Well, we guess the reason you are here is to find the best air purifiers for allergies and asthma. You (or your family) may be suffering from very bad allergies or asthma, right?
We make this list after testing 300+ air purifiers to ensure that this list is the most proper buying guide of air purifiers for allergies and asthma in 2020. We’ve spent hours whittling the contenders down to a top 10, and we take into account the performance, power, features, a bit of design, and most importantly, value for money of each air purifier device.
Let’s not waste countless hours of searching for any other websites, or looking at tons of websites which don’t even update their lists for 2 years. Meanwhile in Breathe Quality:
- We do give honest reviews (both pros and cons) and a base comparison for all the air purifiers so anyone will guarantee to have the wisest choices.
- We do not (and we never) exaggerate one product just to let you click the links and buy that product blindly.
- Air purifiers are for everyone. Believing that, we will give you the best air purifiers from low-range to high-range. To know the exact price of your air purifier, make sure to hit the Check price button.
- The list of best air purifiers for allergies and asthma is updated regularly. We need at least 2 weeks of continuous running to guarantee the best performance of one air purifier. If one new air purifier is released, we will keep updating our list. You will never find an outdated air purifier here.
UPDATED: We have updated our list of best air purifiers for allergies and asthma in 02/04/2020. In Breathe Quality, we keep updating our posts whenever possible, and this update is the result of a 6-month consecutive experiment in our labs, so we can make sure that you will get the right air purifier for your allergies and asthma. We’re aware of the new Coway AP-1512HHS, but the current Coway AP-1512HH is still the best air purifier you can get to deal with your allergies and asthma, with lower price point.
Our next update will be set for 3-6 months later, depending on the release of new products from the well-known air purifier brands. However, you don’t need to wait, because the air purifier market will never change so quickly.
Before you get straight into our list, we must ensure that you know how to define a best air purifier for allergies and asthma in 2020.
- Must have True HEPA Filter for removing even the smallest of bacteria, virus and other pollutant particles and an Activated Carbon filter to help with smoke and odors. Ionizer filter shouldn’t be included to help preventing asthma attack, or can be switched on/off. To understand the air filter types and how they work, please read this article.
- The noise must be at low level, or completely no sound for not triggering asthma related to sound.
- The fan power of your air purifier, because the higher fan power the faster cleaning of your air purifier. You could quickly check the fan power through the ACH and CADR ratings.
Keep all these three above rules in your mind whenever you purchase an air purifier for allergies and asthma. We wish nothing but your healthy life.
Other helpful lists of best air purifiers you should read:
Time to find out the best air purifiers for allergies and asthma in 2020!
BASE COMPARISON TABLE OF BEST AIR PURIFIERS FOR ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA IN 2020
This Comparison Table of best air purifiers for allergies and asthma will help you have a quick overview of our list of Top 10 Best Air Purifiers for Allergies and Asthma in 2020. The factor for comparison in this table is the filter types of this air purifier (which are always including of True HEPA filter). We also give the most concerned factors as the room coverage or the air purifier’s size.
Remember that you should check the reviews of this comparison table. We will share all the knowledge about the pros and cons of each air purifier. To understand more clearly why we use this list of best air purifier for allergies and asthma in 2020, you should scroll to our buying guide.
Top 10 Best Air Purifiers for Allergies and Asthma in 2020 List
1) Rabbit Air MinusA2 – Quite simply, the best air purifier for allergies and asthma in 2020Previously in our list: Rabbit Air MinusA2.
There’s been a load of stunning best air purifiers for allergies and asthma in 2020, yet the Rabbit Air MinusA2 is certainly the one with the most features. It is not the most expensive air purifier on the market, but for both the performance and the value, it can beat every other device on the market without a doubt.
For the performance, this Rabbit Air MinusA2 packs an unique 6-stage air filtration system to guarantee the best protection against allergies and asthma.
- Pre-filter & Medium Filter – Double the pre-filtration means double the effectiveness against allergens. These 2-layer filters will guarantee to trap large and medium particles, for example, dust mites, pet hair, large pollen, pet dander, mold and dust particles.
- Advanced BioGS HEPA Filter – It is a True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of all allergens, bacteria, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles down to 0.3 microns. Rabbit Air advances their air filter process, therefore prolong optimal filter efficiency and filter life of their HEPA Filter.
