If you are here, I guess that you want to find out the best air purifiers for smoke for your house. It is also your top priority to search for an air purifier that will eliminate cigarette smoke and cigar odor. This air purifier must remove both smoke and its odor. The following are the most often encountered issues:
- You (or your family members) are a regular smoker.
- You are fed up with the smell of cigarette smoke, cigar odor or cooking smells.
- You are in the area with long exposure to the wildfire smoke, and you need a solution to end the misery.
It’s time to get rid of smoke inside your home in the most effective way. Let’s find the best air purifier for smoke in 2022.
UPDATED: We have updated our list of best air purifiers for smoke (cigarette smoke and cigar odor) on 12/11/2021. This is a BIG UPDATE, with a lot of ins and outs of many air purifiers. In Breathe Quality, we keep updating our posts whenever possible, and this update is the result of a 6-month consecutive experiment in our labs, so we can make sure that you will get the right air purifier for your cigarette smoke and odor.
Our next update will be set for 3-6 months later, depending on the release of new products from the well-known air purifier brands. However, you don’t need to wait, because the air purifier market will never change so quickly.
Let’s not waste countless hours of searching through any others of websites just to find the top rated air purifiers that fit your specific needs. Because in Breathe Quality:
- We do give honest reviews (both pros and cons) and a base comparison for all the air purifiers so anyone will guarantee to have the wisest choices.
- We do not (and we never) exaggerate one product just to let you click the links and buy that product blindly.
- Air purifiers are for everyone. Believing that, we will give you the best air purifiers from low-range to high-range. To know the exact price of your air purifier, make sure to hit the Check price button.
It is difficult for anyone to give up smoking. Buying the best air purifier for smoke in 2022 is clearly the most efficient way to help you eliminate the smoke and smell at the moment. The Breathe Quality has tested and considered many of the top air purifiers up until now, and here are our absolute favorites.
BASE COMPARISON TABLE OF BEST AIR PURIFIERS FOR SMOKE IN 2022
This Comparison Table of the Top 10 Best Air Purifiers for Smoke (Cigarette Smoke, Cigar Odor, and Cooking Smell) in 2022 will assist you in quickly reviewing our selection of the Top 10 Best Air Purifiers for Smoke (Cigarette Smoke, Cigar Odor, and Cooking Smell). The comparative element in this table is the air purifier’s filter type, which should include an Activated Carbon filter and True HEPA filter. We also give the most concerned factors as the Room Coverage, and links to the filter replacements.
Bear in mind that you should read the comparison table’s reviews. We will share all of our information about the advantages and disadvantages of each air purifier to help you understand why we selected these 10 as the best air purifiers for smoke in 2022.
TOP 10 BEST AIR PURIFIERS FOR SMOKE in 2022
1) Dyson TP04 – Our Readers’ Most Pick in 2022 for Smoke and OdorsPreviously in our list: Blueair Classic 605.
If you are a Dyson fan but can’t stretch financially to the Cryptomic technology awesomeness that is the Dyson TP06, the Dyson TP04 makes a compelling argument as a less expensive option – and its mix of power and affordability convinces us (and the majority of our readers) that it’s the best air purifier for smoke in 2022.
Dyson TP04 is a high-performance air purifier with only one filter. The primary Glass HEPA filter collects 99.97 percent of minuscule allergens and pollutants as small as 0.3 microns, while the Activated Carbon filter removes gases and smoke. This air purifier is ideal for removing the majority of pollutant particles found in hazardous smoke, since the carbon filter is comprised of tris-impregnated carbon granules — a type of carbon that is highly effective at adsorbing smoke, smells, and even chemicals.
The Dyson TP04 packs and projects tremendous airflow, since it is manufactured by one of the world’s most renowned brands of fan power. Its patented Air Multiplier technology enables the air purifier to function similarly to a fan, delivering over 77 gallons of cleansed air each second. As a result, the Dyson TP04 has a CADR rating of up to 920 cfm. Additionally, you may utilize the oscillation setting to control how well the air purifier filters the air throughout the room.
