pay more for SmokeStop Filter, which is most likely the combination of True HEPA filter and Activated Carbon filter.
It is the 2019 trend that high-range air purifiers are using only one alone air filter. This all-in-one air filter will help the users install the air filter much easier. By combining both mechanical and electrostatic filtration, the Blueair Classic 480i has high efficiency against even the as small as 0.1 microns airborne particles. Moreover, with the SmokeStop air filter, made of magnesium dioxide and copper oxide impregnation, Blueair Classic 480i can adsorb most of the common gaseous pollutants like Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), traffic exhaust, smog, odors, and smoke.
The Blueair Classic 480i isn’t quite the air purifier that the Blueair Classic 605 is. It only has a moderate fan power to cover a room of 430 sq ft. However, the Blueair Classic 480i has one thing that its big brother doesn’t have – the Smart Sensor. With this built-in sensor, Blueair Classic 480i can detect even the slightest change in the indoor air quality, and then automatically adjust the fan power to match the environment.
Blueair not only focus on the performance of their air purifiers, but also improve the Smart features for their modern machines. Blueair Classic 480i makes use of a perfect Wi-Fi enabled connection. By downloading the Blueair Friend app and connecting it to the Classic 480i, you can control this air purifier using an Android or iOS smartphone. Moreover, Blueair Classic 480i can be used with Voice Control of Alexa.
If you want to put a stop to your allergies and asthma symptoms, this is one of the best deals you could get.
Here is the pros/cons of Blueair Classic 480i:
- World class performance rating
- Smart Features like Wi-Fi Connectivity or Smart Sensor
- Peak technology to reduce the noise level and maximize the air flow
- 5-year warranty
- The machine is big and heavy
- Quite noisy at the highest setting
Review: Blueair Classic 480i Review.
Related post: Best large room air purifiers.
In the Blueair Classic family, we will have air purifiers from all ranges of room coverage. The Blueair Classic 205 can cover only 280 sq ft. The Blueair Classic 405 is much of a downgraded version of this Blueair Classic 480i, is able to cover 430 sq ft. Finally, the Blueair Classic 605 is the flagship of this family, to cover a room of 700 sq ft.
Also, we are happy to show you the Blueair Sense+, an eye-catching expression of modern style. With the well-known technology of Blueair, you will have a Blueair Classic in a more modern design and smaller room coverage (186 sq ft).
8) Alen BreatheSmart 75i – Best for Customer ServicePreviously in our list: Alen BreatheSmart.
As the upgraded version of the last year’s best air purifier – the Alen BreatheSmart, the Alen BreatheSmart 75i is the best flagship of the Alen company, also earned the Consumer Digest’s Best Buy. Finally, we have a True HEPA air purifier from this brand, which is backed up by the lifetime warranty policy.
Fun facts: AlenCorp is the only company offering a lifetime warranty. Their motto is “put the customers first”.
Let’s see the 3-stage air cleaning system to meet your needs in the Alen BreatheSmart 75i:
- Pre-filter – A washable pre-filter to help capture the large objects of pollutants like dust, pet hair and pollen.
- True HEPA Filter – There are 4 types of True HEPA filter for you to choose from:
- Pure – The standard True HEPA filter of Alen BreatheSmart 75i, which is able to capture 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns pollutant particles such as dust, dust mites and pollen.
- Fresh – The next level HEPA filter will improve the first Pure, with an addition of Activated Carbon filter, to deal with the household odors and chemicals. This air filter is necessary for people who are sensitive to VOCs.
- Pet – Without the Activated Carbon filter, the Pet air filter uses the Alen’s patented Molecular Conversion Powder to ensure heavy pet odors are destroyed at a molecular level.
- Heavy Odor – Alen BreatheSmart 75i changed the Molecular Conversion Powder in the Pet air filter to make the new Heavy Odor filter, which can remove the household odors from smelly kids/teenagers, kitchen garbage, and other everyday activities.
- Ionizer – The ionizer is used to improve the efficiency of this Alen BreatheSmart 75i. Can be switched on/off.
