With some minor improvement, the Airpura I600 is another powerful air purifier for asthma and allergies of this brand. In fact, the Canadian company believed it as the trump card in their marketing strategy. But is it good or not? We will find out in this Airpura I600 Review.
Updated: The flagship of Airpura in 2019 is the Airpura P600.
In Breathe Quality, we have reviewed all air purifiers under these sections. Also, we guarantee that:
- We do give honest reviews (both pros and cons) so anyone will guarantee to have the wisest choices.
- We do not (and never) exaggerate one product just to let you click the links and buy that product blindly.
- True HEPA filter
- Powerful air flow with high CADR
- Overall complete finish
- Quiet operation in lowest setting
- No Smart Features
- High power consumption
- Very high cost for filter replacement
Since 2004, the Airpura is the largest air purifier manufacturer in Canada. The Airpura I600 is an air purifier for individuals or families who want clean and healthy air at home. It is also the best-selling air purifier of this brand so far. So, get ready to check our Airpura I600 Review.
Other Airpura’s Air Purifier Reviews:
Airpura I600 Price
The Airpura I600 is a necessary improvement from the previous Airpura H600. With a minor change in the internal, you can put both the Hi-C Carbon filter and the UV lamp to further enhance the air purification. This air purifier still aims at removing household chemicals, pollen, mold spores, dust, allergens, and light to medium odors.
And the price of this Airpura I600 is only $669, which is $30 higher than the previous H600. We can consider it as a budget version of the high-range product line, but like the IQAir HealthPro Compact, it is still an expensive air purifier to get. However, in the world of air purifier, if you desperately need an air purifier to protect you from allergies and asthma, this truly be the one.
The closest rivals of the Airpura I600 are still these Austin Air Allergy Machine and Austin Air Pet Machine. They are both capable of dealing with even the tiniest pollutants, all thanks to the strongest Medical-grade True HEPA filter. Or if you want a modern portable device with smart features, you can get one like AIRMEGA 300S, Alen BreatheSmart and Blueair Classic 480i for the price.
Again, we have the best deal for the Airpura I600 on Amazon. If you like it, you can grab it.
Related post: Best air purifiers in 2019.
Airpura I600 Design and Size
The Airpura I600 has some necessary improvements, but it is mostly from the inside. Look at the outside of this air purifier, I can hardly tell the difference.
Again, you get a housing like any others in Airpura family. It keeps the same height of 23 inches and width of 15 inches. The body is still made of powder coat steel, which can prevent any off-gassing of chemical vapors, both within the clean air stream and in the unit’s end-of-life phase. And yes, the Airpura I600 features the 360° Distribution air flow – the most progressive air flow concept in air purifiers at the moment.
There is one pressure seal on the filter chamber ensures that all of the dirty air passes through the filters. Other systems allow leakage and do not achieve the 99.97% HEPA filtration rating. Also, the felt gaskets will seal the filter chamber and maximize the filtration.
For the improvement part, the Airpura I600 has a separate electrical parts chamber, to prevent any off gassing from capacitors, condensers or switches. It also has a separated space for the UV lamp, which is optional and can be installed later. It is safe to say the Airpura I600 is the only device to upgrade to the Airpura UV600 – the best germ defense with UV-C light technology.
The code name of Airpura I600, “I” could stand for “individual”. Just like the Airpura H600, this air purifier is a solution for allergies and asthma sufferers. Also, if you upgrade the UV-C light filter to this Airpura I600, you will have a better antigen and pathogen sterilization.
Airpura I600 only weighs 35 lbs, compared to the maximum 45 lbs of things like Airpura F600, Airpura T600 and Airpura C600. You still have the helpful casters to move the air purifier around your home easier.
Related post: Best air purifiers for bedroom.
Airpura I600 Filters
Now, we are reading one of the two most important factors when deciding the performance of one air purifier – its air filters. Basically, we will check the quantity of air filters and what air filter types it used first. Airpura I600 can make use of the 4-stage air cleaning system of this company.
- Pre-filter – To protect the main filter, Airpura I600 uses a poly pre-filter, which can trap large particles such as pet hair, human hair and large dust. It can be vacuumed clean and should be changed after 6 months or 1 year.
- Activated Carbon Filter – The Hi-C Carbon filter is optional in the Airpura I600, which improves the prevention against light odors and light smoke. You need to replace it after 4-6 months.
- True HEPA filter – Airpura I600 upgrades to the True HEPA filter, and can deal with 99.97% of any contaminant particles as small as 0.3 microns in size.
- UV-C light filter – With an optional upgrade, the Airpura I600 is the best device to kill germs, bacteria and viruses.
The Airpura I600 just has a basic 2-stage air cleaning system, with a pre-filter and True HEPA filter. The pre-filter can be vacuumed from the exterior to lengthen the lifespan, improve the unit’s energy efficiency, and reduce waste. The next stage of True HEPA filter is inherited from the Airpura H600, which is a 40-sq-ft HEPA filter to remove 99.97% of any contaminants with size down to 0.3 microns. If you need a better solution for removing contaminants, you can upgrade to the HEPA 14 filter, to remove 99.99% of airborne particles ≥ 0.3 microns.