It is a well-equipped and extremely well-made air purifier with an innovative laser air sensor on the whole. The Dyson TP04 is capable of detecting not just smoke and other particles smaller than 0.3 microns, but also formaldehyde, benzene, nitrogen dioxide, and other Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). If the Dyson TP04 detects smoke, it will automatically adjust the fan speed to the correct setting in less than 20 seconds.
Here is the pros/cons of Dyson TP04:
- World class performance rating
- Excellent air flow with exclusive fan features
- High-end features
- Unique and special design
- Very noisy on highest speed
Review: Dyson TP04 Review.
Related post: Best air purifier 2022.
2) Levoit Core 300 – The Only Personal Air Purifier You Need for Smoke and Odors
The Levoit Core 300 has a lot to recommend it, and shows Levoit really getting into their stride. It’s not the best air purifier the company has ever made out there, but this is the only personal air purifier you will need for any smoke and odor problems.
This Levoit Core 300 delivers the common 3-stage air filtration system like any other Levoit devices. The system can be classic, but it is certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for being safe to use.
- Pre-filter – This nylon pre-filter is able to capture large particles such as dust, lint, fibers, hair, and pet fur. You need to clean by vacuum this filter regularly because it is only effective for a short time.
- True HEPA filter – Levoit Core 300 uses a True HEPA Filter to reduce 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, and bacteria particles. It is attached with a customized Toxin Absorber layer, to help remove smoke, smog and VOCs more effectively.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This Activated Carbon filter tackles smoke and odors from the kitchen, your pets, or even the outdoors.
With other top air purifiers for smoking starting at significantly higher prices, you can notice the pricing discrepancy between the Levoit Core 300 and the competition. However, for a cheap personal air purifier, the Levoit Core 300 is equipped with everything necessary to eliminate smoke and smells. A H13 True HEPA filter in conjunction with granular Activated Carbon of the highest quality is designed to remove automobile exhaust, toxic gas from air pollution, cigarette smoke, and wildfire smoke.
Moreover, for any air purifiers under $100, this is the best air purifier you can get. Levoit Core 300 can cover a room of 215 square feet, with high CADR rating of 140 Dust/ 145 Smoke/ 141 Pollen (cfm). The air purifier can clean your room five times an hour within the recommended room size.
Given the Levoit Core 300’s low price, it lacks an air sensor. However, you should not be disappointed, since any inexpensive air sensor is simply an LED sensor, which performs at a fraction of the speed of a high-end laser sensor.
Here is the pros/cons of Levoit Core 300:
- Highest fan power for under $100
- Unique air filter customization for smoke
- Very quiet operation
- Sleek and compact design
- No Smart Sensor
- Only 2-year warranty
Review: Levoit Core 300 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for bedroom.
3) Winix 5500-2 – Great Budget Air Purifier for Smoke and OdorPreviously in our list: Winix 5500-2.
Despite its origins in Korea, the Winix name is even more well-known than a number of native American air purifier brands. Their air purifiers are primarily aimed at the low-end market, with a reasonable fan power and an impressive air filtering procedure. The Winix 5500-2 is the best air purifier for smoke you could get for under $200.
For your money, you will get an incredible 3-stage air cleaning system from the Winix 5500-2 as below.
- Pre-filter – A washable pre-filter will help you capture the large particles of contaminants, from pet hair, pet dander, dust and pollen. It is attached with an Activated Carbon Filter which is made of high-grade granular activated carbon. As a result, the Advanced Odor Control Carbon filter is 93% effective against all types of smoke, odors and VOCs.
- True HEPA filter – The True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of down to 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
- Winix PlasmaWave – This technology is one kind of ionizer, which can further reduce the amount of pollutants. Can be switched on/off.