The Alen BreatheSmart 75i was the first time the brand’s True HEPA air purifier was seen as a real rival to the Rabbit Air MinusA2. With 4 different types of True HEPA filter, Alen BreatheSmart 75i is ready to deal with any types of pollutant particles.
It has better fan power than every predecessor sharing its brand, with a large room coverage of 1300 sq ft. However, with the WhisperMax technology, Alen BreatheSmart 75i is undoubtedly quiet. This air purifier also generate soothing pink noise – a frequency proven to help you sleep 25% better. A great air purifier for bedroom, right?
The device is still an absolute looker with 15 panel color options including of white, blue, brushed bronze and stainless, black, rosewood, natural maple and more to match your personal style.
Finally, we still have the high-end Smart features in this air purifier, like Smart Sensor with a LED light indicator. It adjusts BreatheSmart 75i’s cleaning power to achieve the best air quality while saving energy and maximize filter life.
Here is the pros/cons of Alen BreatheSmart 75i:
- Customizable color options
- Great Air filtration process, with True HEPA filter
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- WhisperMax technology – better silence
- Lifetime warranty
- Customized color options
- Bigger than average air purifiers
- High-range cost
Review: Alen BreatheSmart 75i Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for office.
It is fair to say with around $700, Alen BreatheSmart 75i is the flagship of AlenCorp. If you can’t afford to pay for the True HEPA version of this brand, you can have a look for its predecessors. The Alen BreatheSmart and Alen BreatheSmart FIT50 don’t have the True HEPA filter, but are also capable of removing the impurities.
9) IQAir GC MultiGas – High-range representativePreviously in our list: IQAir GC MultiGas.
In this high-range segment, only the bulky machines which can cover a large area have a chance to compete in. IQAir is that giant, with the foundation to be 50 years ago, and one active partner of the American Lung Association.
Let’s look at the product IQAir proudly claim to be the #1 Air purifier for smoke, odors and MCS – IQAir GC MultiGas. This air purifier features four stages of superior filtration as below:
- HyperHEPA filter – The first stage of filtration features a powerful pre-filter, which can capture 99% of particles down to 0.3 microns, and 95% of particles as small as 0.003 microns.
- Cartridge-based activated carbon filter – Made with the highest quality ABS plastics, this filter can remove VOCs and odors effectively.
- Cartridge-based chemisorption – This stage destroys harmful chemicals, such as formaldehyde, by an oxidation process inside a chemically active alumina pellet.
- Post-filter sleeve – A post-filter sleeve wraps each gas cartridge to prevent media dust from being released.
Instead of trying to prolong the lifetime of True HEPA filter with a pre-filter, IQAir GC MultiGas implement the HyperHEPA technology to increase the particulate loading capacity by 13%. As a result, your air filter will run for a good one year.
Next, their two cartridge-based adsorptions are responsible for destroying any harmful chemicals in smoke. This process is backed up with an unique 3D UltraSeal no-leakage design to prevent air from escaping back into the room without being drawn through the GC MultiGas filters.
The bottom line is the most powerful, energy efficient New Edition fan. With an astonishing high CADR rating of 300 cfm and up to 776 cfm, IQAir GC MultiGas is a powerhouse in the area of 1125 sq ft. Moreover, the new fan design reduce the sound pressure, make this air purifier as quiet as possible.
As a high-end machine, IQAir GC MultiGas also has many smart features like Smart Sensor, intelligent filter life monitor, Advanced timer and Advanced fan speed selection. This air purifier can be controlled via a remote controller.
For the performance rating of IQAir GC MultiGas, there is no better test than how the IQAir president – Frank Hammes had stepped in a chamber with full of smoke within 10 minutes. We don’t dare to test it at home, and we warn you not to try this.
Here is the pros/cons of IQAir GC MultiGas:
- Perfect performance rating
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Remarkable Technology and Fan Power
- Smart Features like Smart Sensor
- Extra large room coverage: 1125 sq ft
- Impressive quiet
- Low power consumption
- 5-year warranty
- High-range cost
Review: IQAir GC MultiGas Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for smoke.
