If you are here, I guess that you want to find out the best air purifiers for smoke in your house. It is also your top priority to check for the air purifier to remove cigarette smoke and cigar odor. This air purifier must eliminate both the smoke and its smell as well. Here are the most common problems you may have:
- You (or your family members) are a regular smoker.
- You are fed up of the smell of cigarette smoke, cigar odor or cooking smell.
It’s time to get rid of smoke inside your home in the most effective way. Let’s find a best air purifier for smoker in 2018.
Let’s not waste countless hours of searching through any others of websites just to find the top rated air purifiers that fit your specific needs. Because in Breathe Quality:
- We do give honest reviews (both pros and cons) and a base comparison for all the air purifiers so anyone will guarantee to have the wisest choices.
- We do not (and we never) exaggerate one product just to let you click the links and buy that product blindly.
- Air purifiers are for everyone. Believing that, we will give you the best air purifiers from low-range to high-range. To know the exact price of your air purifier, make sure to hit the Check price button.
It is difficult for anyone to give up smoking. Buying a best air purifier for smoke in 2018 is clearly the most efficient way to help you eliminate the smoke and smell at the moment.
BASE COMPARISON TABLE OF BEST AIR PURIFIERS FOR SMOKE IN 2018
This Comparison Table of best air purifiers for smoke will help you have a quick overview of our list of Top 5 Best Air Purifiers for Smoke (Cigarette Smoke, Cigar Odor and Cooking Smell) in 2018. The factor for comparison in this table is the Filter Types of this air purifier, which you should check for the Activated Carbon filter and True HEPA filter. We also give the most concerned factors as Room Coverage, and links to the filter replacement.
Remember that you should check the reviews of this comparison table. We will share all the knowledge about the pros and cons of each air purifier to help you understand why we choose these 5 as the best air purifiers for smoke in 2018.
|Image||Name||Filter Type||Room Coverage (sq ft)||Annual Filter Replacement||Check Review||Check Price|
|IQAir GC MultiGas||True HEPA Filter, Carbon Filter||1125||IQAir HyperHEPA Filter||Read More|
|Blueair Classic 605||True HEPA Filter, Carbon Filter||775||Blueair Filter||Read More|
|Airpura T600||HEPA Filter, Carbon Filter||2000||Airpura HEPA Filter||Read More|
|Austin Air HealthMate Plus||True HEPA Filter, Carbon Filter||1500||Austin Air FR450A Filter||Read More|
|Winix 5500-2||True HEPA Filter, Carbon Filter||361||Winix Filter||Read More|
TOP 5 BEST AIR PURIFIERS FOR SMOKE in 2018 LIST
1) IQAir GC MultiGas – Our Readers’ Most Pick in 2018
Our first device for this list of best air purifiers for smoke in 2018 is from IQAir – a well-known Swiss brand. To guarantee the quality, IQAir made an educational partner with American Lung Association. And their IQAir GC MultiGas is what they proudly called the #1 Air Purifier for Smoke. Now let’s see if this is just a bluff or not.
IQAir GC MultiGas’s top-notch performance comes from a superior 4-stage air filtration as below:
- HyperHEPA filter – The first stage of filtration features a powerful True HEPA pre-filter, which can capture 99% of particles down to 0.3 microns, and 95% of particles as small as 0.003 microns. In short, this is a medical-grade filter can stop even the tiniest virus.
- Cartridge-based activated carbon filter – Made with 12 lbs of the highest quality ABS plastics, this filter can remove VOCs and odors effectively.
- Cartridge-based chemisorption – This stage destroys harmful chemicals, such as formaldehyde and other toxic smokes.
- Post-filter sleeve – A post-filter sleeve wraps each gas cartridge to prevent media dust from being released.
Due to this powerful air filtration process, IQAir GC MultiGas is mostly found in the hospitals.