Under the hood, the Winix 5500-2 has some impressive specifications. The most significant feature is the combination of True HEPA and PlasmaWave technology, which assures superior performance against all types of contaminants. As the finest budget air purifier for cigarette and cigar odor, the Winix 5500-2 utilizes a high-quality Advanced Odor Control Carbon filter to effectively remove smoke. Yes, you will instantly see the smoke dissipate.
While the Winix 5500-2 is a low-range device, it includes an extremely precise odor sensor that detects the air quality and adjusts the fan speed to meet the surroundings. Indeed, many inexpensive air purifiers just have a dust sensor, making the odor sensor on the Winix 5500-2 genuinely unique. It aides in the detection of smoke and odors much more easily and precisely.
The room coverage of this Winix 5500-2 is one of the best you can find on an affordable device, up to 360 square feet. The CADR rating is 243 Dust/ 232 Smoke/ 246 Pollen (cfm), which can match even devices with double the price point.
Here is the pros/cons of Winix 5500-2:
- Fantastic performance rating
- Unique powerful and safe PlasmaWave Technology
- Smart features like Smart Sensor
- Very quiet
- High power consumption
- High annual filter cost
Review: Winix 5500-2 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for pets.
4) Levoit LV-H134 – The Best Way to Avoid the Smoke and OdorsPreviously in our list: Sharp FP-A80UW.
Levoit has built another best air purifier for smoke you can get, but this time you will get a mid-range level of air purification, as well as a lot of high-end features for an affordable price. This is the Levoit LV-H134 – the current flagship air purifier of this American company.
Without looking at the price, you’d weigh up the Levoit LV-H134 and say it’s one of the best air purifier of the year – it’s a massive machine with outstanding performance, the stats are all pleasingly powerful, and the silent operation remains the Levoit air purifier’s selling feature. When you factor in the inexpensive price tag, the air purifier becomes a very attractive proposition.
Yes, just like the Levoit Core 300, the flagship of this company has a 3-stage air cleaning system, with both True HEPA filter and an advanced Activated Carbon filter. The filter contains a huge amount of high-grade granular carbon filter, to ensure the adsorption for any smoke, odors from pets, cooking, and wildfire smoke.
The Levoit LV-H134 can clean a 710-square-foot room in just 18 minutes and with a large CADR rating of 312 cfm. If you’re searching for a big room air purifier, the Levoit LV-H134 is a good choice.
The best part? The Levoit LV-H134 has a cutting edge laser sensor behind the common dust sensor, to detect any smoke particulates and report back to the air purifier within 30 seconds. This air purifier will react to even the smallest changes in the quality of the indoor air.
Here is the pros/cons of Levoit LV-H134:
- Solid performance
- High fan power for lower price
- More accurate Smart Sensor
- Powerful yet elegant design, with enough mobility
- Noisy on highest speed
Review: Levoit LV-H134 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for allergies.
5) Medify MA-40 – One of the Air Purifiers of the Year for SmokePreviously in our list: Airdog X5.
As a young company, Medify Air is truly impressive with a wide range of air purifier products for many different price points. The Medify MA-40 is currently the most popular air purifier of this company, balancing both performance and price. It sits below the expensive Medify MA-112 in the current Medify lineup, but it matches most of the strengths from its bigger brother.
Being the top product of this lineup, the Medify MA-40 makes use of the most powerful 4-stage air cleaning system.
- Pre-filter – A layer of pre-filter covers the True HEPA filter, to prolong the life time of the core filter, by trapping the large objects of pollutants like fur, hair and large dust.
- True HEPA filter – The True HEPA Filter (graded H13) that captures 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and smoke particles.
- Activated Carbon filter – Uses substantial carbon filter with carbon pellets to remove toxic odors and formaldehyde.
- Ionizer – Produces negative ions to charge particles and trap them inside the unit. Can be switched on/off.
