If you or anyone in your home is a smoker, you may repeatedly ask this question “How to eliminate smoke in your house“. And it is not just the cigarette smoke, you also face the problem of secondhand smoke and cooking smoke. These things are number one cancer killer in your home. Other health problems the smoke may cause are asthma attack, allergies and emphysema.
In an attempt to reduce the amount of tobacco smoke in your house, Breathe Quality will introduce the air purifier – the most powerful and effective device to help you combat with not only smoke and smell, but ideally any contaminant parts of your indoor air quality.
Related post: Best Air Purifiers for Smoke.
If you have any question like “Do air purifiers help with smoke?”, just kindly read our article.
Note: If you need answer for common question of air purifier, please read our air purifier FAQs.
Why smoking is bad?
Tobacco smoke is made up of gaseous toxic compounds which are called by one name – volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These bad things is dangerous and causes a wide range of health problems for both adults and children. Study researched that one in every two smokers died from smoking-related diseases.
Here are the very little examples of how bad smoking is to your health.
For blood circulation, the poisons from the tar in your cigarettes can increase your blood pressure and heart rate. Also, with the many toxic chemical compounds in smoke, smoking may narrow your arteries and reduce the amount of oxygen. With less oxygen, you may suffer from heart attack.
For brain, smoking is more likely to give you a stroke. The most dangerous health problems are brain damage and death.
For lungs, smoking is the worst killer. Start with the coughs, wheezing, and asthma attack, smoking can cause fatal diseases such as emphysema and lungs cancer.
For skin, smoking reduces the amount of oxygen to your skin. This means your skin ages more quickly and looks grey and dull when you smoke.
For mouth, smoking will cause bad smell breath and stained teeth. Also, if you continue to smoke, it will damage your sense of taste, and even cause cancer.
All of these above facts can’t make you stop smoking? At least, you should think for your children, or other members in your family. If you can’t (we don’t judge you), you should use an air purifier to help remove the smoke, and as a result, give back the clean air for your family.
Do air purifiers help with smoke?
To help with smoke, an air purifier must eliminate both the airborne particles that can form the visible smoke and the microscopic particles in the odors. An air purifier can help combat with smoke ONLY when it has these two parts:
- A True HEPA filter system, which removes 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns. This includes lots of pollutant particles in visible smoke. Though powerful, not all of the True HEPA filters in the market can be effective against VOCs or toxic gases.
- An Activated Carbon Filter, which adsorbs the smoke odor. It can also eliminate the VOCs and toxic gases without any problems.
Here are some things you should consider when using an air purifier for smoke:
- Pre-filter and Medium-size filter will help reduce the large portion of smoke’s toxic compounds. These filters are normally washable, which help increase the lifetime of your True HEPA filter.
- True HEPA filter is certified to capture 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns particles of pollutants. If the filter doesn’t meet this requirement (being HEPA-type or HEPA-like filter), it wouldn’t be able to help you from some VOCs or small bacteria.
- Activated Carbon Filter is a unique filter that are made up of a special type of activated carbon (charcoal). With these ultra-fine pores, this filter can adsorb the gaseous cigarette smoke. This absorption is an adhesion of molecules which change gas state into a solid surface. Once adsorbed, the scent of smoke dissipates because it’s not released back into the air.
- UV Light filter, no matter how useful to kill viruses and bacteria, are not effective against any of the harmful compounds in tobacco smoke.
- Ionizer works great like True HEPA filter in reducing the pollutant particles, with the technology to emit a cloud of negatively charged ions into the air. These ions will attract pollutant particles to fall down on nearby surfaces. However, you must check if your ionizer create high level of ozone or not, because ozone is one cause of asthma attack.
List of best air purifiers in 2021
- 1, Best Air Purifiers (2021 version)
- 2, Best Air Purifiers for Allergies and Asthma
- 3, Best Air Purifiers for Bedroom
- 4, Best Air Purifiers for Baby
- 5, Best Air Purifiers for Smoke
- 6, Best Air Purifiers for Dust
- 7, Best Air Purifiers for Mold
- 8, Best Large Room Air Purifiers
- 9, Best Air Purifiers for Pets
- 10, Best Air Purifiers for Office
Rating Breathe Quality
- Average ratings for this post