Our cities’ air is getting increasingly unbreathable as pollution levels rise. This not only affects our lungs, throat, intestines, and eyes, but it also has a number of effects on our skin, including dry and itchy skin, premature skin aging, eczema, etc.
We have to spend a lot of money to fix it. In 2018, 1.6 million US citizens spent $2,000 or more on skin care products alone. Unfortunately, the result isn’t always what we expect.
Keeping our windows open and having good ventilation throughout the house is not enough. The polluted air outside may actually increase the risk of sickness. Hence, if you have chronic skin irritation or are stressed out by the impending bags under your eyes, you might think about having an indoor air purifier.
So, here’s the classic question that we’ve all been asked a million times. Can an air purifier help with skin allergies and eczema? Here at Breathe Quality, we give you the most honest answer.
What causes skin allergies?
The major reasons for your skin problems are genetic, diet, and indoor air quality. Most individuals are aware of dietary and vaccination issues, but not of their immediate surroundings. Indoor contaminants are a major concern in cities, yet most people ignore them. Smoking, cooking, and home pollutants that damage our skin are common triggers. Direct contact with airborne allergens such as germs, fungus, parasites, or dust mites is another cause. Pimples and blackheads are two symptoms that our skin is infected with germs. When your skin is parched from all the obstruction, whatever skincare you use will be ineffective. Your skin will not properly absorb the necessary vitamins and minerals.
Do air purifiers dry out the skin?
No. Air purifiers do not dry out the air in your home or your skin, unless your air purifier includes a dehumidifier feature. Air purifiers are solely intended to filter pollutants and extra dust, pollen, pet dander, and other harmful contaminants from the air. It doesn’t affect the moisture in your indoor air.
Furthermore, even people with oily skin may benefit since less dust and dirt particles will attach to their faces, reducing the probability of outbreaks.
Does air purifier help with skin?
Of course! Air purifiers filter pollutants such as dust, pollen, pet dander, etc. from your indoor air so that fewer dust and dirt particles can lay on your skin. This helps your skin breathe easier and become healthier. The following are some of the skin benefits of air purifiers:
- Air purifier reduces skin irritation and redness: Do you frequently wake up with an itchy or red face in the morning? Dirty pillowcases or bedding might be the source of the problem. However, it might also be due to the pollutants and allergens in the air, which bother your skin all night. Using an air purifier, especially when you are sleeping, is the most effective technique to heal your skin and eliminate redness.
- Air purifier reduces acne problems: Everyone is aware that touching your face frequently might result in breakouts and skin inflammation due to debris on your hands. However, it is often forgotten that unclean air may have the same effect on your skin. Your facial skin, in particular, is more sensitive than the skin on the rest of your body. Running an air purifier will remove dust and bacteria from your surrounding air, so you will have fewer acne outbreaks and will be able to wake up with clear, smooth skin every day.
- Air purifier helps to reduce rashes and skin diseases: Airborne pollen and bacteria cause skin rashes and illnesses such as eczema, hives, and angioedema. Constant exposure to dust can also cause skin rashes and irritation. Under the protection of an air purifier, clean air will help you avoid these skin illnesses.
- Air purifier prevents dryness and gives you smooth skin: Air conditioners frequently dehydrate the air in our homes and workplaces. This not only makes breathing difficult, but it also dries out our skin. An air purifier not only cleans the air but also retains air moisture. You will not only breathe better, but your skin will also remain moisturized and smooth throughout the day.
- Air purifier reduces skin aging: Many people are unaware that air contaminants may be as damaging to the skin as UV rays. Toxins in the air have an impact on collagen creation and cell upkeep in your skin. This results in wrinkles and sagging skin. Toxins are kept out of the air by using an air purifier, which also helps to slow premature skin aging.
- Air purifier improves sleep quality: A good night’s sleep is critical for overall health and excellent skin. Too frequently, we cannot sleep easily because of sinus irritations, breathing issues, and congestion, all of which are caused by the dirty air we breathe. Not enough or poor-quality sleep alters the PH balance of the skin, making it dry. This causes our skin to seem drab. For people with sensitive skin, a lack of sleep can also cause redness and irritation. Since air pollutants don’t bother you while you sleep, using an air purifier improves the condition of your skin.
