We’re guessing you’ve come here to learn about the best air purifiers for allergies and asthma. You (or someone in your family) may suffer from severe allergies or asthma, correct?
DISCLAIMER: We’ve evaluated and measured 400+ air purifiers over the last few years to compile the most comprehensive air purifier ranking list available. We spent hours narrowing down the competitors to a top 10, taking into account each device’s performance, power, features, a bit of design, and, most importantly, its value for money.
Let’s not waste countless hours of searching for any other websites, or looking at tons of websites which don’t even update their lists for 2 years. Meanwhile in Breathe Quality:
- We do give honest reviews (both pros and cons) and a base comparison for all the air purifiers so anyone will guarantee to have the wisest choices.
- We do not (and we never) exaggerate one product just to let you click the links and buy that product blindly.
- Air purifiers are for everyone. Believing that, we will give you the best air purifiers from low-range to high-range. To know the exact price of your air purifier, make sure to hit the Check price button.
- The list of best air purifiers for allergies and asthma is updated regularly. We need at least 2 weeks of continuous running to guarantee the best performance of one air purifier. If one new air purifier is released, we will keep updating our list. You will never find an outdated air purifier here.
UPDATED: We have updated our list of best air purifiers for allergies and asthma on 04/11/2022. In Breathe Quality, we keep updating our posts whenever possible, and this update is the result of a 6-month consecutive experiment in our labs, so we can make sure that you will get the right air purifier for your allergies and asthma. Get ready for the most up-to-date list of best air purifiers.
Our next update will be set for 3-6 months later, depending on the release of new products from the well-known air purifier brands. However, you don’t need to wait, because the air purifier market will never change so quickly.
Prior to diving into our selection, we must ensure that you know how to define a best air purifier for allergies and asthma in 2022.
- Must include a True HEPA filter capable of eliminating even the tiniest germs, viruses, and other pollution particles, as well as an Activated Carbon filter for smoke and odor removal. To assist in preventing asthma attacks, an ionizer filter should not be provided or should be switchable on/off. Please read this article to learn about the many types of air filters and how they operate.
- Noise levels must be kept low or absolutely silent to avoid triggering asthma caused by sound.
- The fan speed of your air purifier, since the greater the fan speed, the faster your air purifier cleans. You can readily determine the fan power by referring to the ACH and CADR ratings.
Keep all these three above rules in your mind whenever you purchase an air purifier for allergies and asthma. We wish nothing but your healthy life.
Other helpful lists of best air purifiers you should read:
Time to find out the best air purifiers for allergies and asthma in 2022!
BASE COMPARISON TABLE OF BEST AIR PURIFIERS FOR ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA IN 2022
This Comparison Table of the Top 10 Best Air Purifiers for Allergies and Asthma in 2022 will provide you with an overview of our Top 10 Best Air Purifiers for Allergies and Asthma in 2022. In this table, the filter types of this air purifier are compared (which are always including of True HEPA filter). Additionally, we address the most critical elements such as room coverage and air purifier size.
Bear in mind that you should read the comparison table’s evaluations. We will offer all of our information regarding the advantages and disadvantages of each air purifier. To have a better understanding of why we chose this selection of the best air purifiers for allergies and asthma in 2022, you should read our buying guide.
|Image||Name||Filter Type||Room Coverage (sq ft)||Annual Filter Replacement||Check Review||Check Price|
|Blueair HealthProtect 7770i||Smart filter (HEPA Filter + Carbon Filter)||700||Blueair Smart Filter||Read More|
|Levoit Core 300||True HEPA Filter, Carbon Filter||215||Levoit Core 300-RF Filter||Read More|
|Blue Pure 411 Auto||Particle filter (HEPA Filter + Carbon Filter)||190||Particle Filter||Read More|
|Coway AP-1512HH||True HEPA Filter, Ionizer, Carbon Filter||360||Coway Filter||Read More|
|Levoit Core 600S||True HEPA Filter, Carbon Filter||500+||Core 600-RF Filter||Read More|
|Rabbit Air MinusA2||True HEPA Filter, Ionizer, Carbon Filter||815||Rabbit Air Filter||Read More|
|AIRMEGA 400||True HEPA Filter, Carbon Filter||1560||AIRMEGA Max2 Filter||Read More|
|Blueair Classic 680i||Particle/SmokeStop filter (HEPA Filter + Carbon Filter)||775||Blueair Filter||Read More|
|Austin Air HealthMate Plus (HM450)||True HEPA Filter, Carbon Filter||1500||Austin Air FR450A Filter||Read More|
|IQAir HealthPro Plus Air Purifier||True HEPA Filter, Carbon Filter||1125||IQAir Filter||Read More|
Top 10 Best Air Purifiers for Allergies and Asthma in 2022
1) Blueair HealthProtect 7770i – Quite simply, the best air purifier for allergies and asthma in 2022Previously in our list: Rabbit Air MinusA2.