To test the performance of Airpura I600, I used the Austin Air Allergy Machine and Austin Air HealthMate Plus as the sample to compare the performance. Then I put them all in a room of 500 sq ft, and let them run separately for 1 hour. As a result, they all have high efficiency of capturing 99.97% to 99.99% any particles as small as 0.3 microns.
Related post: Best air purifiers for allergies.
Airpura I600 Room Coverage
The room coverage of Airpura I600 is 2000 sq ft, according to the technical standard of Airpura air purifiers.
The ACH of Airpura I600 is 2X. For a room of 2000 sq ft, it will exchange the air every 30 minutes.
The CADR of Airpura I600 is 560 cfm in general. You get another Airpura air purifier with high CADR rating again.
Related post: Best large room air purifiers.
Airpura I600 Sound
The Airpura I600 shares the same fan power as others in the Airpura family, and we can believe in such quiet fan power.
From the measurement, our testing unit is only 28 db at the lowest setting, and this is exactly the noise level of the whisper. There is no way you can hear a sound from such low noise level. However, if you are running the Airpura I600 at the highest setting, the noise level is 62 db, which is 8 times higher than the lowest noise level. For me, it is reasonable for an industrial air purifier. But this Airpura I600 is mostly designed for home, and if you have problems with the consistent noise, you should avoid the Airpura I600.
Related post: Best air purifiers for office.
Airpura I600 Power Consumption
In Breathe Quality, one of our most FAQs is “Do air purifiers use a lot of energy?”. In fact, an air purifier needs to run for a long time (usually more than 8 hours) to be efficient, and therefore, power consumption is an important criteria to decide which air purifier to buy.
In high-range air purifier segment, we have one rule: the better fan power, the more power consumption. The Airpura I600 remains the same power consumption from 40W to 120W just like its brothers, which is higher than the AIRMEGA 300S and Alen BreatheSmart a lot.
To run the Airpura I600 8 hours per day, you need to pay from $15 to $43 annually. Even if you always run the air purifier on highest speed, it would cost you only $0.1 each day.
Related post: Best air purifiers for pets.
Airpura I600 Additional Features
Both the Airpura and Austin Air families are saying no to any kinds of additional features. It seems that the high-end air purifiers are mostly for air purification, not for some flashy features to show off. You shouldn’t be surprise if your Airpura I600 doesn’t have any additional features.
There won’t be even the filter replacement indicator or the Timer. There is only one manual switch to change the fan speed of this machine.
If you like to add the Smart Sensor, a great feature to automatically adjust the fan power to suit the current indoor air quality, you need to buy the Alen BreatheSmart. Or if you need both the Smart Sensor and Smart Wifi connectivity, you should look for the top dogs of high-range segment – the AIRMEGA 300S or Blueair Classic 480i.
Airpura I600 Customer Service
The Airpura Industries is a strong brand in Canada, and they are active in customer service field. Anyone who demands an air purifier from this brand can take dedicated suggestion about which device to buy, also with a reasonable installation of Central Air System (the latter is only available in local).
You can contact them freely via phone at 866-505-7872, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. They will get back to you as soon as possible.
Moreover, this company provides a 5-year warranty on parts, and even 10-year warranty on labor. This is one of the best customer services for the air purifier, and you would be happy with it.
Airpura I600 is an air purifier for heavy users, who constantly need a solution for allergies and asthma.
Should I buy Airpura I600?
Yes, if you don’t mind to pay for lots of money, this Airpura I600 is your indoor air quality solution. It can also be upgraded to be another version of the more expensive Airpura UV600.
- If you have serious allergies or asthma to airborne pollutants: you should upgrade to the Airpura UV600, as it has a better performance than our today unit. The Austin Air HealthMate Plus and Austin Air Bedroom Machine are great options to consider, too.
- If you want a better performance, or better fan power to clean your room faster: with a CADR rating of 560 cfm, this Airpura I600 is perfect for any large room in the U.S.
- If you need an air purifier with a better room coverage: the Airpura I600 is one of the best air purifiers for extra large room, even without the Airpura Central System.
- If you need a budget version of this air purifier: the Airpura H600 and Austin Air Allergy Machine is $30 cheaper, but you can save a lot by paying for the Austin Air HealthMate.
- If you need a more silent air purifier: the Airpura I600 is really quiet for its high fan power. If you don’t mind cut off the fan power, you can look for the AIRMEGA 300S, because it is much quieter than our Airpura I600.
- If you care about the annual filter cost and energy cost: there are many saving options for you in this price range. Choose one from AIRMEGA 400S, Alen BreatheSmart, or Rabbit Air MinusA2.
- If you love the additional features: you can choose between the AIRMEGA 300S, Blueair Classic 480i and Rabbit Air MinusA2 for both the Smart Sensor and Smart Wifi connectivity functions. If you only care about the Smart Sensor, the Alen BreatheSmart is the right device for you.
- Cleaning Power
- Power Consumption
The Airpura I600 is a perfect solution for any individuals with allergies and breathing problems.