- Customized Filter – Double the protection with a variety of customized filters for specific needs like Germ Defense, Pet Allergy, Odor Remover, or Toxin Absorber. You can tailor the MinusA2 air purifier to fit your personal needs.
- Activated Carbon Filter – Eliminates household and cooking odors, tobacco smoke and exhaust fumes and VOCs.
- Ion Generator – Rabbit Air MinusA2 still has ionizer technology to trap even the tiniest particles of pollutant back into other filters. Can be switched on/off.
Expert tips: The amount of ozone is about 0.002 ppm, which is 25 times less than the 0.05 ppm maximum ozone safety standards set by the California Air Resource Board – the authorized air cleaning agency in the government of California.
When you look for an air purifier to solve your health problems (allergies and asthma), you must both look at the quantity and the quality of this device’s air filters. Normally, the more filters the more stages to remove airborne allergens. An air purifier commonly has 3 or 4 stages of air cleaning system, while the Rabbit Air MinusA2 develops to 6 stages, with 5 mechanical layers of air filters.
About the air filters, they are of the excellent quality we’ve come to expect from Rabbit Air. Beside the normal pre-filter, Rabbit Air MinusA2 is installed with one additional medium filter (which is a HEPA-type filter) to eliminate as much airborne contaminants as possible. Even if these impurities can pass the double pre-filter, it won’t escape the high-quality True HEPA filter of Rabbit Air MinusA2. The high efficiency of 99.97% down to 0.3 microns particles is the best that is recorded right now. And it can last for 12 to 18 months more than the common True HEPA filters, thanks to the necessary support of these double pre-filters.
The Charcoal-Based Activated Carbon Filter from Rabbit Air MinusA2 is made of high-grade granular activated carbon, which is better than the most typical thin layer of activated carbon. Chemicals, smoke and common household odors can be effectively reduced. If you have serious allergies by your pets or cigarette and cigar smoke, you should select the Pet Allergy or Odor Remover Customized Filter, so it can support your Rabbit Air MinusA2’s carbon filter. With up to double filtration against all types of chemicals, smoke, smell and odors, Rabbit Air MinusA2 makes sure to end the allergies and asthma symptoms from you.
Another unique selling point of this Rabbit Air MinusA2 is the Ultra Quiet operation. Powered by an advanced fan, the noise level of this air purifier is even lower than the kind of whisper, and in real-world use, you will not notice any sound at all.
While the smart features in high-end air purifiers don’t help solve your allergies and asthma, we are still happy to use our air purifier easier. The Smart Sensor in Rabbit Air MinusA2 works fantastically well, which accurately detects the change in your indoor air quality to automatically adjust the fan speed. With this feature, you can expect to just turn on your Rabbit Air MinusA2 and forget it, as this air purifier will do everything for you. The Wi-Fi Smart App is useful, too.
There is only one downside, with such low CADR rating as 200 Dust/ 193 Smoke/ 208 Pollen (cfm), the Rabbit Air MinusA2 might take more time to clean your room completely. Especially for a room of 815 square feet, this air purifier can only exchange the air once in 30 minutes, so you need to wait at least one hour for air cleaning progress.
But overall, the Rabbit Air MinusA2 is by far the most complete on the market – you won’t regret your choice if you pick up this air purifier.
Here is the pros/cons of Rabbit Air MinusA2:
- Top-notch performance
- Advanced Air Filtration process
- Smart Features like Smart Sensor and Wi-Fi Connectivity function
- Ultra Quiet
- 5-year warranty
- Low CADR in mid-range segment
Review: Rabbit Air MinusA2 Review.
Related post: Best air purifier 2020.
2) Levoit Core 300 – Best Under $100 Air Purifier in 2020
We have a new champion for dealing with allergies and asthma in the price range under $100 budget. The Levoit Core 300 is this great solution for your allergies, especially with it highly customized air filter.
Levoit Core 300 is the latest compact air purifier of Levoit – one of the most popular air purifier brands in the whole North America market. With a lovely modern outfit and a fantastic air filtration process for under $100, the Levoit Core 300 will save you from any allergies thanks to the new all-in-one air filter.