Also, this air purifier can cover up to 1125 square ft, so you can use GC MultiGas both in your home or office. Remember that you should open all your doors for an air purifier to take effect (air purifier can’t work through walls). The New Edition fan power of IQAir GC MultiGas is one of the strongest at the moment, with an astonishing high CADR of 300 to 776 cfm and ACH.
As a high-end machine, IQAir GC MultiGas also has Smart sensor. Moreover, this air purifier can be controlled via a remote controller.
To test the performance of this GC MultiGas, IQAir president – Frank Hammes had stepped in a chamber with full of smoke within 10 minutes. You can watch this extraordinary promotion video below:
Here is the pros/cons of IQAir GC MultiGas
- Perfect performance rating
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Remarkable Technology and Fan Power
- Smart Features like Smart Sensor
- Extra large room coverage: 1125 sq ft
- Impressive quiet
- Low power consumption
- 5-year warranty
- High-range segment machine
Review: IQAir GC MultiGas Review.
Related post: Best Air Purifiers in 2018 list.
2) Blueair Classic 605 – Silver Medal of Best Air Purifier for Smoke in 2018
If we follow the history of air purifier brands correctly, we will know that Blueair is a giant in this industry for 20 years. You can easily find a big-size Blueair air purifier cleaning smoke in a hospital or supermarket today. For our list of best air purifiers for smoke, it is reasonable to choose Blueair Classic 605.
Blueair Classic 605 is a powerhouse air purifier with only 3 sets of unique HEPASilent filter. The most powerful air purifier in this Classic family of Blueair can capture 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles through a process of electrostatic and mechanical filter. Moreover, this air purifier is perfect to remove most of the contaminant particles in toxic smoke, leave out the fresh air for you and your family.
Blueair has improved their air filter to make it less dense, therefore requires less air pressure and allows high air flow efficiency. We experimented this Blueair Classic 605 with little to no noise at lowest setting, but is still noisy at high setting.
The thumb-up reason to choose this air purifier is the rating of Energy Star. It is optimized to save energy, with an automatic smart sensor to adjust the fan speed to lowest settings. And with the CADR of 500 Dust/500 Smoke/640 Pollen, Blueair Classic 605 is perfect for a coverage of up to 800 sq ft.
Here is the pros/cons of Blueair Classic 605
- World class performance rating
- Excellent air flow with high CADR and ACH
- Smart Features like Wifi Capability or Smart Sensor
- Peak technology to reduce the noise level and maximize the air flow
- Large room coverage of 775 sq ft
- 5-year warranty
- Noisy at high setting
- The machine is big and heavy
Review: Blueair Classic 605 Review.
Related post: Best Large Room Air Purifiers in 2018.
3) Airpura T600 – Largest Room Coverage Air Purifier for Smoke
One of the best air purifiers for office in 2018 is also in our today list for smoke. Right at its natural name, Airpura T600 Tobacco Smoke Filtration has brand positioning for eliminating smoke in your home. This air purifier is perfectly ideal for smokers or Institutions that have smoking areas.
Airpura T600 packs up with a powerful 3-stage air filtration as below:
- Pre-filter – A pre-filter named Tar Barrier will help you capture the large particles of contaminants, especially tar comes from the cigarettes. This filter is vacuumable and therefore can be used permanently.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This 3 inches Chemical gas and odor filter with high technology from Airpura to accelerate the binding of chemicals faster and thus remove them quicker. This Carbon filter can be 100% Coconut Shell or 17% Potassium Iodide + 83% Coconut Shell Carbon.
- HEPA filter – The Main Particle Filter is a HEPA Barrier to capture 95% of airborne particle down to 1 microns.
Though Airpura T600 doesn’t have a True HEPA filter (because it is mainly for trapping tars), it has a 26 lbs of Activated Carbon filter. Compare to 12 lbs of activated carbon filter from IQAir GC MultiAir, it is safe to say Airpura T600 is one of the best air purifiers to completely absorb cigarette smoke. Without the True HEPA filter, this air purifier is still having a good performance rating.