There’s been a load of stunning best air purifiers for allergies and asthma in 2022, yet the Blueair HealthProtect 7770i (and its brother – Blueair HealthProtect 7470i) is certainly the one with the most features. It is not the most expensive air purifier on the market, but for both the performance and the value, it can beat every other device on the market without a doubt.
For the performance, this Blueair HealthProtect 7770i packs an unique and signature HEPASilent air filtration system to guarantee the best protection against allergies and asthma.
- Smart Filter – The ultimate Blueair HEPASilent Ultra technology help remove 99.97% of pollutants such as pollen, dust, pet dander, mold spores, viruses and bacteria down to 0.1 microns. It will destroy the viruses and bacteria instead of trapping them only.
When you look for an air purifier to solve your health problems (allergies and asthma), you must get the best air filters possible out there. Normally, the HEPA filter is the most efficient air filter being used to capture allergens as small as 0.3 microns. However, Blueair HEPASilent technology can capture particles as small as 0.1 microns in diameter, including viruses, germs, and microplastics, while also eliminating bigger particles such as dust, pollen, smoke, and pet hair. Electrical charging and rapid air movement together may eliminate 99 percent of bacteria.
Moreover, such high efficiency doesn’t require any trade-off. Electrostatic filtration enables the mechanical filtering to be less dense, resulting in an unmatched flow rate of clean air. This also ensures that the Blueair HealthProtect 7770i operates quietly and efficiently compared to other popular air purifiers.
Premium air purifiers have Smart features that make life easier. Advanced sensors monitor coarse particles (PM10) such as dust, pollen, mold spores, and ash, as well as tiny particles (PM2.5 and PM1) such as smoke, viruses, and germs. If pollution levels rise, the Blueair app will monitor the purifier’s work and provide real-time “ETA” updates until the air is pure.
Blueair air purifiers consistently achieve the highest CADR ratings in the world, as recognized and verified by both the AHAM and Energy Star. With a filter efficiency of 400 dust/ 435 smoke/ 435 pollen (cfm), the Blueair HealthProtect 7770i is unquestionably the most efficient air purifier available at this price point.
Overall, the Blueair HealthProtect 7770i is by far the most complete on the market – you won’t regret your choice if you pick up this air purifier.
In our air purifier ranking list, Blueair HealthProtect 7770i ranks S-.
Here is the pros/cons of Blueair HealthProtect 7770i:
- Top-notch performance
- Impressive HEPASilent technology
- Best Smart features
- Ultra Quiet
Review: Blueair HealthProtect 7770i Review.
Related post: Best air purifier 2022.
2) Levoit Core 300 – Best Under $100 Air Purifier in 2022Previously in our list: Levoit Core 300.
We have a new champion for dealing with allergies and asthma in the price range under $100 budget. The Levoit Core 300 is this great solution for your allergies, especially with it highly customized air filter. It is the non-smart version of the A+ ranked Levoit Core 300S, which is one of our best air purifiers.
Levoit Core 300 is the solid compact air purifier of Levoit – one of the most popular air purifier brands in the whole North America market. With a stylish modern design and an excellent air filtering system for less than $100, the Levoit Core 300 will keep you allergy-free owing to the new all-in-one air filter.
- Pre-filter – This nylon pre-filter is able to capture large particles such as dust, lint, fibers, hair, and pet fur. You need to clean by vacuum this filter regularly because it is only effective for a short time.
- True HEPA filter – Levoit Core 300 uses a True HEPA Filter to reduce 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, and bacteria particles. Can be customized:
- Pet Allergy – For anyone with extreme allergies with pets
- Toxin Absorber – For areas with high level of smoke, VOCs, or chemicals.
- Smoke Remover – For smoke-heavy environments.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This Activated Carbon filter tackles smoke and odors from the kitchen, your pets, or even the outdoors.
While the air filter may not operate at the same level as a high-end air purifier, it is still a certified True HEPA filter. This True HEPA filter is not inexpensive in comparison to its size, and the performance of the Levoit Core 300 earns it the title of class leader at the budget end of the air purifier market.