Medify MA-40 features a substantial Activated Carbon filter that effectively eliminates not just smoke, but also hazardous smells and chemicals. According to the firm, the H13 True HEPA filter readily traps both ordinary and cigarette smoke. Additionally, this air purifier has an ionizer to rid dirty air of any unpleasant odors.
The air purifier is rated by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) for CADR rating of 186 Dust/ 206 Smoke/ 246 Pollen (cfm). It is capable of covering any room size at 400 square feet.
However, the Medify MA-40 only has a PM 2.5 sensor, so it can detect smoke, but it can’t track the odors. Still, if you worry about the common cigarette smoke or wildfire smoke, the air purifier will react immediately to these pollutants.
Here is the pros/cons of Medify MA-40:
- High-quality HEPA filter
- Accurate Smart Sensor
- Lifetime warranty
- Comes with Filter Club subscription
- A bit lower fan power in price range
- Annual filter cost is high
Review: Medify MA-40 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for mold.
6) Blue Pure 121 – A Great Capable, Simple-to-use Air PurifierPreviously in our list: Blue Pure 121.
Staying as the entry-level at mid-range air purifier market, the Blue Pure 121 is a phenomenon, with such strong fan power that even matches the at least $700 air purifiers. For the best air purifier for smoke, the fan power is the top priority factor to check. Therefore, if you have more budget to pay for, you should not miss this air purifier.
As the flagship of Blueair Blue family, the Blue Pure 121 delivers the unique 3-stage air cleaning system as below.
- Pre-filter – The fabric pre-filter of Blue Pure 121 is outside the air purifier and can catch the large particles. This pre-filter is washable or vacuumable.
- Particle filter – Instead of using a True HEPA filter, Blue Pure 121 uses a polypropylene fibers filter to help capture 99% of all allergens like dust, dust mites, pet dander, pollen and fungi (HEPA technology).
- Activated Carbon Filter – The Activated Carbon filter is added inside the Particle filter and effective against smoke, odors, gases and VOCs.
There is nothing special in the air filtration system, as Blue Pure 121 uses a Particle filter, which combines both mechanical and electrostatic filters to deal with most of the airborne contaminants. Inside this Particle filter, Blue Pure 121 makes use of an Activated Carbon filter that weighs 3 lbs. So to say, with a Blue Pure 121 in your home, you will never have to stand the smoke and odors anymore.
This air purifier may be the most ease of use air purifier you can have. It operates with only one button. Press it on, and you can enjoy the fresh air.
Like we said earlier, the reason this Blue Pure 121 is one of the best air purifiers for smoke is thanks to its powerful fan. With the CADR rating of 400 cfm, and 5X ACH, you will hardly see the smoke in your indoor air for seconds. This air purifier can clean a room of up to 620 square feet.
Here is the pros/cons of Blue Pure 121:
- High-quality performance
- Ease of use
- Very quiet
- 5-year warranty
- No air sensor
Review: Blue Pure 121 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for dust removal.
7) Alen BreatheSmart 75i – Great Customer Service for a Lifetime productPreviously in our list: Alen BreatheSmart 45i.
You can say goodbye to the smoke problems for the lifetime, as all air purifiers of Alen are backed up by a Forever Warranty, to commit that you will have a device that can clean your air forever. The Alen BreatheSmart 75i is the latest device of Alen’s lineup, with a customized air filter to clean all smoke and odors out of your home.
Again, we have a 3-stage air cleaning system in this Alen BreatheSmart 75i.
- Pre-filter – A washable pre-filter to help capture the large objects of pollutants like dust, pet hair and pollen.
- True HEPA Filter – There are 4 types of True HEPA filter for you to choose from:
- Pure – The standard True HEPA filter of Alen BreatheSmart 75i, which is able to capture 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns pollutant particles such as dust, dust mites and pollen.
- Fresh – The next level HEPA filter will improve the first Pure, with the addition of Activated Carbon filter, to deal with the household odors and chemicals. This air filter is necessary for people who are sensitive to VOCs.
