The Airpura R600 is the starter unit of Airpura brand, but it is not a start of a collection. Instead, you can get a powerful version of Airpura H600 with the Hi-C Carbon filter inside. Who might be interested with the Airpura products shouldn’t forget the Airpura R600, which I happily introduce to you in our today Airpura R600 Review.
Updated: The flagship of Airpura in 2019 is the Airpura P600.
In Breathe Quality, we have reviewed all air purifiers under these sections. Also, we guarantee that:
- We do give honest reviews (both pros and cons) so anyone will guarantee to have the wisest choices.
- We do not (and never) exaggerate one product just to let you click the links and buy that product blindly.
- True HEPA filter
- 18-lbs Activated Carbon filter to deal with smoke and odors
- Powerful air flow with high CADR
- Overall complete finish
- Quiet operation in lowest setting
- No Smart Features
- High power consumption
- Very high cost for filter replacement
Since 2004, the Airpura is the largest air purifier manufacturer in Canada. The Airpura R600 is the everyday clean for your home, which is suitable for both the individuals prone to allergies and breathing problems and families who want clean and healthy air at home. Find out the power of this air purifier in our Airpura R600 Review.
Other Airpura’s Air Purifier Reviews:
Airpura R600 Price
As the starter air purifier, the Airpura R600 is more affordable than other Airpura machines. It has a great air filtration process with the powerful True HEPA filter and 18-lb carbon filter, and can deal with airborne chemicals and everyday pollutants.
The Airpura R600 starts with $699, which is $60 higher than the Airpura H600. With an upgrade from the common carbon filter to an Activated Carbon filter with 2-inch depth, the Airpura R600 is capable of dealing with smoke and odors better.
$699 is also the price of the flagships from other high-end brands like Honeywell HPA600B, or Philips AC5659/40 5000i. These devices are for a much smaller room, but they all have great smart features to live up to the customers’ expectations.
Below is the best deal of the Airpura R600 from Amazon.
Related post: Best air purifiers in 2019.
Airpura R600 Design and Size
If you buy the Airpura R600, you will have an air purifier with a look exactly like any other Airpura machines. It still features the all-steel housing, to prevent any off-gassing of chemical vapors, both within the clean air stream and in the unit’s end-of-life phase. With this housing, the Airpura R600 is 93% recyclable.
There is one pressure seal on the filter chamber ensures that all of the dirty air passes through the filters. Other systems allow leakage and do not achieve the 99.97% HEPA filtration rating. Also, the felt gaskets will seal the filter chamber and maximize the filtration.
The Airpura R600 is 23 inches in height and 15 inches in depth. The air flow system concept in this Airpura R600 is a 360° Distribution air flow, which can maximize the air flow and direct it to anywhere in your home.
Related post: Best air purifiers for bedroom.
Airpura R600 Filters
Now, we are reading one of the two most important factors when deciding the performance of one air purifier – its air filters. Basically, we will check the quantity of air filters and what air filter types it used first. Airpura R600 make use of the standard 3-stage air cleaning system of this company.
- Pre-filter – To protect the main filter, Airpura R600 uses a poly pre-filter, which can trap large particles such as pet hair, human hair and large dust. It can be vacuumed clean and should be changed after 6 months or 1 year.
- Activated Carbon Filter – Airpura R600 uses a powerful Activated Carbon filter, with 18 lbs of coconut shell charcoal inside.
- True HEPA filter – Airpura R600 upgrades to the True HEPA filter, and can deal with 99.97% of any contaminant particles as small as 0.3 microns in size.
With a 40-sq-ft True HEPA filter, the Airpura R600 can easily remove any pollutants with the smallest size of 0.3 microns. Moreover, you can upgrade the True HEPA filter to the HEPA 14 filter, to remove 99.99% of airborne particles ≥ 0.3 microns.
The Airpura R600 also brings back the 18-lb Activated Carbon filter, instead of the inferior Hi-C carbon filter. With 100% made of coconut shell, the Airpura R600 can deal with all types of cigarette smoke, household odors, chemicals and even VOCs. And the carbon filter is 100% made of natural materials, and you shouldn’t worry about the problem of chemical leakage from this filter. Moreover, it can last for 2 years.
For this air purifier’s performance test, I used the Austin Air Allergy Machine and Austin Air HealthMate Plus to compare the performance. I also chose the Oransi EJ120 and IQAir HealthPro Plus, which are more expensive than our today Airpura R600. The result, they all shared the same efficiency of dealing with 99.97% to 99.99% any particles as small as 0.3 microns.
You need to pay $179 for the True HEPA filter, and $219 for the Activated Carbon filter. Luckily, you only need to change the True HEPA filter after 3 to 5 years.
Related post: Best air purifiers for allergies.