Additionally, this air purifier is recognized as the best due to its silent operation and increased fan speed. The gadget can operate at a high CADR rating of 135 cfm in general, which is far more powerful than any other air purifier available for less than $100. Thus, this is the finest budget air purifier for allergy and asthma sufferers available.
In our air purifier ranking list, Levoit Core 300 only ranks B-, but it is basically the same as the Levoit Core 300S which ranks A+, minus smart features.
Here is the pros/cons of Levoit Core 300:
- Great performance rating
- Powerful air filtration process
- Best Deal for low-range segment
- Quiet Operation
- Only 2-year warranty
Review: Levoit Core 300 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for bedroom.
3) Blue Pure 411 Auto – Get Smart Air Purifier to Clean Your Air AutomaticallyPreviously in our list: GermGuardian AC4300BPTCA.
With the new year comes a new contender for the best air purifier for allergies, the Blue Pure 411 Auto. A high-end HEPASilent air purifier that is rigorously tested and approved by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM).
Blue Pure 411 Auto is the latest model of Blue family from the well-known Blueair company. The air purifier now features a more attractive appearance inspired by Scandinavia’s natural surroundings. Moreover, the HEPASilent technology has been updated to a new level, enabling it to catch particles as small as 0.1 microns at a rate of 99 percent.
- Pre-filter – It’s worth noting that the fabric pre-filter of Blue Pure 411 Auto is outside the air purifier. This is one great advantage of this pre-filter, because you can easily check the status of it to vacuum or wipe the contaminants out immediately.
- Particle filter – Instead of using a True HEPA filter, Blue Pure 411 Auto runs a polypropylene fibers filter to help capture 99% of all allergens like dust, dust mites, pet dander, pollen and fungi (HEPASilent technology).
- Activated Carbon Filter – The Activated Carbon filter is added inside the Particle filter and effective against smoke, odors, gases and VOCs.
As indicated previously, HEPASilent is the most sophisticated air filtering technology available at the present. Its efficiency is greater than that of a standard True HEPA filter while producing less noise and consuming less energy. The best aspect is that Blue Pure 411 Auto maintains a pricing point comparable to the original Blue Pure 411.
Furthermore, you receive the Smart Sensor (dust and gas sensors), which monitors the interior air quality in real time. The Blue Pure 411 Auto is an easy device to operate, since you do not have to think about controlling it. Simply press one button and you’re ready to go.
At 107 Dust/123 Smoke/96 Pollen (cfm), this air purifier generates a respectable amount of fan power. It is ideal for use in small and medium rooms, and the Blue Pure 411 Auto’s compact form means it will take up little space in your room.
In our air purifier ranking list, Blue Pure 411 Auto ranks A-.
Here is the pros/cons of Blue Pure 411 Auto:
- Impressive performance for the money
- Nice design
- High-end Smart feature
- 3-year warranty
- Still no Timer
Review: Blue Pure 411 Auto Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for mold.
4) Coway AP-1512HH – Still Best Pick on a BudgetPreviously in our list: Coway AP-1512HH.
As the best affordable gadget from Korea’s No. 1 air purifier brand (Samsung’s home nation), the Coway AP-1512HH can win any conditions to be one of the best air purifiers for allergies and asthma in 2022. Actually, this device is nominated to be the Best Air Purifier not only from Breathe Quality, but also lots of well-known reviewers. Though many years have passed, it seems the Coway AP-1512HH is still the best budget air purifier you can buy right now.
Coway AP-1512HH received several excellent ratings as “Best Air Purifier” last year due to its 4-stage air purification system. This air purifier has the same performance rating as the powerful Honeywell HPA300, and hence is extremely effective against allergens and asthma triggers.
- Pre-filter – A washable pre-filter will help you capture the large particles of contaminants, from pet hair, human hair and mold.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This filter works its best to deodorize and trap harmful gas to keep your place fresh and odor-free.
- True HEPA filter – The high-performance composite True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of down to 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
- Ionic Technology – Vital ionize can trap even the tiniest airborne particles and send it back to other filters. Can be switched on/off.
First, we’re going to examine this Coway AP-1512HH’s outstanding performance. To begin, its True HEPA filter is identical to that of the Honeywell HPA300, which captures 99.97 percent of allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold, and fungal particles as tiny as 0.3 millimeters. Apart from that, the ionizer is critical to the Coway AP-1512HH’s efficiency. It charges the ions in order to attract and trap pollutants in the True HEPA filter. This combination is frequently seen in high-end devices such as the Rabbit Air MinusA2.