IQAir also features IQAir HealthPro Plus, the one they claim to be #1 air purifier for allergies and asthma. Instead of using an ABS cartridge to adsorb the chemicals and VOCs like GC MultiGas, IQAir HealthPro Plus purifies the air with a normal 3-layer filter. The difference is HealthPro Plus is using the next level of HyperHEPA filter to capture 99.97% of down to 0.3 microns, and 99.5% of 0.003 microns particles.
Meanwhile, IQAir Atem is one of the best personal air purifiers. This air purifier is small enough to fit in your carry-on, and has perfect size for your work space. If you are convinced by the high-range devices of IQAir, you should check the price right now.
10) Oransi EJ120 – The Women’s Health Editor’s Choice in 2019Previously in our list: Oransi Erik 650A.
As the last candidate in our list of best air purifiers in 2019, Oransi EJ120 is the latest air purifier of Oransi – the official air purifier brand for many important universities and clinics in all over the U.S, as well as the top partner of the American Red Cross. CNN stated this air purifier as the Tesla of air purifiers, directly indicating the top-notch performance of Oransi EJ120 in cleaning air.
- Pre-filter – An 1-inch deep pleated Activated Carbon filter is acted as a pre-filter. It is effective for removing the smoke, household odor, chemical and VOCs. You can buy another pre-filter to help the Activated Carbon filter, especially when you live in a high dust environment.
- True HEPA Filter – A 3-inch deep main HEPA filter which can remove 99.97% of all particles as small as 0.3 microns.
The Oransi EJ120 uses a Medical-grade True HEPA filter, which is as large as 36 sq ft. This is exactly the same industrial filter that is trusted by hospitals, that is capable of trapping of dealing with 99.97% of any allergens as small as 0.3 microns. Also, Oransi improved the carbon filter to have 50% more carbon surface area to better remove all gases. It can remove more than 99% of all formaldehyde, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide after 48 hours.
As the Women’s Health Editor’s Choice in 2019, Oransi EJ120 is not only just the high-quality air filter, but it also has fantastic fan power. With AHAM verified room coverage of 1250 sq ft, this is exactly the air purifier you need for your large room.
Beside that, the American company has improved their German engineered EC motor, so the Oransi EJ120 will be the best silent air purifier. Oransi EJ120 even has lower noise level than our today champion – the Rabbit Air MinusA2, and if it is not for the price, we will be happy to move it to the top 1 of best air purifiers list.
Here is the pros/cons of Oransi EJ120:
- Top-notch performance rating
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Remarkable Technology and Fan Power
- Impressive quiet
- 10-year warranty
- No Smart Sensor
- High-range cost
Review: Oransi EJ120 Review.
Also from this brand, we have the former winner of the best air purifier list – the Oransi Erik 650A, which is a bigger version of our Oransi EJ120. It has better fan power and stronger performance, but also double the price of our selection, and therefore can’t be nominated again.
As the best rated air purifier from both the Clemson University and Dr. Bob Martin, the Oransi Max is at the moment the most popular air purifier from this brand. It is also featured in many lists of Breathe Quality’s best air purifiers. For the budget devices, you can search for the Oransi Finn and Oransi OV200, but let us test them first so you will make your decision better.
Buying Guide for Best Air Purifier in 2019
Above is a complete list of the top 10 air purifiers in 2019 that are the most outsell in the market. This guarantees that no matter which one you choose in this top 10, you’ll enjoy a really great long-term investment for your health. If you are still uncertain of why you should have an air purifier, you should have known Air pollution is dangerously high for almost half of the US. Yes, we are not safe as you think.
Now, you should have read our complete best air purifier’s buying guide to better prepare before giving decisions. You’ll see, we’ve done everything to make sure you don’t make any mistakes.
We hope that this list of the best air purifiers has been a valuable guide for you to help you make a good buying decision.