Does air purifier help with dry skin?
Not directly, since running an air purifier doesn’t affect the overall moisture in your room unless it has a built-in humidifier feature. However, air purifiers provide better air circulation with cleaner air, which helps retain indoor moisture, especially if you regularly spend time in a room with air conditioning. This can help reduce inflammation and irritation, which contribute to dry skin as well as worsen its symptoms.
In addition, because an air purifier eliminates your surrounding germs, giving your skin a better environment to breathe, breakouts and pimples will heal quicker. Skincare items such as moisturizing lotion will produce greater results when used.
Does air purifier help with oily skin?
Yes. People with oily skin can actually benefit from an air purifier since it will eliminate all harmful pollutants inside your house, even the tiny ones hiding in your pillows and bedsheets. Less dust and dirt particles will attach to their face, reducing the probability of acne outbreaks.
Does air purifier help with itchy skin?
Yes. Because there are fewer indoor pollutants causing skin irritation, your skin will not flare up, and there will be no redness or itching. Without the rashes, you will have less of an impulse to scratch your skin, resulting in reduced contact with hand bacteria.
Also, pollen is harmful to those who suffer from skin allergies. Air purifiers are designed to capture these particles before they even reach your skin.
When should I use air purifier to maintain healthy skin?
Air purifiers are intended to be used 24/7 since excellent air quality is not confined to the day or night. Some high-quality air purifiers include an integrated sensor that regulates the fan speed to save energy and control your electricity consumption, even when in use all day.
In fact, the best time to use an air purifier to improve your skin is while you sleep at night. Because skin cell turnover and regeneration occur during the night, it is the ideal time to let your skin enjoy fresh, clean air without harmful pollutants that may disrupt its healing process. Because you’ll be spending most of your sleeping time in your bedroom, this is the ideal location for your air purifier for the best skin outcomes.
Is air purifier good for eczema?
Eczema, often known as dermatitis, is a persistent skin illness that can often be recognized by cracked, scaly, red, puffy, and itchy skin. The causes of eczema are mainly sensitive skin, excessive scratching, foods we eat, and inadequate air circulation.
While eczema affects everyone differently, inadequate air circulation is often the main cause. Eczema is more common in the winter and fall when the air is drier than normal.
Eczema symptoms can be alleviated by using an air purifier. Because allergens in the air usually trigger eczema, air purifiers keep it under control by eliminating these harmful airborne particles.
You can vacuum and clean your home regularly in an attempt to avoid or reduce eczema flare-ups, but you won’t be able to entirely remove all contaminants from the air. Air purifiers may be able to do the job better and spread clean air around your home.
Air purifiers can also help you get rid of rashes on your skin. You won’t scratch your skin if you don’t have rashes, so you’ll have fewer chances of accidentally aggravating your skin’s condition.
List of the best air purifiers
- 1, Best Air Purifier (Air Purifier Ranking List)
- 2, Best Air Purifiers for Allergies
- 3, Best Air Purifiers for Bedroom
- 4, Best Air Purifiers for Baby
- 5, Best Air Purifiers for Smoke
- 6, Best Air Purifiers for Dust
- 7, Best Air Purifiers for Mold
- 8, Best Large Room Air Purifiers
- 9, Best Air Purifiers for Pets
- 10, Best Air Purifiers for Office
What is the best air purifier for skin and eczema?
Any air purifier that helps to remove unwanted and dangerous particles from the air can benefit skin health, which means most air purifiers will do. However, using a HEPA air purifier will help you attain your goals more efficiently.
HEPA is short for “High Efficiency Particulate Air.” Air purifiers with HEPA filtration are equipped with thick, high-quality filters that are incredibly efficient at catching even the smallest particles of everything that is likely to be present in your house and might harm your health and skin. In order to obtain a HEPA label, air purifiers must fulfill the US Department of Energy’s criteria. However, you should be aware that any product labeled “HEPA-type” is not a real HEPA-certified air purifier and may be less effective.