Likewise, the Coway AP-1512HH Deodorization Filter, or Activated Carbon filter, is excellent. It can assist in removing tiny particles, hence extending the life of the True HEPA filter; also, it can absorb the majority of chemicals, smoke, home aromas, and dangerous gases.
With this level of performance, it’s understandable why the Coway AP-1512HH has received several certificates and honors, including the British Allergy Foundation Seal of Approval.
Plus, the sound is quite quiet, if not the quietest for an air purifier. Additionally, the Eco Mode (Coway’s Smart Sensor) ensures that the Coway AP-1512HH always operates at a low level with almost little noise. You may use this air purifier continuously throughout the night to help keep allergies and asthma at bay.
With a great CADR rating of 246 Dust/ 233 Smoke/ 240 Pollen, this Coway AP-1512HH can cover up to 360 square feet.
Here is the pros/cons of Coway AP-1512HH:
- Amazing performance rating
- Advanced air filtration process
- Smart Features like Smart Sensor and Eco Mode
- Good ACH and CADR
- The top light can’t be turned off
- Only has dust sensor
Review: Coway AP-1512HH Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for baby.
5) Levoit Core 600S – New Best Allergen RemoverPreviously in our list: Honeywell HPA300.
Levoit Core 600S completely win the position of the best allergen remover from the old Honeywell HPA300, with strong performance for the price, great smart features as well as economical annual cost.
We know you don’t need a flashy air purifier, but the Levoit Core 600S is truly powerful with its air filtration system.
- Pre-filter – Using the mesh preliminary filter, Levoit Core 600S is able to capture most of the large objects like dust, hair, lint, fibers and pet fur right at the first stage of its air filtration process.
- True HEPA filter – Levoit Core 600S uses a H13 True HEPA Filter to reduce 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, and bacteria particles.
- Activated Carbon Filter – The custom high-efficiency Activated Carbon filter (ARC formula) is especially effective for cooking smells and pet odors in a multi-pet household. It also extends the life of the filter by chemically decomposing molecules trapped within the Activated Carbon Filter, which prevents oversaturation and second-hand pollution.
What is the successful formula for a low-range air purifier? 40% of famous companies will reduce fan power, while the remaining 59% will reduce the quality of the air filters or add a cheap UV-C light or ionic filter.
However, what about the final 1%? It will have a powerful fan and one of the most remarkable True HEPA filters available. Is this offer too good to be true? The Levoit Core 600S has an even better fan power than the previous air purifier in this spot.
With an amazing CADR rating of 373 Dust/377 Smoke/437 Pollen (cfm) and 5X ACH, this air purifier will clean your room in a matter of minutes. This fan power is on par with even mid-range budget devices, like the Blueair Classic 405 or the Alen BreatheSmart. Levoit Core 600S is effective in a room of up to 600 square feet.
In our air purifier ranking list, Levoit Core 600S ranks A+.
Here is the pros/cons of Levoit Core 600S:
- High performance rating True HEPA Filter
- High fan power
- High CADR and ACH
- Smart features
- Too big
Review: Levoit Core 600S Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for pets.
6) Rabbit Air MinusA2 – Last year’s ChampionPreviously in our list: Rabbit Air MinusA2.
For the performance, this Rabbit Air MinusA2 packs an unique 6-stage air filtration system to guarantee the best protection against allergies and asthma.
- Pre-filter & Medium Filter – Double the pre-filtration means double the effectiveness against allergens. These 2-layer filters will guarantee to trap large and medium particles, for example, dust mites, pet hair, large pollen, pet dander, mold and dust particles.
- Advanced BioGS HEPA Filter – It is a True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of all allergens, bacteria, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles down to 0.3 microns. Rabbit Air advances their air filter process, therefore prolong optimal filter efficiency and filter life of their HEPA Filter.
- Customized Filter – Double the protection with a variety of customized filters for specific needs like Germ Defense, Pet Allergy, Odor Remover, or Toxin Absorber. You can tailor the MinusA2 air purifier to fit your personal needs.
- Activated Carbon Filter – Eliminates household and cooking odors, tobacco smoke and exhaust fumes and VOCs.
- Ion Generator – Rabbit Air MinusA2 still has ionizer technology to trap even the tiniest particles of pollutant back into other filters. Can be switched on/off.