- Pre-filter – This nylon pre-filter is able to capture large particles such as dust, lint, fibers, hair, and pet fur. You need to clean by vacuum this filter regularly because it is only effective for a short time.
- True HEPA filter – Levoit Core 300 uses a True HEPA Filter to reduce 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, and bacteria particles. Can be customized:
- Pet Allergy – For anyone with extreme allergies with pets
- Toxin Absorber – For areas with high level of smoke, VOCs, or chemicals.
- Mold & Bacteria – For moisture-heavy environments.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This Activated Carbon filter tackles smoke and odors from the kitchen, your pets, or even the outdoors.
The air filter may not run like a high-end air purifier, but it is still a certified True HEPA filter. For the size, this True HEPA filter is not cheap, and the performance of the Levoit Core 300 deserves the class-leader at the budget end of the air purifier market.
This air purifier is also regarded as the best for both its quiet operation and higher fan speed. The device can run with high CADR rating of 135 cfm in general, which is stronger than any other air purifiers you can find for under $100. So to say, this is the best budget air purifier for allergies and asthma you can get.
Here is the pros/cons of Levoit Core 300:
- Great performance rating
- Powerful air filtration process
- Best Deal for low-range segment
- Quiet Operation
- Only 2-year warranty
Review: Levoit Core 300 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for bedroom.
3) GermGuardian AC4300BPTCA – New Price is More ExcitingPreviously in our list: GermGuardian AC4300BPTCA.
The representative of last-year budget air purifier for allergies has returned, with a more exciting price point. It provides an extra UV-C light filter, which is strictly tested and certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
GermGuardian AC4300BPTCA is the latest model of tower air purifiers from the well-known Guardian Technologies company. The design is nicer and it is easier to install and uninstall the air filters inside. Also, you get an upgraded genuine True HEPA filter with a higher level of filtration as below.
- Pre-filter – It combines with Activated Carbon filter to remove large particles of pollutants and reduce odors created from smoke, cooking, and pets.
- True HEPA filter – GermGuardian AC4300BPTCA also uses a True HEPA Filter to capture 99.97% of allergens including pet dander, dust mites and pollen as small as 0.3 microns in size.
- UV-C Light – This air purifier is also using an UV bulb to kill airborne bacteria, viruses and mold spores.
It is the certified True HEPA filter made by one of the air purifier leaders in North America market. The price is a bit higher, obviously, but the new air filter can remove even the tiniest contaminants in the air. GermGuardian AC4300BPTCA also introduces the signature UV-C light filter, to kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
This air purifier gets a decent fan power with 107 Dust/ 99 Smoke/ 116 Pollen (cfm). It is recommended to use in small and medium rooms, and thanks to the portable and tower design, the GermGuardian AC4300BPTCA won’t use much space in your room.
Here is the pros/cons of GermGuardian AC4300BPTCA:
- Good performance for the money
- Modern design
- Good deal
- 3-year warranty
- Quite noisy at highest setting
- Lacks of Smart features
Review: GermGuardian AC4300BPTCA Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for mold.
4) Coway AP-1512HH – Still Best Pick on a BudgetPreviously in our list: Winix 5500-2.
As the best budget device of the No.1 brand for air purifiers in Korea (the country of the giant Samsung), Coway AP-1512HH can win any conditions to be one of the best air purifiers for allergies and asthma in 2020. Actually, this device is nominated to be the Best Air Purifier not only from Breathe Quality, but also lots of well-known reviewers. Though many years have passed, it seems the Coway AP-1512HH is still the best budget air purifier you can buy right now.
This air purifier also makes a comeback, after being kicked by the Winix 5500-2 last month. Its overall performance against all types of allergens is still perfect to ignore.
With the 4-stage air purification system, Coway AP-1512HH receives lots of positive reviews as “Best Air Purifier” last year. The performance rating of this air purifier is the same with the powerful Honeywell HPA300, and therefore, is a real deal to allergens and asthma triggers.
- Pre-filter – A washable pre-filter will help you capture the large particles of contaminants, from pet hair, human hair and mold.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This filter works its best to deodorize and trap harmful gas to keep your place fresh and odor-free.
- True HEPA filter – The high-performance composite True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% of down to 0.3 microns allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles.