- Pet – Without the Activated Carbon filter, the Pet air filter uses the Alen’s patented Molecular Conversion Powder to ensure heavy pet odors are destroyed at a molecular level.
- Heavy Odor – Alen BreatheSmart 75i changed the Molecular Conversion Powder in the Pet air filter to make the new Heavy Odor filter, which can remove the household odors from smelly kids/teenagers, kitchen garbage, and other everyday activities.
- Ionizer – The ionizer is used to improve the efficiency of this Alen BreatheSmart 75i. Can be switched on/off.
Both the HEPA-Fresh and HEPA-Heavy Odor are really powerful against all types of smoke and odors you have trouble with. When you see the smoke and odor is cleared after just 30 minutes, you will know that you have a good investment. Please note that the air filter of Alen BreatheSmart 75i is a True HEPA filter, so it can capture any smoke particles as small as 0.3 microns.
Talking about the fan power of the Alen BreatheSmart 75i, it has a large room coverage of 1300 square feet. The only downside is its low CADR rating, which results in taking longer time to clean your large room.
Just like most high-end air purifiers in the market, Alen BreatheSmart 75i has a Smart Sensor, detects the actual air quality in your room and changes the fan speed of the air purifier to meet the air quality’s need.
Here is the pros/cons of Alen BreatheSmart 75i:
- Excellent performance
- Large room coverage
- Very quiet
- Low power consumption
- Lifetime Warranty
- Still low CADR for room coverage
Review: Alen BreatheSmart 75i Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for baby.
8) Austin Air HealthMate Plus (HM450) – Best Medical Grade Air Filtration for SmokerPreviously in our list: Austin Air HealthMate Plus.
Proud to be chosen by the U.S government, all products made by this well-known Austin Air brand are tested carefully before launching to the market. As one of the few medical-grade air purifiers in the world, let’s see how Austin Air HealthMate Plus dares to claim the title of “The only Clinically Proven, Medical Grade Air Purifier”.
Austin Air HealthMate Plus have the most formidable 4-stage air filtration system like this.
- Pre-filter – To remove any large objects of pollutant particles like pet hair, human hair or large dust. This pre-filter is washable and permanent.
- Medium Particle Pre-filter – Adds a layer of filtration to double the removal of molds, spores and pollen from the air.
- Activated Carbon filter – A powerful Activated Carbon, Potassium Iodide Impregnated Carbon and Zeolite to help remove VOCs, formaldehyde, benzenes, chemicals, gases and odors.
- True HEPA filter – With double the pre-filter, the True HEPA filter will only need to capture the tiniest particles. This medical-grade True HEPA filter can capture 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
With a 60-sq-ft of True HEPA filter and double the pre-filter, it is hard to go wrong with the Austin Air HealthMate Plus. It is capable of cleaning the air through even the tiniest particles down to 0.1 microns in size. In terms of the sheer power, we believe that the Austin Air HealthMate Plus is definitely one of the best air purifiers in the world.
Most importantly, the advantages of Austin Air Healthmate Plus is within its Activated Carbon filter. With 15 lbs of granule carbon filter, this air purifier can easily adsorb smoke chemicals and odors. In 2016, this Austin Air HealthMate Plus is widely used to help protect thousands of residents of California against the effects of the natural gas leak. As you can see, the power of this air purifier against smoke is undeniable.
Also, this air purifier is great with the 360° air intake to help increase the efficiency of purifying polluted air. Last but not least, the room coverage of Austin Air HealthMate Plus is 1500 square feet, and the CADR rating is 400 cfm. With such fan power, you will no longer live in smoke and odors for sure.
Here is the pros/cons of Austin Air HealthMate Plus:
- Extra-large room coverage
- Impressive fan power
- Top-notch performance rating and Air filtration process
- 360° Air intake, with mobility
- 5-year warranty
- Lacks of Smart features
- Too noisy
Review: Austin Air HealthMate Plus Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for office.