Expert tips: The amount of ozone is about 0.002 ppm, which is 25 times less than the 0.05 ppm maximum ozone safety standards set by the California Air Resource Board – the authorized air cleaning agency in the government of California.
When shopping for an air purifier to treat your health problems (allergies and asthma), you must consider both the amount and quality of the air filters contained in this device. Generally, the more filters, the more steps there are for removing allergens from the air. A typical air purifier has three or four steps of air cleansing, however the Rabbit Air MinusA2 features six stages and five mechanical layers of air filters.
Regarding the air filters, they are of the high quality that we have come to expect from Rabbit Air. In addition to the standard pre-filter, Rabbit Air MinusA2 has an extra medium filter (a HEPA-type filter) to remove as many airborne toxins as possible. Even if these contaminants get through the double pre-filter, they will not pass through the Rabbit Air MinusA2’s high-quality True HEPA filter. The 99.97 percent efficiency down to 0.3 micrometer particles is the highest ever measured. And, owing to the required assistance provided by these twin pre-filters, it can survive up to 12 to 18 months longer than standard True HEPA filters.
The Rabbit Air MinusA2 Charcoal-Based Activated Carbon Filter is constructed with high-grade granular activated carbon, which outperforms the most common thin layer of activated carbon. Chemicals, smoking, and ordinary household scents may all be eliminated successfully. If you have severe allergies to your pets or to cigarette and cigar smoke, you should pick the Pet Allergy or Odor Remover Customized Filter, which will work in conjunction with the carbon filter in your Rabbit Air MinusA2. With up to double filtration against all sorts of chemicals, smoke, odors, and smells, Rabbit Air MinusA2 ensures that you will no longer suffer from allergies or asthma problems.
There is only one downside, with such low CADR rating as 200 Dust/ 193 Smoke/ 208 Pollen (cfm), the Rabbit Air MinusA2 might take more time to clean your room completely. Particularly for an 815-square-foot room, this air purifier can exchange air only once every 30 minutes, requiring you to wait at least one hour for air cleaning process.
In our air purifier ranking list, Rabbit Air MinusA2 ranks A.
Here is the pros/cons of Rabbit Air MinusA2:
- Top-notch performance
- Advanced Air Filtration process
- Smart Features
- Ultra Quiet
- Low CADR in mid-range segment
Review: Rabbit Air MinusA2 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for dust.
7) AIRMEGA 400 – High-end Performance at a DiscountPreviously in our list: AIRMEGA 400.
With the improvement on the True HEPA filter and Activated Carbon filter, the AIRMEGA 400 has become Coway’s flagship model, as well as the finest air purifier for allergies and asthma in the entry-level to high-range price range. When purchased at a discount, this air purifier is certainly the greatest bang for your money available right now.
AIRMEGA 400 maintains the outstanding quality of earlier Coway models while incorporating all air filters into a single Max2 filter for improved performance.
- Pre-filter – A powerful washable pre-filter is available to help you capture large objects of contaminants. Remember to dry the pre-filter in the shade before re-installing it.
- Max2 filter – A combination of both Activated Carbon Filter and True HEPA filter, this filter can both capture up to 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns. It also reduces more than 99 percent of volatile organic compounds and reduces fumes such as NH3 and CH3CHO.
Overall, the AIRMEGA 400 is capable of removing 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns pollutant particles, and it can deal with even strong odors which can trigger asthma.
Without a doubt, the AIRMEGA 400 functions softly, with a noise level of only 22 dB, which is quieter than the Rabbit Air MinusA2. It is even silent than a whisper, and you can barely hear anything coming from this gadget.
This air purifier has a CADR rating of 340 Dust/350 Smoke/400 Pollen (cfm) and can cover a space of 1560 square feet. The AIRMEGA 400’s increased fan power enables it to clean a room more quickly than our old champion, the Rabbit Air MinusA2.
Finally, with this AIRMEGA 400, we have a fantastic Smart Sensor. Numerous studies have established that its sensor is the most precise and quickest on the market. It will always inform you of the current state of the air quality in your vicinity and adjust the fan speed automatically to compensate. If you spend an additional $100, you can also obtain the AIRMEGA 400S’s Wi-Fi connectivity, which is fantastic.
In our air purifier ranking list, we only rank the smart AIRMEGA 400S at A+.