- Ionic Technology – Vital ionize can trap even the tiniest airborne particles and send it back to other filters. Can be switched on/off.
First, we are checking the fantastic performance of this Coway AP-1512HH. To the core, its True HEPA filter has an exact same quality as the powerful Honeywell HPA300, that is able to capture 99.97% of any allergens, virus particles, pollen, mold and fungi particles as small as 0.3 microns. Aside from that, the ionizer is a vital part to increase the efficiency of this Coway AP-1512HH. It charges the ions to attract any contaminants to be trapped in the True HEPA filter. The combination is widely used in the high-end devices, like the Rabbit Air MinusA2.
The Deodorization Filter, or Activated Carbon filter from Coway AP-1512HH, is also great. It can help eliminate the smaller particles to prolong the lifetime of the True HEPA filter, also it can adsorb most of the chemicals, smoke, household odors and harmful gases.
With such power, it is reasonable why the Coway AP-1512HH has won a lot of certificate and awards, including of the British Allergy Foundation Seal of Approval.
Also, the sound is impressively quiet, if not the best for an air purifier. Moreover, thanks to the Eco Mode (Coway’s Smart Sensor), Coway AP-1512HH will always run at the low setting with virtually no sound. You can turn this air purifier all night to help keep your allergies and asthma away.
With a great CADR rating of 246 Dust/ 233 Smoke/ 240 Pollen, this Coway AP-1512HH can cover up to 360 square feet.
Here is the pros/cons of Coway AP-1512HH:
- Amazing performance rating
- Advanced air filtration process
- Smart Features like Smart Sensor and Eco Mode
- Good ACH and CADR
- 3-year warranty
- The top light can’t be turned off
Review: Coway AP-1512HH Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for baby.
5) Honeywell HPA300 – True Allergen Remover in Low-rangePreviously in our list: Honeywell HPA300.
As the name implies, Honeywell HPA300 is a true Allergen Remover with the highest performance rating among the low-range air purifiers. That’s why in the list of the best air purifiers for allergies and asthma, this Honeywell HPA300 is an excellent contender.
Honeywell HPA300 is far from flashy, but if it’s value for money you’re after then you can’t go wrong. Let’s look at this natural power:
- Pre-filter – The pre-filter has Activated Carbon filter in it. With this, every issue of allergies and smoke asthma of you won’t linger anymore. However, you need to replace this pre-filter after 3 months.
- True HEPA filter – The powerful True HEPA filter can capture up to 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns pollutant particles like pet dander, mold, bacteria and pollen. This Allergen Remover can even capture the 0.005 microns viruses.
What is the successful formula for an air purifier in low-range? 40% of the popular brands will trade off the fan power, while the remaining 59% choose to trim down the quality of the air filters, or using an additional of cheap UV-C light filter or ionic filter.
But the last 1%? It will have both the high fan power and one of the most impressive True HEPA filters in the world. Too good to be true? That’s why you need to know about the Honeywell HPA300. Its certified True HEPA filter is undoubtedly impressive with high efficiency of capturing 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns allergens, even some viruses down to 0.005 microns can not escape it as well.
With an amazing CADR rating of 320 Dust/300 Smoke/300 Pollen (cfm) and 5X ACH, this air purifier will clean your room in a matter of minutes. This fan power is on par with even mid-range budget devices, like the Blueair Classic 405 or the Alen BreatheSmart. Honeywell HPA300 is effective in a room of up to 465 square feet.
The ACH here is a powerful 5X and an amazing CADR of 320 Dust/300 Smoke/300 Pollen makes you believe that you won’t go wrong. This fan power is on par with even mid-range budget air purifiers. Honeywell HPA300 is effective for up to 465 square feet.
Our only real quibble is the noise level of this air purifier. With the same budget, the Levoit LV-PUR131 is much quieter than Honeywell HPA300.
Here is the pros/cons of Honeywell HPA300:
- High performance rating True HEPA Filter
- High fan power
- High CADR and ACH
- 5-year warranty
- Lack of Smart Features
- Quite noisy
Review: Honeywell HPA300 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for pets.
6) Levoit LV-H134 – Flagship features at a bargain pricePreviously in our list: Levoit LV-PUR131.