9) AIRMEGA 400S – Best Value and PerformancePreviously in our list: AIRMEGA 400S.
Just like Winix, Coway is a Korean brand, but this brand is the No.1 brand of air purifier in its native country. As with the AIRMEGA 400S, this brand will continue to show up in any list of the best air purifiers in 2022.
The reason why this AIRMEGA 400S is the best air purifier for smoke is because of its powerful 2-stage air cleaning system.
- Pre-filter – A powerful washable pre-filter is available to help you capture large objects of contaminants. Remember to dry the pre-filter in the shade before re-installing it.
- Max2 filter – A combination of both Activated Carbon Filter and True HEPA filter, this filter can both capture up to 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns. It also reduces more than 99 percent of Volatile Organic Compounds and reduces fumes such as NH3 and CH3CHO.
As you can see, the AIRMEGA 400S has high efficiency against the smoke and odors because it has doubled the size of a normal Coway Activated Carbon filter. Usually a bigger size air filter means better performance rating in large spaces, typically from more than 300 square feet.
Yes, we said large spaces, and the AIRMEGA 400S can cover an area of up to 1560 square feet, with a reliable CADR rating of 340 Dust/ 350 Smoke/ 400 Pollen (cfm). Only one downside, the ACH of this air purifier is only 2X for such a large room, and you will only enjoy the fresh air once every 30 minutes. That’s right, it is longer than normal.
For a high-end device, especially made by Korea – a country of innovation, the AIRMEGA 400S has both the Smart Sensor and Smart Wi-Fi connectivity function. Using the Coway IOCare Mobile app, you will receive the real-time air quality notifications, also with a filter lifetime monitoring, and scheduler to control this AIRMEGA 400S.
Here is the pros/cons of AIRMEGA 400S:
- Awesome technology from Coway
- Great fan power
- Fantastic performance rating
- Stunning design
- 360° Air intake
- App receives many negative reviews
- Only 3-year warranty
Review: AIRMEGA 400S Review.
Related post: Best large room air purifiers.
10) IQAir GC MultiGas – The Strongest Air Purifier for SmokePreviously in our list: IQAir GC MultiGas.
Our first device for this list of best air purifiers for smoke in 2022 is from IQAir – a well-known Swiss brand. To guarantee the quality, IQAir became the educational partner with American Lung Association. And their IQAir GC MultiGas is what they proudly called the #1 Air Purifier for Smoke. At the top of the company’s air purifier lineup, the IQAir GC MultiGas is for those who are desperate in need of an absolute solution for smoke, odor and smell.
The IQAir GC MultiGas’s top-notch performance comes from a superior 4-stage air filtration as below:
- HyperHEPA filter – The first stage of filtration features a powerful True HEPA pre-filter, which can capture 99.95% of particles down to 0.3 microns, and 95% of particles as small as 0.003 microns. In short, this is a medical-grade filter that can stop even the tiniest viruses.
- Cartridge-based activated carbon filter – Made with 12 lbs of the highest quality ABS plastics, this filter can remove VOCs and odors effectively.
- Cartridge-based chemisorption – This stage destroys harmful chemicals, such as formaldehyde and other toxic smokes.
- Post-filter sleeve – A post-filter sleeve wraps each gas cartridge to prevent media dust from being released.
The Swiss Made high-end air purifier IQAir GC MultiGas is built in such outstanding quality and superior design with the 3D Ultra Seal, to make sure the filter media is 100% sealed in the filter frame and prevents any internal leakage. Plus, the internal power of this air purifier is flawless, too. There’s a double stage of cartridge-based Activated Carbon filter with 12 lbs of the highest quality ABS plastics, IQAir GC MultiGas will adsorb any types of smoke, wildfire smoke, household odors, formaldehyde and even Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
Don’t forget to note the HyperHEPA filter, a powerful certified True HEPA filter that can capture even the ultra-fine particles, as small as 0.003 microns. With such power, IQAir GC MultiGas can purify all the toxic tobacco smoke, soot and viruses from your indoor air.