Here is the pros/cons of AIRMEGA 400:
- Impressive Air filtration process
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Large room coverage – 1560 sq ft
- 3-year warranty
- High cost filter replacement
- No Smart App feature
Review: AIRMEGA 400 Review.
8) Blueair Classic 680i – High-end air purifier for those wanting Alexa controlPreviously in our list: Blueair Classic 605.
Blueair Classic 680i is a well-known air purifier in every region. It is recommended by both the Swedish Asthma and Allergy Association (which is under the European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology) and Today’s Parent as the best air purifier for allergies and asthma symptoms.
Blueair is a household name in the air purifier market, with products accessible in more than 50 countries. It is well-known for producing only one highly effective air filter for their equipment. In this Blueair Classic 680i, you can choose between these air filters.
- Particle Filter/ SmokeStop Filter – You can choose from the Particle Filter with the power to capture 99.97% of pollutants such as pollen, dust, pet dander, mold spores, viruses and bacteria down to 0.1 microns. Otherwise, you can pay more for SmokeStop Filter, which has one additional layer of Activated Carbon Filter.
Blueair Classic 680i’s Particle filter performs identically to any other True HEPA filter on the market. It combines mechanical and electrostatic filtration to ensure that allergens as small as 0.1 microns do not get through the filter. Additionally, the Blueair Classic 680i’s filter’s gradient structure catches particles of all sizes while preserving maximum airflow. It is impervious to clogging and will not reintroduce particles into the air, even when the filter is fully filled.
To combat against the gases and odors, Blueair Classic 680i uses a SmokeStop filter with highly porous structure made of activated carbon. We spent three months testing the Blueair Classic 680i’s air filter and can confirm that it is naturally antibacterial. Having said that, the air filter will help prevent bacteria and mold development, two of the leading causes of allergies and asthma.
Blueair’s technology is appropriately named HEPASilent. This Blueair Classic 680i runs in a quiet mode with a noise level that is even lower than that of rustling leaves on the ground.
Blueair Classic 680i is a high-end air purifier that can be operated by Alexa. This function is excellent, yet for the majority of allergy and asthma sufferers, the Smart features are often disregarded.
Blueair Classic 680i has a powerful CADR rating of 500 Dust/ 500 Smoke/ 640 Pollen (cfm). With such power, this air purifier is capable of cleaning 775 square feet with no difficulty.
In our air purifier ranking list, Blueair Classic 680i ranks A-.
Here is the pros/cons of Blueair Classic 680i:
- Awesome performance rating
- Highest quality material
- Smart features: Alexa Voice Control
- 5-year warranty
- The machine is big and heavy
- Design isn’t updated
Review: Blueair Classic 680i Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for smoke.
9) Austin Air HealthMate Plus (HM450) – Best Medical Grade for Serious AllergiesPreviously in our list: Austin Air HealthMate Plus.
If you suffer from severe allergies or asthma and require only medical-grade air purifiers, you cannot afford to overlook the brand Austin Air. This brand has been a pioneer in the air purifier business for over 15 years, dating all the way back to 1990. They operate the largest air purifier production plant in the world in the United States, with everything made in-house. The Austin Air HealthMate Plus is this company’s air purifier that can recreate the exact “hospital clean room” environment.
Austin Air HealthMate Plus is designed to effectively remove all types of allergens and asthma triggers with the powerful 4-stage air cleaning system:
- Pre-filter – To remove any large objects of pollutant particles like pet hair, human hair or large dust. This pre-filter is washable and permanent.
- Medium Particle Pre-filter – Austin Air HealthMate Plus can remove molds, spores and pollen with this pre-filter.
- Activated Carbon filter – A 15-lb Activated Carbon, Potassium Iodide Impregnated Carbon and Zeolite helps remove VOCs, formaldehyde, benzenes, chemicals, gases and odors.
- True HEPA filter – With double the pre-filter, the True HEPA filter will only need to capture the tiniest particles. Using a Medical Grade 60-square-ft True HEPA filter, Austin Air Healthmate Plus is a real deal to any contaminant problems in your large room.
The Austin Air HealthMate Plus, like the Rabbit Air MinusA2, has a twofold pre-filtration system. The Medium filter is a stand-alone HEPA filter that provides adequate protection against particles of small to medium size such as spores or plant pollen. The True HEPA filter will last up to 5 years longer with these two pre-filters. You’re not convinced? Austin Air delivers the industry’s most complete 5-Year Pro-rated Filter Warranty.