As the necessary upgrade to the last year Levoit LV-H133, the Levoit LV-H134 is everything this company needs to jump into the higher level in air purifier market. It won’t be a problem for this American brand, as they have managed to build an active community and loyal customers over just a few years.
Levoit has improved the air filter since the release of LV-H133, and again, the Levoit LV-H134 will continue with an all-in-one air filter, which consists of 3 stages as below.
- Pre-filter – This nylon preliminary filter can capture airborne large objects like dust, pet dander, pet hair, lint and fiber.
- True HEPA filter – A True HEPA Filter can reduce 99.97% down to 0.3 microns all contaminant particles like dust mites, allergens, pollen, and mold spores.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This Activated Carbon filter efficiently adsorbs smoke, odor, formaldehyde, VOCs and benzene.
We are impressed by the high quality of Levoit’s True HEPA filter from the previous Amazon’s Best Seller – Levoit LV-H132. For two years, it seems this company has reached a whole new level with the new True HEPA filter of Levoit LV-H134. It is bigger, better performance and can last even longer than the predecessors. Also, the new filter media allows storing more activated carbon to enhance the performance against the smoke, odor and even formaldehyde or Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
The Smart Sensor is now a common feature in the Levoit LV-H134. You can get the real-time feedback of your indoor air quality almost instantly, thanks to the very accurate sensor.
But the main thing that impresses us is the brand new fan power: the fact that the 2020 flagship Levoit LV-H134 fix every problem of the Levoit’s weak fan power with a high CADR rating of 312 cfm. You can see why this air purifier can even cover a room of 710 square feet.
Here is the pros/cons of Levoit LV-H134:
- Solid performance
- Great add-on Smart features
- Powerful yet elegant design, with enough mobility
- Better CADR rating
- 2-year warranty
- A little bit noisy
- The power cord is weak
Review: Levoit LV-H134 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for dust.
7) AIRMEGA 400 – High-end Performance at a DiscountPreviously in our list: Alen BreatheSmart 75i.
With the improvement on the True HEPA filter and Activated Carbon filter, the AIRMEGA 400 is now the flagship of Coway manufacturer, as well as the best air purifier in entry-level of high-range for allergies and asthma. At a discount, this air purifier could easily be the best bang for the buck you can get right now.
AIRMEGA 400 keeps the high quality from the previous Coway models, and combine all the air filters into a new Max2 filter for better performance.
- Pre-filter – A powerful washable pre-filter is available to help you capture large objects of contaminants. Remember to dry the pre-filter in the shade before re-installing it.
- Max2 filter – A combination of both Activated Carbon Filter and True HEPA filter, this filter can both capture up to 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns. It also reduces more than 99 percent of volatile organic compounds and reduces fumes such as NH3 and CH3CHO.
Overall, the AIRMEGA 400 is capable of removing 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns pollutant particles, and it can deal with even strong odors which can trigger asthma.
Undeniably, the AIRMEGA 400 operates quietly as the noise level is only 22 db, better than even the Rabbit Air MinusA2. It is even quieter than the noise level of the whisper, and you can barely hear a sound from this device.
This air purifier can cover a room of 1560 square feet, with CADR rating of 340 Dust/ 350 Smoke/ 400 Pollen (cfm). With better fan power, the AIRMEGA 400 can clean a room faster than our today champion – the Rabbit Air MinusA2.
Finally, we have a great Smart Sensor for this AIRMEGA 400. With many tests, it is safe to say that its sensor is the most accurate and fastest in the market. It will always let you know the status of the air quality around you, and change the fan speed automatically to suit it. If you pay for $100 more, you can even get the Wi-Fi connectivity feature from the AIRMEGA 400S, which is great.
Here is the pros/cons of AIRMEGA 400:
- Impressive Air filtration process
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Large room coverage – 1560 sq ft
- 3-year warranty
- High cost filter replacement
- No Smart App feature
Review: AIRMEGA 400 Review.
8) Blueair Classic 605 – High-end air purifier for those wanting Alexa controlPreviously in our list: Blueair Classic 405.