There are many additional things in Airpura T600 Air Purifier. You have a 4-wheel for mobility to other rooms. The bottom line is the exceptional fan power with a CADR of 560 cfm. It also has a 360 degree output to cover a room of 2000 sq ft. This air purifier is perfect for a very large room, or even a meeting hall.
Here is the pros/cons of Airpura T600
- Top-notch performance rating at eliminating smoke, with an enormous of 26 lbs carbon filter
- One of the widest-covered air purifiers with 2000 sq ft
- Powerful fan speed and high CADR
- 360 Degree Output
- 4 wheels for mobility
- 5-year warranty
- No True HEPA filter
- At max settings, the noise is quite high
- No Smart Features like Smart Sensor
Review: Airpura T600 Review.
Related post: Best Air Purifiers for office in 2018.
4) Austin Air HealthMate Plus (HM450) – Best Medical Grade Air Filtration for Smoker
As one of the few medical-grade air purifiers in the world, let’s see how Austin Air HealthMate Plus dares to claim title of “The only Clinically Proven, Medical Grade Air Purifier”.
To stay in the 2018 list of Breathe Quality, Austin Air HealthMate Plus must have the most formidable air filtration system like this:
- Pre-filter – To remove any large objects of pollutant particles like pet hair, human hair or large dust. This pre-filter is washable and permanent.
- Medium Particle Pre-filter – Adds a layer of filtration to double the removal of molds, spores and pollen from the air.
- Activated Carbon filter – A powerful Activated Carbon, Potassium Iodide Impregnated Carbon and Zeolite to help remove VOCs, formaldehyde, benzenes, chemicals, gases and odors.
- True HEPA filter – With twice the pre-filter, the True HEPA filter will only need to capture the tiniest particles. This medical-grade True HEPA filter can capture 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
Most importantly, the advantages of Austin Air Healthmate Plus is within its Activated Carbon filter. This 15 lbs granule carbon filter can easily absorb smoke chemicals and odors.
Austin Air HM450 has similar concept as Airpura T600 with 4-wheel design. However, this air purifier has better air filtration with 60 sq ft of True HEPA filter. If you don’t mind spend more bucks to have a medical-grade air purifier, you should purchase this Austin Air Heathmate Plus immediately.
Also, this air purifier is great with the 360 Degree air output to help distribute the air to everywhere in your room. The last but not least, the room coverage of Austin Air HealthMate Plus is 1500 sq ft, which is a lot larger than IQAir GC MultiGas in the same high-range budget. However, the CADR is only 400 cfm, taking this air purifier longer to clean such a large room like this.
Here is the pros/cons of Austin Air HealthMate Plus
- Room coverage: 1500 sq ft
- Impressive fan power
- Top-notch performance rating and Air filtration process
- 360 Degree output
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Very quiet
- 5-year warranty
- Lacks of Smart features
- Low CADR for the room coverage
Review: Austin Air HealthMate Plus Review.
Related post: Best Air Purifiers for allergies in 2018.
5) Winix 5500-2 – Best Budget Air Purifier for Smoke and Odor
If you know the Winix WAC9500, you probably have heard about the brand of this 2018 Amazon’s Choice air purifier. However, you would find out that this Winix 5500-2 is truly the expert’s option for cigarette smoke elimination.
Just like the latest devices of Winix, Winix 5500-2 features their unique technology as below:
- Pre-filter – A washable pre-filter will help you capture the large particles of contaminants, from pet hair, pet dander, dust and pollen. Since it is washable, this pre-filter is also permanent to use.
- True HEPA filter – The True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of down to 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles. Can not be washed.
- Activated Carbon Filter – Made of high-grade granular activated carbon, this Activated Carbon filter will reduce odors and smokes, and protect against VOCs. This filter is also washable to extend the effectiveness.
- Winix PlasmaWave Technology – This technology is one kind of ionizers, which can further reduce the amount of pollutants. Can be switched on/off.