Here is a buying guide for you to choose the right air purifier:
Choosing the right filter types
The classic Air purifier comes with a HEPA filter. Some may have other filters for specific needs, here are the terminology and definitions:
Pre-filter – An essential feature of air purifiers that use a HEPA style filter. The pre-filter captures the large dust and pet dander to help prolong the lifetime of the main filter. Most pre-filters are washable and reusable and last a lifetime.
True HEPA Filter – This is the highest standard air filter you can get for a best air purifier. In order to carry this label, the filter must meet strict regulations set by the United States Department of Energy (DOE) and capture at least 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns. A true HEPA filter needs to be replaced after 6 months to 1 year, and you should use the suitable replacement for your air purifiers.
Activated Carbon (or Charcoal) Filter – This filter can adsorb odorous particles and gases. That’s why it can remove the smells produced by smoke, pets, cooking, chemicals, etc.
Ionic Filter (or Ionizer) – This filter emits negative ions to charge small particles like dust, pollen and bacteria and collect them into a plate.
UV-C Light – The Ultra Violet light destroy bacteria and virus by sterilizing them. The UV-C Light (UV Light type C) is harmless to human.
Advanced BioGS HEPA Filter – A technology from Rabbit Air, to help prolong the life of the main True HEPA filter.
Permanent HEPA Filter – A technology from Hamilton Beach, to make their HEPA-type filter be cleaned by vacuum, therefore you don’t need to replace their HEPA filter.
HEPA-type Filter – This filter is a lower quality version of a True HEPA filter and doesn’t meet the standards set in place by the U.S. DOE mentioned above.
Choosing the right size air purifier
It is highly recommended to check your air purifier’s size and room capability. The size of an air purifier is varied, and if you do not have room for your new air purifier, it would be a disaster.
Room capability, or how well your air purifier can cover is also a crucial factor. You know, air purifier is not an one size fit all machine. Most air purifier is designed for a small room of 100 to 400 sq ft. For a larger room, you will need an additional air purifier or larger coverage one. Otherwise your air purifier will not meet your demands, and cost you much more energy than normal.
Knowing some terminology in air purifier
ACH Stands for “Air Changes Per Hour”
The ACH rating, stands for Air Changes per Hour, tells you how many times the device can exchange the air within a room with clean, fresh air every hour. For example, 4X means the device cleans air four times per hour.
Common ACH ratings in best air purifier you’ll see are 4x, 5x, 6x, etc
Remember that the advertised ACH for air purifier is normally when you use the maximum fan speed.
CADR Stands for “Clean Air Delivery Rate”
Developer by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM), CADR, stands for Clean Air Delivery Rate, tells exactly how well an air purifier can clean the air within a particular size room.
For example, an air purifier with a CADR like this: dust/500 cfm, pollen/640 cfm, and smoke/500 cfm (or 500 Dust/500 Smoke/640 Pollen) will normally have a coverage from 700 to 800 sq ft.
Knowing your problems and how air purifier fix them
1, To help with your allergies
Each year, about 2000 people are diagnosed with nasal cavity in the United States. Airborne allergens wreak havoc on the immune system and cause many unpleasant symptoms like eye irritation, coughing, sneezing, painful headaches and more.
True HEPA filter air purifiers are the best one for you. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for allergies List.
2, To reduce asthma
One again, you should aim at True HEPA Filter. If you have problem with ion, stop using your Ionizer filter immediately. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for asthma List.
3, To prevent dust
For better air purifier’s filter life, you should use the one with pre-filter. Air purifier with a HEPA filter will help prevent dust as much as possible. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for dust List.
4, To trap pet hair and dander
All of HEPA air purifiers (especially True HEPA ones) can capture pet hair and dander with no difficulty. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for pets List.
5, To remove smoke and odors
You must look for an Activated Carbon filter (or Charcoal filter) to help remove all the smokes and smells. Find the best ones in Best air purifier for smoke List.
We hope you have found your best air purifier right now. Thank you for reading.
Rating Breathe Quality
- Average ratings for this post