Blueair Classic 605 is a well-known air purifier in every region. It is recommended by both the Swedish Asthma and Allergy Association (which is under the European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology) and Today’s Parent as the best air purifier for allergies and asthma symptoms. The price of this Blueair Classic 605 is reduced recently, securing it a slot in our best air purifier for allergies and asthma list.
Blueair is a symbol in the air purifier industry, as their air purifiers are available in no less than 50 countries. They are famous for making only one powerful air filter for their devices. In this Blueair Classic 605, you can choose between these air filters.
- Particle Filter/ SmokeStop Filter – You can choose from the Particle Filter with the power to capture 99.97% of pollutants such as pollen, dust, pet dander, mold spores, viruses and bacteria down to 0.1 microns. Otherwise, you can pay more for SmokeStop Filter, which has one additional layer of Activated Carbon Filter.
The Particle filter of Blueair Classic 605 shares the same performance as any other True HEPA filter in the market. It combines both mechanical and electrostatic filtration to make sure even the 0.1 microns allergens will not escape the filter. Moreover, the gradient structure of Blueair Classic 4605’s filter traps particles of all sizes while maintaining maximum airflow. It resists clogging and won’t re-release particles back into the air, even when the filter is heavily loaded.
To combat against the gases and odors, Blueair Classic 605 uses a SmokeStop filter with highly porous structure made of activated carbon. We spent 3 months to test the air filter of Blueair Classic 605, and we can assure that it is naturally antibacterial. That being said, the air filter will prevent bacteria and mold growth, which are also the top factors to cause allergies and asthma.
The technology of Blueair is called HEPASilent not without a reason. This Blueair Classic 605 operates in a silent mode that is even lower than the noise level of rustling leaves.
As a high-end air purifier, Blueair Classic 605 can be controlled via Alexa. This feature works great, though for most of those who suffer from allergies and asthma, the Smart features are mostly ignored.
Blueair Classic 605 has a powerful CADR rating of 500 Dust/ 500 Smoke/ 640 Pollen (cfm). With such power, this air purifier is capable of cleaning 775 square feet with no difficulty.
If you can sacrifice the fan power, you can get the Blueair Classic 480i with an additional Smart Sensor, but we believe that Sensor is unnecessary for those who just need complete allergies and asthma solution.
Here is the pros/cons of Blueair Classic 605:
- Awesome performance rating
- Highest quality material
- Smart features: Alexa Voice Control
- 5-year warranty
- The machine is big and heavy
- No integrated Smart Sensor
Review: Blueair Classic 605 Review.
Related post: Best air purifiers for smoke.
9) Austin Air HealthMate Plus (HM450) – Best Medical Grade for Serious AllergiesPreviously in our list: Austin Air HealthMate Plus.
If you have serious allergies and asthma, and only the Medical-grade air purifiers are what you need, you can’t miss the brand Austin Air. Since 1990, this brand is a pioneer in the air purifier industry for more than 15 years. In the U.S, they maintain as the largest air purifier manufacturing facility in the world, with everything is built in-house. The Austin Air HealthMate Plus is this company’s air purifier that can recreate the exact “hospital clean room” environment.
Austin Air HealthMate Plus is designed to effectively remove all types of allergens and asthma triggers with the powerful 4-stage air cleaning system:
- Pre-filter – To remove any large objects of pollutant particles like pet hair, human hair or large dust. This pre-filter is washable and permanent.
- Medium Particle Pre-filter – Austin Air HealthMate Plus can remove molds, spores and pollen with this pre-filter.
- Activated Carbon filter – A 15-lb Activated Carbon, Potassium Iodide Impregnated Carbon and Zeolite helps remove VOCs, formaldehyde, benzenes, chemicals, gases and odors.
- True HEPA filter – With double the pre-filter, the True HEPA filter will only need to capture the tiniest particles. Using a Medical Grade 60-square-ft True HEPA filter, Austin Air Healthmate Plus is a real deal to any contaminant problems in your large room.
Just like the Rabbit Air MinusA2, the Austin Air HealthMate Plus makes use of the double pre-filtration system. The Medium filter is alone a HEPA filter which grants enough protection against the small to medium size particles like spores or plant pollen. Thanks to these double pre-filter, the True HEPA filter will last longer, up to 5 years. You don’t believe it? Austin Air offers a 5-Year Pro-rated Filter Warranty, which is by far the most comprehensive in the air purifier industry.