For the capability, this IQAir GC MultiGas can cover up to 1125 square feet, so you can use it in both your home or the office. Remember that you should open your doors for an air purifier to take effect (air purifiers can’t work through walls). The New Edition fan power of IQAir GC MultiGas is one of the strongest at the moment, with an astonishing high CADR of 300 to 776 cfm and 5X ACH. This air purifier will clean your room in a matter of minutes, all thanks to the powerful fan.
Sadly, the IQAir GC MultiGas doesn’t have a Smart Sensor. You need to buy an air sensor from IQAir separately, but it can’t trigger the Auto Mode for this air purifier. However, if anyone could afford much money, the IQAir GC MultiGas is simply the best air purifier for smoke, wildfire smoke and heavy odors.
Here is the pros/cons of IQAir GC MultiGas:
- Perfect performance rating
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Remarkable Technology and Fan Power
- Extra large room coverage
- Impressive quiet
- Low power consumption
- 5-year warranty
- No Smart Sensor
Review: IQAir GC MultiGas Review.
Why do you need an air purifier for cigarette smoke?
We are always aware of the dangers of secondhand smoking. Numerous studies and surveys indicate that at least 2.5 million non-smokers have died as a result of cigarette smoke-related health issues. If you are a smoker, prolonged exposure to cigarette smoke is bad for your family members, particularly your children.
Tobacco smoke contains volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are harmful to both adults and children’s health. Smoking can result in heart attacks, brain damage, asthma attacks, and even lung cancer. For smokers, the pungent odor of cigars and tobacco may result in poor breath and stain teeth.
That’s why you need an air purifier for smoke. According to some studies, HEPA filter from air purifier is able to capture most of the contaminant particles. The certified True HEPA filter can even trap 99.97% of pollutant particles down to 0.3 microns.
Air filters for the best air purifier for smoke
1, HEPA filter
When you find an air purifier for smokers, you may have high chance to encounter the word “HEPA filter”. This term stands for “High Efficiency Particulate Arresting”, the most common filter in air purifier today.
At their core, HEPA filter is an ultra-fine, glass-fiber filter. Through the mechanism of diffusion, interception and inertial impaction, HEPA filter can capture microscopic particles easily.
Most people believe that HEPA air filters function as physical barriers that operate on a go/no go basis. The pollutant particles that are larger will be trapped and particles that are smaller than the filtration can pass right through. However this is just the interception process of HEPA filter. To ensure that these contaminant particles like cigarette or cigar smoke stay in the filter, the mechanism of diffusion will be used.
There are many acronyms for HEPA, for example HEPA-like or HEPA-type. However, if you want an ultimate protection, you need one with label of “True HEPA filter”. This label is only for the air purifier which has been certified and tested to capture 99.97% of 0.3 microns particles. The size of 0.3 microns is chosen because it is the tiniest particle’s size to get into your lungs.
2, Activated Carbon filter
While HEPA filter is powerful to purify the air around you, this air filter won’t help you with things like cigar odors or cooking smells. That’s why you need to know of Activated Carbon filter.
Activated Carbon filter is made up of a special form of activated carbon consisting of millions of tiny adsorbent pores. These tiny pores increase the surface area of the medium and allow gaseous cigarette smoke to be collected through a process of adsorption.
In an air purifier for smoke, this air filter can adsorb and neutralize volatile chemicals on a molecular basis such as cigarette and cigar odors. Once trapped, these contaminant particles will be changed from gaseous phase into solid phase. Then it will be collected by other filters, most commonly the HEPA filter.
We hope that you now understand the process of an air purifier for smoke. Also, you have right in your hand the top 10 best air purifier for cigarette and cigar smoke. It is up to you to invest in one of our list now. Thank you.