However, the reason we select Winix 5500-2 as our last candidate of the best air purifiers for smoke is because of its washable Activated Carbon filter. You can clean this filter once every three months, as a result it will last much longer than other activated carbon filters in the market.
While standing in low-range segment, Winix 5500-2 advances the most high-end technology for air purifiers, that’s why it has all the smart features like Smart Sensor or Timer. You can also easily control it via a remote controller.
Being a low-range devices makes its fan power not a competitive edge with the above air purifiers. Winix 5500-2 can only cover 360 sq ft with a humble CADR of 243 Dust/ 232 Smoke/ 246 Pollen (cfm).
Here is the pros/cons of Winix 5500-2
- Fantastic performance rating
- Unique powerful and safe PlasmaWave Technology
- Smart features like Smart Sensor
- Very quiet
- Bad smell
- Lowest fan speed and CADR on this list
- Some still claim that PlasmaWave irritate asthma
- Electromagnetic interference from certain electronics may cause product malfunction
Review: Winix 5500-2 Review.
Related post: Best Air Purifiers for Pets in 2018.
Why do you need an air purifier for cigarette smoke?
We always know about the risk of secondhand smoke. Many studies and researches show that at least 2.5 million non-smoker people have died from health problems of cigarette smoke. If you are a smoker, it is dangerous for your family member, especially your children if they expose to the cigarette smoke for a long time.
Tobacco smoke is made up of VOCs, which is dangerous for both adults and children’s health. The possible health problems you may encounter for smoking is heart attack, brain damage, asthma attack and even lungs cancer. The smelly odor from cigar and tobacco may cause bad breathe and stained teeth for smokers.
That’s why you need an air purifier for smoke. According to some studies, HEPA filter from air purifier is able to capture most of the contaminant particles. The certified True HEPA filter can even trap 99.97% of pollutant particles down to 0.3 microns.
Related post: Do air purifiers help with smoke?
Air filters for the best air purifier for smoke
1, HEPA filter
When you find an air purifier for smokers, you may have high chance to encounter the word of “HEPA filter”. This term stands for “High Efficiency Particulate Arresting”, the most common filter in air purifier today.
At their core, HEPA filter is an ultra-fine, glass-fiber filter. Through the mechanism of diffusion, interception and inertial impaction, HEPA filter can capture microscopic particles easily.
Most people believe that HEPA air filters function as physical barriers that operate on a go/no go basis. The pollutant particles that are larger will be trapped and particles that are smaller than the filtration can pass right through. However this is just the interception process of HEPA filter. To ensure that these contaminant particles like cigarette or cigar smoke stay in the filter, the mechanism of diffusion will be used.
There are many acronyms for HEPA, for example HEPA-like or HEPA-type. However, if you want an ultimate protection, you need one with label of “True HEPA filter”. This label is only for the air purifier which has been certified and tested to capture 99.97% of the 0.3 microns particles. The size of 0.3 microns is chosen because it is the tiniest particle’s size to get into your lungs.
2, Activated Carbon filter
While HEPA filter is powerful to purify the air around you, this air filter won’t help you with things like cigar odors or cooking smell. That’s why you need to know of Activated Carbon filter.
Activated Carbon filter is made up of a special form of activated carbon consisting of millions of tiny absorbent pores. These tiny pores increase the surface area of the medium and allow gaseous cigarette smoke to be collected through a process of adsorption.
In an air purifier for smoke, this air filter can absorb and neutralize volatile chemicals on a molecular basis such as cigarette and cigar odors. Once trapped, these contaminant particles will be changed from gaseous phase into solid phase. Then it will be collected by other filters, most commonly the HEPA filter.
We hope that you now understand the process of an air purifier for smoke. Also, you have right in your hand the top 5 best air purifier for cigarette and cigar smoke. It is up to you to invest in one of our list now. Thank you.
Rating Breathe Quality
- Average ratings for this post