With a True HEPA filter media as large as 60 square feet, Austin Air HealthMate Plus removes 99.97% of all particles larger than 0.3 microns and 95% of all particles larger than 0.1 microns with ease. Such performance is the real power of a Medical-grade True HEPA filter. Also, Austin Air HealthMate Plus has and Activated Carbon filter, filled with Potassium Iodide Impregnated Carbon and Zeolite, to remove Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), formaldehyde, benzenes, chemicals, gases and odors.
Such unmatched performance is the reason why this Austin Air HealthMate Plus is selected by the U.S government to help protect the residents of Anniston, Alabama during the elimination of chemical weapons. In 2016, it is also widely used to save thousands of residents of Porter Ranch, California against the effects of the Southern California natural gas leak.
This air purifier has a fantastic fan power to be capable for even the large rooms. With CADR rating of 400 cfm and 5X ACH, you can expect to use the Austin Air HealthMate Plus in a room of 1500 square feet.
However, please note that the Austin Air HealthMate Plus is a real machine which operates with high noise level. If you can’t stand the noise, you should choose other air purifiers in this list.
Here is the pros/cons of Austin Air HealthMate Plus:
- Impressive fan power
- Top-notch performance rating
- High-quality True HEPA filter
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- 5-year warranty
- Lack of Smart features
- Too noisy at high setting
Review: Austin Air HealthMate Plus Review.
Related post: Best large room air purifiers.
10) IQAir HealthPro Plus – Ultimate Solution for Allergies and Asthma ProblemsPreviously in our list: IQAir HealthPro Plus.
Yet another Medical-grade certificate air purifier in our list of best air purifiers for allergies and asthma. IQAir is truly a monument for everything about air cleaning innovation and expertise, with more than 50 years of experience. It is safe to say that with the IQAir HealthPro Plus, you can say goodbye to allergies and asthma forever (of course just in your house, and only for airborne allergies).
We expect no less than a top-notch 3-stage air filtration system from this IQAir HealthPro Plus. This proves to be the most reliable technology in the world to help filter all these contaminants out and make fresh home air quality better.
- Pre-filter – The Micro-particle filtration is the the preliminary elimination to even the micro-particles such as pollen, pet dander, and mold spores after air is drawn in through the air intake.
- V5-Cell Gas & Odor filter – Next, you will experience the powerful V5-Cell Gas & Odor filter (exclusively for IQAir air purifiers). With both high quality granular activated carbon adsorption and pelletized chemisorption, this filter will destroy any harmful VOCs and chemicals. Moreover, the average filter life is about 2 years, effectively reduce the cost of filter replacement.
- True HEPA Filter – IQAir uses an unmatched HyperHEPA filter which can capture 99.97% down to 0.3 microns particles and even 95% of particles down to 0.003 microns.
There should be no more quarrel for the world class performance rating of IQAir air purifiers, especially by the flagship IQAir HealthPro Plus. This air purifier advances the latest powerful HyperHEPA filter H13, which is better than the powerful filter H11 from IQAir GC MultiGas. It represents something that most air purifier users want: a perfect fresh air purification.
You know already that this is an expensive air purifier, but IQAir has done all it can to justify that cost. Even the pre-filter is able to capture 55% of as small as 0.3 microns particles. It will help improve the efficiency of the next HyperHEPA filter, which is a non-woven glass microfiber, non-offgasing separators True HEPA filter with high efficiency to even the tiniest ultra-fine particles. Most importantly, the average filter life of this True HEPA filter is approximately 4 years, which is undeniable the best HEPA technology up until now in the world.
Now you must know why the Swiss brand dares to claim “#1 Rated room air purifier for allergies & asthma” for their IQAir HealthPro Plus. Their V5-Cell is also a good solution to deal with any kinds of chemicals, smoke and odors.
With an impressive CADR rating of 300 cfm and up to 776 cfm, the IQAir HealthPro Plus is a beast for an area of 1125 square feet.
We should skip the introduction of this air purifier’s Smart Sensor. As you can see, beside from the cost, we can’t find anything bad from the IQAir HealthPro Plus, an ultimate solution for any allergies and asthma problems.