Austin Air HealthMate Plus eliminates 99.97 percent of all particles larger than 0.3 microns and 95% of all particles larger than 0.1 microns with ease. This level of performance demonstrates the true strength of a Medical-grade True HEPA filter. Additionally, the Austin Air HealthMate Plus features an Activated Carbon filter that is impregnated with potassium iodide and zeolite to eliminate Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), formaldehyde, benzenes, chemicals, gases, and smells.
This unequaled performance is why the US government chose this Austin Air HealthMate Plus to assist in protecting citizens of Anniston, Alabama throughout the chemical weapons removal process. It was also widely employed in 2016 to protect thousands of Porter Ranch, California residents from the consequences of the Southern California natural gas leak.
This air purifier has a fantastic fan power to be capable for even the large rooms. With CADR rating of 400 cfm and 5X ACH, you can expect to use the Austin Air HealthMate Plus in a room of 1500 square feet.
Please keep in mind, however, that the Austin Air HealthMate Plus is a genuine machine that runs at a high volume. If you are unable to tolerate the noise, you should consider another air purifier on our list.
In our air purifier ranking list, Austin Air HealthMate Plus only ranks C+, but its performance alone ranks A+. Additionally, the HEPA filter made by Austin Air is still the top-notch that you can’t easily find it in another air purifier.
Here is the pros/cons of Austin Air HealthMate Plus:
- Impressive fan power
- Top-notch performance rating
- High-quality True HEPA filter
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- 5-year warranty
- Lack of Smart features
- Too noisy at high setting
Review: Austin Air HealthMate Plus Review.
Related post: Best large room air purifiers.
10) IQAir HealthPro Plus – Ultimate Solution for Allergies and Asthma ProblemsPreviously in our list: IQAir HealthPro Plus.
Another medical-grade air purifier that makes our list of the best air purifiers for allergies and asthma. With over 50 years of experience, IQAir is really a monument to air cleaning innovation and competence. It is safe to state that with the IQAir HealthPro Plus, allergies and asthma will be a thing of the past (of course just in your house, and only for airborne allergies).
We expect no less than a top-notch 3-stage air filtration system from this IQAir HealthPro Plus. This proves to be the most reliable technology in the world to help filter all these contaminants out and make fresh home air quality better.
- Pre-filter – The Micro-particle filtration is the the preliminary elimination to even the micro-particles such as pollen, pet dander, and mold spores after air is drawn in through the air intake.
- V5-Cell Gas & Odor filter – Next, you will experience the powerful V5-Cell Gas & Odor filter (exclusively for IQAir air purifiers). With both high quality granular activated carbon adsorption and pelletized chemisorption, this filter will destroy any harmful VOCs and chemicals. Moreover, the average filter life is about 2 years, effectively reduce the cost of filter replacement.
- True HEPA Filter – IQAir uses an unmatched HyperHEPA filter which can capture 99.97% down to 0.3 microns particles and even 95% of particles down to 0.003 microns.
There should be no more contention over IQAir air purifiers’ world-class performance rating, particularly the flagship IQAir HealthPro Plus. This air purifier incorporates the most advanced strong HyperHEPA filter H13, which outperforms the IQAir GC MultiGas‘s powerful filter H11. It embodies what the majority of air purifier consumers desire: flawless fresh air purification.
You are well aware that this is a high-priced air purifier, but IQAir has done all possible to justify the price. Even the pre-filter is capable of capturing 55% of particles as tiny as 0.3 microns. It will contribute to the efficiency improvement of the upcoming HyperHEPA filter, which is a non-woven glass microfibre, non-offgassing True HEPA filter capable of filtering out even the tiniest ultra-fine particles. Most significantly, the average filter life of this True HEPA filter is roughly four years, making it without a doubt the world’s greatest HEPA technology to date.
You should now understand why the Swiss company claims that its IQAir HealthPro Plus is the “#1 Rated room air purifier for allergies & asthma.” Additionally, their V5-Cell is an excellent option for dealing with various chemicals, smoke, and smells.
With an impressive CADR rating of 300 cfm and up to 776 cfm, the IQAir HealthPro Plus is a beast for an area of 1125 square feet.
We’ll skip the Smart Sensor introduction because, like many other high-end air purifiers, the IQAir HealthPro Plus lacks an Auto Mode preset. Apart from that, we cannot find anything negative about the IQAir HealthPro Plus, which is an all-in-one solution for allergies and asthma.
In our air purifier ranking list, IQAIr HealthPro Plus only ranks B-, but we must assure you its HEPA filter is on par with the Austin Air HealthMate Plus, and they’re unmatched in capturing allergens.