Airpura R600 Room Coverage
The room coverage of Airpura R600 is 2000 sq ft, according to the technical standard of Airpura air purifiers. However, in Airpura website, they stated the room coverage of this air purifier to be 2500 sq ft.
The ACH of Airpura R600 is 2X. For a room of 2000 sq ft, it will exchange the air every 30 minutes.
The CADR of Airpura R600 is 560 cfm in general. You get another Airpura air purifier with high CADR rating again.
Related post: Best large room air purifiers.
Airpura R600 Sound
The Airpura R600 shares the same fan power as others in the Airpura family, and we can believe in such quiet fan power.
From the measurement, our testing unit is only 28 db at the lowest setting, and this is exactly the noise level of the whisper. There is no way you can hear a sound from such low noise level. However, if you are running the Airpura R600 at the highest setting, the noise level is 62 db, which is 8 times higher than the lowest noise level. For me, it is reasonable for an industrial air purifier. But this Airpura R600 is mostly designed for home, and if you have problems with the consistent noise, you should avoid the Airpura R600.
Related post: Best air purifiers for office.
Airpura R600 Power Consumption
In Breathe Quality, one of our most FAQs is “Do air purifiers use a lot of energy?”. In fact, an air purifier needs to run for a long time (usually more than 8 hours) to be efficient, and therefore, power consumption is an important criteria to decide which air purifier to buy.
Keep it in mind that an air purifier with better performance, will commonly consume more energy. The Airpura R600 has a lowest power consumption of 40W. When you run the device on highest fan speed, it would consume 120W. If you care about your energy bill, you should switch to the Honeywell HPA600B or Philips AC5659/40 5000i.
To run the Airpura R600 8 hours per day, you need to pay from $15 to $43 annually. Even if you always run the air purifier on highest speed, it would cost you only $0.1 each day.
Related post: Best air purifiers for pets.
Airpura R600 Additional Features
Both the Airpura and Austin Air families are saying no to any kinds of additional features. It seems that the high-end air purifiers are mostly for air purification, not for some flashy features to show off. You shouldn’t be surprise if your Airpura R600 doesn’t have any additional features.
There won’t be even the filter replacement indicator or the Timer. There is only one manual switch to change the fan speed of this machine.
If you like to add the Smart Sensor, a great feature to automatically adjust the fan power to suit the current indoor air quality, you need to buy the Alen BreatheSmart. Or if you need both the Smart Sensor and Smart Wifi connectivity, you should look for the top dogs of high-range segment – the AIRMEGA 300S or Blueair Classic 480i.
Airpura R600 Customer Service
The Airpura Industries is a strong brand in Canada, and they are active in customer service field. Anyone who demands an air purifier from this brand can take dedicated suggestion about which device to buy, also with a reasonable installation of Central Air System (the latter is only available in local).
You can contact them freely via phone at 866-505-7872, or via email at email@example.com. They will get back to you as soon as possible.
Moreover, this company provides a 5-year warranty on parts, and even 10-year warranty on labor. This is one of the best customer services for the air purifier, and you would be happy with it.
If you need a long-term investment on air purifier, the Airpura R600 is a great-to-go one. However, I suggest to use the Airpura I600, which has more available options to upgrade than this air purifier.
Should I buy Airpura R600?
- If you have serious allergies or asthma to airborne pollutants: you must realize the most problematic cause. If you are allergic to smoke, or chemicals, you should select between these Airpura T600, Airpura C600, Airpura F600 or Airpura V600.
- If you want a better performance, or better fan power to clean your room faster: all the air purifiers in Airpura family have the same fan power, so this is the best you could get in this price range.
- If you need an air purifier with a better room coverage: the Airpura R600 is one of the best air purifiers for extra large room, especially with the Airpura Central System.
- If you need a budget version of this air purifier: with less than $100, the Austin Air HealthMate and Austin Air Allergy Machine are perfect choices of yours.
- If you need a more silent air purifier: the Airpura R600 is really quiet for its high fan power. If you don’t mind cut off the fan power, you can look for the Honeywell HPA600B or Philips 5000i. And you shouldn’t forget the Ultra Quiet Rabbit Air MinusA2, as it packs both high-performance air filtration process and quiet operation.
- If you care about the annual filter cost and energy cost: there are many saving options for you in this price range. Choose one from AIRMEGA 300S, AIRMEGA 400S, Alen BreatheSmart 75i, Honeywell HPA600B or Philips 5000i.
- If you love the additional features: you can think about one of these AIRMEGA 300S, AIRMEGA 400S, Honeywell HPA600B and Philips 5000i for both the Smart Sensor and Smart Wifi connectivity functions. The Rabbit Air MinusA2 and Blueair Classic 480i also work great for the price.
- Cleaning Power
- Power Consumption
Buying an Airpura I600 would be wiser.