Here is the pros/cons of IQAir HealthPro Plus:
- Perfect performance rating
- Well-built with highest quality materials
- Remarkable Technology and Fan Power
- Smart Features like Smart Sensor
- Impressive quiet
- 5-year warranty
- High-range segment machine
Review: IQAir HealthPro Plus Review.
If you have trouble with smoke, or if the top reason for your asthma trigger is anything related to smoke and odors, you should use the IQAir GC MultiGas instead. The HyperHEPA filter from this air purifier is inferior to IQAir HealthPro Plus, but it is powerful enough to be better than any other True HEPA filters. The bottom line is the unchallenged top-notch performance of its Cartridge-based Activated Carbon filter. The highest quality ABS plastics of this filter can remove any harmful chemicals, formaldehyde, smoke, odors and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
Related post: Best air purifiers for office.
What are allergies and asthma?
An allergy is a sensitivity in your immune system. It is common and can’t be cured.
The most common allergies are hay fever, allergic asthma, food allergies and allergies from airborne allergens.
Airborne allergens can be dust, dust mites, pollen, mold, fungi spores, pet dander, pet hair, tobacco smoke and a numerous of other pollutants. These airborne particles range in size from 0.3 microns and larger.
Loss of breath, dizziness, wheezing, and coughing are a few symptoms of an asthma attack and can be very dangerous for those who suffer from asthma.
Asthma is a common respiratory condition in adults and children that can be passed on genetically or developed throughout life. An asthma attack occurs when a sufferer’s airways to the lungs become narrowed and inflamed.
The main triggers of an asthma attack include contaminant particles such as pollen and dust, as well as chemicals like paint fumes and tobacco smoke.
Why air purifier is necessary for allergies and asthma?
According to Asthma and Allergy Foundation of American (AAFA), more than 50 million Americans have experienced various types of allergies each year. And it can cause death, seriously! Also, the annual cost of allergies exceeds $18 billion.
These numbers won’t lie, you can keep reading the allergy fact from AAFA’s website.
Because you are in the allergies and asthma group, you must have researched for millions of methods to help you reduce, or even cure the allergies. Then you find out there is no cure. Only prevention. And one of the most advised methods to prevent allergies and asthma today is finding the best air purifiers for allergies.
Most of the causes of allergies and asthma are from airborne contaminant particles, which can be reduced ultimately with a best air purifier for allergies and asthma.
Remember, the better you can remove the airborne pollutant particles, the better life you will have without allergies and asthma.
Important Note: Allergies and asthma causes are varied, not just by airborne particles. So air purifier can not be a substitute for other necessary treatments.
Terminology and Definition for best air purifiers for allergies and asthma in 2020
For the complete buying guide in 2020, you can read here.
Pre-filter – An essential feature of air purifiers that use a HEPA style filter. The pre-filter captures large dust and pet dander to help prolong the lifetime of the main filter. Most pre-filters are washable and reusable and last a lifetime.
True HEPA Filter – This is the highest standard air filter you can get for a best air purifier. In order to carry this label, the filter must meet strict regulations set by the United States Department of Energy (DOE) and capture at least 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns. A true HEPA filter needs to be replaced after 6 months to 1 year, and you should use a suitable replacement for your air purifiers.
Activated Carbon (or Charcoal) Filter – This filter can adsorb odorous particles and gases. That’s why it can remove the smells produced by smoke, pets, cooking, chemicals, etc.
Ionic Filter (or Ionizer) – This filter emits negative ions to charge small particles like dust, pollen and bacteria and collect them into a plate.
UV-C Light – The Ultra Violet light destroy bacteria and virus by sterilizing them. The UV-C Light (UV Light type C) is harmless to humans.
Advanced BioGS HEPA Filter – A technology from Rabbit Air, to help prolong the life of the main True HEPA filter.
ACH – Stands for “Air Changes Per Hour”, tells you how many times the device can exchange the air within a room with clean, fresh air every hour.
CADR – Stands for “Clean Air Delivery Rate”, tells exactly how well an air purifier can clean the air within a particular size room.
We hope this list of best air purifiers for allergies and asthma is good for you. Hope you a healthy life. Thank you!
Rating Breathe Quality
- Average ratings for this post