Here is the pros/cons of IQAir HealthPro Plus:
- Perfect performance rating
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Remarkable Technology and Fan Power
- Impressive quiet
- 5-year warranty
- High-range segment machine
- No Smart Sensor
Review: IQAir HealthPro Plus Review.
If you have a problem with smoke, or if the primary trigger for your asthma is anything connected to smoke or smells, you should instead use the IQAir GC MultiGas. Although this air purifier’s HyperHEPA filter is inferior to that of the IQAir HealthPro Plus, it is strong enough to outperform all other True HEPA filters. The bottom line is that its Cartridge-based Activated Carbon filter performs at an unmatched level of excellence. This filter’s ABS plastic construction is of the finest quality and is capable of removing hazardous chemicals, formaldehyde, smoke, smells, and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
Related post: Best air purifiers for office.
What are allergies and asthma?
An allergy is a sensitivity in your immune system. It is common and can’t be cured.
Hay fever, allergic asthma, food allergies, and sensitivities to airborne allergens are the most frequent types of allergies. Sneezing, coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, dizziness, fever, watery eyes, and stomach problems are all possible symptoms of airborne allergens.
Dust, dust mites, pollen, mold, fungal spores, pet dander, pet hair, and tobacco smoke are all examples of airborne allergies. The size of these airborne particles ranges from 0.3 microns to several microns.
Loss of breath, dizziness, wheezing, and coughing are just a few of the signs of an asthma attack, which may be quite harmful for individuals who suffer from the condition.
Asthma is a common respiratory disorder that affects both adults and children. It can be inherited or developed during life. When an asthmatic sufferer’s airways to the lungs become restricted and irritated, an asthma attack ensues.
Asthma attacks are mostly triggered by pollutant particles such as pollen and dust, as well as chemicals such as paint fumes and tobacco smoke.
Why air purifier is necessary for allergies and asthma?
Each year, over 50 million Americans suffer from various sorts of allergies, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA). And it is capable of causing death! Additionally, allergies cost more than $18 billion annually.
These numbers won’t lie, you can keep reading the allergy fact from AAFA’s website.
Because you are allergic or have asthma, you must have searched for tens of thousands of strategies to assist you manage or even cure your allergies. After that, you discover there is no cure. There is no cure. And one of the most recommended strategies for preventing allergies and asthma nowadays is to discover the finest allergy air purifiers.
Most of the causes of allergies and asthma are from airborne contaminant particles, which can be reduced ultimately with a best air purifier for allergies and asthma.
Bear in mind that the more effectively you can eliminate airborne pollution particles, the better your life will be free of allergies and asthma.
Important Note: Allergies and asthma are caused by a variety of factors, not simply airborne particles. As a result, air purifiers cannot be used in place of other essential therapies.
Terminology and Definition for best air purifiers for allergies and asthma in 2022
For the complete buying guide in 2022, you can read here.
Pre-filter – A necessary component of air purifiers equipped with HEPA-style filters. The pre-filter collects big particles of dust and pet dander, extending the life of the main filter. The majority of pre-filters are washable and reusable and are designed to last a lifetime.
True HEPA Filter – This is the highest standard air filter you can get for a best air purifier. In order to carry this label, the filter must meet strict regulations set by the United States Department of Energy (DOE) and capture at least 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns. A true HEPA filter needs to be replaced after 6 months to 1 year, and you should use a suitable replacement for your air purifiers.
Activated Carbon (or Charcoal) Filter – This filter can adsorb odorous particles and gases. That’s why it can remove the smells produced by smoke, pets, cooking, chemicals, etc.
Ionic Filter (or Ionizer) – This filter emits negative ions to charge small particles like dust, pollen and bacteria and collect them into a plate.
UV-C Light – The Ultra Violet light destroy bacteria and virus by sterilizing them. The UV-C Light (UV Light type C) is harmless to humans.
Advanced BioGS HEPA Filter – A technology from Rabbit Air, to help prolong the life of the main True HEPA filter.
ACH – Abbreviation for “Air Changes Per Hour,” this value indicates how frequently the device can swap the air in a room with clean, fresh air each hour.
CADR – Stands for “Clean Air Delivery Rate”, tells exactly how well an air purifier can clean the air within a particular size room.
We hope you find our list of the best air purifiers for allergies and asthma useful. Wish you a long and healthy life. Many thanks!